bertusgeert

Firefighter - plusses & minuses?

Are there any firefighters here? Sitting around a fire this weekend, someone convinced me that I should seriously think about becoming one. I'm considering volunteering (once I find a more permanent place to call home).

I've read things here and there about it, and seems to me that it would be a great job for not only safety & emergency skills but mainly that you have large amounts of free time. Continued education as well. It may not pay fantastic, but on a daily basis (I assume you get to sleep some of your 24 hour shifts) it's a pretty good equation. And after some time and a few promotions the salaries are very good.

Add in the benefits (great healthcare and retirement after 20 - 25 years of service) and it becomes a pretty attractive option.

What am I missing?

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

The politics, the BS you have to deal with every day with a smile on your face, the lack of sleep, mandatory overtime, and dumb ass dinosaur chief officers with a high school education or lower that got promoted simply due to years of service that expect you to actually follow their idiotic commands.....besides that it's a great job!!!!
I've been a professional paramedic/firefighter 23 years now. If it wasn't for getting promoted when I did, I would have left a long time ago. I, to this day have no clue how some of those guys make it 30 years as a private or engineer, those guys are the real hardcore fellas!!

+ Best job in the world.
- Degree in fire science, Paramedic license, EMT experience, Internship with a fire department, Cadet with another, lots of volunteer work, Fire academy..etc..(years). Still haven't been hired.
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

+ Best job in the world.
- Degree in fire science, Paramedic license, EMT experience, Internship with a fire department, Cadet with another, lots of volunteer work, Fire academy..etc..(years). Still haven't been hired.
~J

I thought it would be easy once qualified - I guess there is more supply and less demand than I thought?

+: Chicks dig firefighters
-: You could die.

pretty much the same for skydivers :D

Exept they even like the ones that are not Tandem/AFF Fire instructors.:D:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I'm not sure that average whuffo chicks dig skydivers that much, because it's done only for sport, and is often perceived as crazy. Firefighters on the other hand, take their risks to save lives, which is far more cool than just doing it for fun.

I'm not sure that average whuffo chicks dig skydivers that much, because it's done only for sport, and is often perceived as crazy. Firefighters on the other hand, take their risks to save lives, which is far more cool than just doing it for fun.

best combo: Smokejumper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuTpLPPjfQY&feature=related

Except then you're stuck in Missoula, or rural Oregon, and that defeats the purpose.

best combo: Smokejumper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuTpLPPjfQY&feature=related

Except then you're stuck in Missoula, or rural Oregon, and that defeats the purpose.

Oh - I dunno - I know a chick from missoula that could light the forest on fire just by walking by . . .:D There are a lot of hotties in Montana.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I think it would be a great gig if you can get on, but right now, at least where I live, many services such as law enforcement and fire are being cut back drastically. I have a friend who tried for three or four years to get on to the Reno Fire Dept which has about 20 stations, and that was when the economy was good. Now that it stinks, they are on a hiring freeze, many have been laid off and they have actually closed some fire stations and cut back employees on others. My friend finally got on, but is not making good money.

Like others have said, you need to be a top candidate to be competitive. Think long and hard about if you really want to do it, don't just make an overnight decision. Go visit fire stations and talk to the guys. Read info on the internet about how to get started. But remember...firefighting isn't all about fighting fire. Most calls are medic calls without a hint of smoke. And many times, especially if you get placed at a slow station, your work could really lack mental stimulation. But there are also awesome parts of the job as well that are no doubt very rewarding.

If you decide its what you want to do, go for it! You only live once...might as well do what makes you happy :) Good luck
And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

+ Schedule seems to be good and you can sleep sometimes at work.
+ Stability and good benefits if you can make it long enough.

- Dealing with "medical" calls that are just lonely/obese/stupid/whatever people.
- Seeing dead and severaly injured people at work.

"Ignorance is bliss" and "Patience is a virtue"... So if you're stupid and don't mind waiting around for a while, I guess you can have a pretty good life!

I just retired last month after 31 years on the job. It's the best job in the world.

If you want to get hired you have to go into it with the right attitude, get some good advice from the guys in the area you want to work and take as many tests as possible.

If you have a DUI or arrest, any health issues or something in your background that isn't good...forget it.

Think about this. What does a -enter a boring job here-have to talk about after 30 years on the job? It's an adventure for sure.B|

Speaking from someone who was recetly in you boat... Ive got my fire certs and paramedic liscense. Sofar im on my second job as a medic and have yet to be hired as a FF. The first job is with a private medic company which just was a job to get me experience. Just today i got the call from Escambia county over in pensacola tellig me i passed everything and will be workig for them as soon as i give mycurrent place 2 weeks notice.
Yeah even as a true firefighter 99% of your calls are going to he bullshit medical calls so if you dont think you can handle that kinda stuff then this isn the field for you. And yes you WILL see some very very fucked up stuff. So far in my year of training and 8 months of real work ive donne compressions on a 4 year old drowning victim, had to get an id off a 9 day old dead body locked in a trailer in the summer heat o florida and literally watched a bus of kids roll twice in my rearview mirror. But i still wouldn trade this job for the world.

Sorry for the pisspoor spelling and grammar. Im typing this from my iphone which is currently hating me
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.