ryoder

Anyone have details on this emergency bailout video?

In this airplane, the pilot is sitting very close to the door. In an otter, there would be no hope for a bailout.

BS. The pilot of a B-17, B-24 or B-29 is even farther from an exit...lot's of them managed to bail out.

And lots didn't.

If you going to argue against someone at least have a valid point! :S
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Basically the point is that the pilots I know would rather attempt to keep flying the plane in something like an Twotter then feather the prop and hope they're not seriously hurt when they hit it.

It is really time for someone to go dig up Mike Mullins' account of the time someone mangled the tail of his KingAir.

:ph34r:

I was in the door of this King Air when it turned to shit and was unable to get out. One half of one G and you can't get out of a chair.

Sparky

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czlqHB_xcQE
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Ted Farnsworth told me about that day. You saved a guy's life by pulling him, unconscious, back into the plane, right?

Not quite. I save his life by not throwing him out. Its a long story, I'll tell you over a glass of Gray Goose some time.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

>The pilot of a B-17, B-24 or B-29 is even farther from an exit...
>lot's of them managed to bail out.

Yes - but most of the successful ones were under ideal conditions (i.e. stabilized glide.) You find very few stories of crews successfully exiting uncontrolled bombers.

Indeed, sometimes it was almost impossible. The Lancaster's forward escape hatch was barely large enough to fit a crewmember plus parachute. (23 by 26 inches.) They finally fixed the problem, but the first plane with the larger hatch rolled off the assembly line after the war was over.

If they don't feather the prop it probably will not stop but if they do it will slow, I'm not sure if it would stop completely, but it will def not be it's usual meat grinder self. ;) might hurt a bit...

Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws

>The pilot of a B-17, B-24 or B-29 is even farther from an exit...
>lot's of them managed to bail out.

Yes - but most of the successful ones were under ideal conditions (i.e. stabilized glide.) You find very few stories of crews successfully exiting uncontrolled bombers.

Indeed, sometimes it was almost impossible. The Lancaster's forward escape hatch was barely large enough to fit a crewmember plus parachute. (23 by 26 inches.) They finally fixed the problem, but the first plane with the larger hatch rolled off the assembly line after the war was over.

Without a doubt, my most memorable jump was from the 909 (B-17) at the Convention several years ago. Just as memorable was the opportunity to roam through the plane prior to take-off. I was struck by how tight many of the passages were, and could not imagine trying to make it through them with my 21st Century rig on with the plane on the ground, never mind with a 1940's era rig and an unstable/spinning aircraft. It would be a long slow way to die.

Elvisio "exciting and sobering experience" Rodriguez