ntrprnr

Up in the Air

I read the book...I thought it was a good book, but a little weird. From the looks of the trailers that I've seen for the movie, it looks like they have changed some things significantly (what book to movie conversion doesn't though).

I'd like to see the movie. I'm hoping Clooney's character is portrayed with the dry wit and humor that Clooney does in the Ocean's movies.

I've heard great things about it but its out on limited release and I can't find a theater anywhere near me thats playing it!

Me too...Peter's lucky he lives in NYC and gets to see things first! I'm definitely going to see it when it comes out, I heard it already got voted best picture of the year from one of those groups who decides all that.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Finally saw this. It's excellent and the dialog on this is amazing.

There is a perfect irony in the way the entire film is constructed from what this guy does for a living, to what his "hobby" is, to how he views corporations and loyalty rewards programs. I didn't read the original book so I'm not sure where all of that comes from, but it's a level of genius I aspire to.

In the last few minutes of the film they take a path with the story that isn't perfectly clear. I've read an earlier-than-shooting draft of the script by the director Jason Reitman that does make it perfectly clear so I'm not really certain what happened there.

Best Adapted Screenplay? Maybe.
Best Movie? Eh . . . I don't know about that. Will have to see a few more before the end of the year to know.
Best Actor? Maybe.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I thought it was a good book, but a little weird.

Agreed, and I can confirm that the movie is quite different.

I enjoyed the movie - definitely one of the year's better movies and I could relate to the road warrior lifestyle (though certainly not to that extent!).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Well, now I know where your sig line came from!

I saw the movie today. I enjoyed it, although the person I saw it with thought it was depressing. Clooney did a great job, as did the other actors. It never lost my interest and I think it'll be one of those movies that I keep thinking about for a few days. Money well spent!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Well, now I know where your sig line came from!

I saw the movie today. I enjoyed it, although the person I saw it with thought it was depressing. Clooney did a great job, as did the other actors. It never lost my interest and I think it'll be one of those movies that I keep thinking about for a few days. Money well spent!

I dont see sig lines...:ph34r:

I figured you take away mine... and I turn off everyone elses so I dont have to see theirs..:ph34r:

I got sick of seeing far worse abuse of them then mine ever did[:/][:/]

I read the book...I thought it was a good book, but a little weird. From the looks of the trailers that I've seen for the movie, it looks like they have changed some things significantly (what book to movie conversion doesn't though).

I saw the movie last night, after having read the book a while back. In this case, you really can't even compare the two, because they are basically completely different stories. (Well, more differences than similarities it seemed. Which is fine.)

Hopefully this isn't a spoiler now, since the movie's been out for a while, but..... (Actually more of a spoiler for the book, so some may not want to read this.)

In the beginning of the movie, a flight attendant asks him if he wants the "can, sir" (cancer), and they sort of emphasize this, but unless I completely missed something, this was never addressed again in the movie.(???) It was one of the main plot points in the book, so I was expecting them to go somewhere with it in the movie, but I don't think that they did (again, unless I missed something, which is always possible).

Also, watching the "deleted scenes" on the DVD, there was an awesome scence which was almost straight out of the beginning of the book, where he is explaining who he is and the general gist of "Air World," and I could not figure out why they would have left that out of the movie.

Anyhow, it's always hard to judge a movie on it's own, when you've read the book. Too hard to keep from comparing the two and having certain expectations from the movie.