airtwardo

You can't 're-make' a classic piece of ART!

With very few exceptions, you're right. The problem is, every producer and director thinks they're exceptional.

That said, there are some legitimate reasons to want to remake certain stories. I think the recent Alice in Wonderland is a great example of taking a well known property and updating it.

What I believe should happen though is much like the film preservation act, there should be a certain amount of respect given when a particular story reaches a certain level of cultural significance. I'm not saying that it should be off limits for a reinterpretation, but a simple and almost shot for shot (in some cases word for word) remake should just be off the table.

A few years ago some jackass decided he was going to remake Psycho, shot for shot and word for word. Talk about a horrible idea.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

With very few exceptions, you're right. The problem is, every producer and director thinks they're exceptional.

Nope. Being good doesn't make you money. Being entertaining to Joe Six pack does, and remaking proven films with todays actors and special effects is a proven path to that with big box office bucks following.

War of the Worlds - $591.7M worldwide box office gross
Gone in 60 seconds - $237.2M
The Day the Earth Stood Still - $233M
Charlie and the chocolate factory - $206.5M

etc. Plenty of great movies with new scripts don't even manage a tenth of those numbers.

And do a few more Sunflower paintings too.:P

I sometimes think Hollywood just can't come up with a new, good idea, so they say "remake!"

It's the cycle of regurgitation.:S:P

I haven't seen Vanishing Point in years, but I can't imagine a remake with rice rockets. I'm sure they'll put in enough digi FX to gag a maggot and make the car chases look like a damn video game, which they can market later.

Maybe they should remake Patton, only with space aliens as the Nazis. ;)

I haven't seen Vanishing Point in years, but I can't imagine a remake with rice rockets. I'm sure they'll put in enough digi FX to gag a maggot and make the car chases look like a damn video game, which they can market later.

Maybe they should remake Patton, only with space aliens as the Nazis. ;)

Vanishing Point rocked, perhaps even more than Bullit with Steve McQueen.

Both are on Netflix "watch instantly" for your viewing pleasure.

Nope. Being good doesn't make you money. Being entertaining to Joe Six pack does, and remaking proven films with todays actors and special effects is a proven path to that with big box office bucks following.

And yet all of the producers and directors involved thought they were at least making as good or better of a film than original. It's the hubris I'm addressing, not the financial reasons why the studios actually green light them.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Bite your tongue! :o

maybe they should remake Cool hand Luke . . .

I think that would be BLASPHEMY!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Or 'The Great Escape'!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Or 'The Great Escape'!

I could see that one being remade - better effects - even modernize it - or oooh - you could Futureize it! and they could ride a souped up Bat Bike -
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun