Iceburner

Need help before deployment

So, the deployment i'm about to go on is going to be unique, and i want a good camera i can mount to my helmet...obviously my skydiving set ups are too bulky....was thinking about a go-pro...anyone have a suggestion? Was going to post this in the photography/video section, but i dont know if it'd get as much attention. Please pm me or just reply to this! Thanks in advanceB|

P.S. it would need to mount to my kevlar and not get in the way of the nvg's...if there is such a thing possible. Would also prefer it to be able to have decent battery life, record a good hour +, decent to good quality vids.

Not sure how a go-pro would stick to your MICH/ACH (considering as that color is from the paint they use and can/will flake off)

Mounting on top of the helmet (to be out of the way of your NVG's may prove to be a bigger pain in the ass than its worth. I can barely sit in a HMMWV with my NVG's folded up, and a Go-Pro is alot higher profile on top of a helmet. (MRAPs aren't so bad, but watch out getting in and out of it!)

Don't go drillin holes in it either, thats a good way to screw it up!(not to mention you will have to explain why you screwed up a perfectly good helmet and maybe even pay for it)

I have a Surefire helmet lamp that mounts on the side of my helmet, you could probably use something like that, and modify it to hold a pen type camera... but the lamp alone is > $125 last I checked.

Good luck though, let us know what you figure out!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

yea, i have the surfire mount as well, actually, i have 2 of them...so i could probably rig one to fit on one side. Any suggestions on bullet cameras? Most of them that i have seen suck quality wise, and i did consider the go-pro but wasn't sure how high up it sits...Thanks for the response though

Check out the Contour, you could rig that up fairly easily. The other system(Wilcox) I have used is smaller but out of the average persons budget and not for public sale. The Wilcox camera system is pretty trick as it integrates with your NVGs and records everything you see through your NVGs.

Camera

Camera with NVGs

main body and batteries
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Just as with skydiving, shooting video is not going to be the primary focus for me...would want to have it for debriefs on patrols, and to see what we may have missed. Again, the deployment i'm going on is very non-traditional for the Marines, and the camera idea was recommended for debriefs. But, i understand the point, same reason even i tell new jumpers not to use the camera, it can be a distraction...which is why i want something with decent battery life...so i can turn it on, and forget about it.

Be safe over there! Good luck with the video too :)

Sex with sith is like sex with a stripper. A lot of flashing lights and waving of glowing sabers, but in the end you end up with something dark and wrinkely.

DPH# "-13"
TSK# "-13"

We had a bunch of these in our TPE. They've got tons of mounting adapters and record to an SD card. Batteries probably won't last a whole patrol though. We didn't use them much but it might work for you.

http://www.vio-pov.com/products/index.php

The unit itself is ruggedized and it looks well built but it doesn't interface with NVGs and the video is really crappy. The only good thing I can say about this system is that it is ruggedized. I played with one when they first came out and as soon as I saw the playback and lack of quality I didn't bother with it anymore.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

First, Thanks for your service.

The GoPro HD for helmets coem with 2 mounts, one being a strap design. That way you wont need to epoxy or screw it to your helmet and it can be removed quickly if necessary.
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

First, Thanks for your service.

The GoPro HD for helmets coem with 2 mounts, one being a strap design. That way you wont need to epoxy or screw it to your helmet and it can be removed quickly if necessary.

But it will interfere with the wearing of NODs
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

little NVG/camera tip, have a counter weight on the helmet, a few grams in the back and on the opposite side of the camera will even out the weight and make it 100x more comfortable...... to wear....took 2yrs of us flying before they came up with the idea
IHYD