iluvtofly

What computer to get?

So I was really hoping to get a Macbook but my budget just isn't going to allow for it. So what computer would you recommend? Dell? HP? Toshiba? Something else? Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have a Dell Studio 1555, dells have worked out great for me. All of their service manuals are online, so its REALLY easy to replace/upgrade anything you want.

Prior to my studio, I had (still have) an Inspiron e1505. Its been to the middle east 5 times now, still works, just needs a new battery. (minus all the scratches and whatnot from being my primary computer for 4+ years)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

How is it with video editing?

I haven't done much video editing on it (aint got much to video around these parts) but for what Ive done with it, I havent had any issues. I have a dual core 2.4ghz intel processor. It can handle quite a bit.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

DEC Vax 11/785
With 64Mb ram and the I/O cards.
You're going to need to re-wire the house first.
Learning DCL would help too.

Easy killer... dont want to overload her all at once.

Let me see if I can find my Apple IIe... would be great for video editing, any color you want, as long as its green.

DEC Vax 11/785

WOW a whole 64Mb of ram...REALLY??? That's gotta cost an arm and a leg. I really don't think I can afford it. But it would be the fastest computer on earth. Absolutely no problems editing video with that thing. :D:D:D:D:D:D

DEC Vax 11/785

WOW a whole 64Mb of ram...REALLY??? That's gotta cost an arm and a leg. I really don't think I can afford it. But it would be the fastest computer on earth. Absolutely no problems editing video with that thing. :D:D:D:D:D:D

I assure you, you will have no issues editing any video on either of those systems. :P:)

So I was really hoping to get a Macbook but my budget just isn't going to allow for it. So what computer would you recommend? Dell? HP? Toshiba? Something else? Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Have you checked with Best Buy? My mom recently got a great deal on a Macbook there. Best Buy had a pretty good (maybe even 0% financing) deal. If you really want the Macbook, it might be worth checking into.

Have you checked with Best Buy? My mom recently got a great deal on a Macbook there. Best Buy had a pretty good (maybe even 0% financing) deal. If you really want the Macbook, it might be worth checking into.

Yeah...looked there. Even with the 0% financing I can't afford monthly payments that large.

whatever you do don't buy a toshiba. i bought one and had nothing but problems with it. i had to bring it in for servicing 3 times(still under warranty thank god) before i got rid of the piece of crap. a friend of mine had a toshiba and had a whole bunch of problems with hers as well...

i just bought a sony vaio and so far i like it. not a bad price for what i got. havent tried video editing but eventually i'd like to being that i want to learn to do it.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

whatever you do don't buy a toshiba. i bought one and had nothing but problems with it. i had to bring it in for servicing 3 times(still under warranty thank god) before i got rid of the piece of crap. a friend of mine had a toshiba and had a whole bunch of problems with hers as well...

i just bought a sony vaio and so far i like it. not a bad price for what i got. havent tried video editing but eventually i'd like to being that i want to learn to do it.

Well, opinions vary.

I've had my Toshiba for 2 years now and haven't had a single problem with it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

The studio xps dells are good machines for the money. Which is What it comes down to the low end of any manufacturer is terrible.

Avoid apple completely unless you want to sell Your soul to Jobs forever and never learn hoe your machine really works. That said when you get whatever you get have someone who knows how they work remove the bloatware (everything you don't need for your use) and make a backup CD from there.

I don't know what your budget is, but I am a huge fan of Fujitsu. The Lifebook series starts at pretty affordable ranges and even nicely appointed ones are under $1,000.00.

If you have the budget to custom build it, it is assembled and shipped from Japan.

I have a T5010 Tablet (now the T900-series) and it has been putting up with my highly mobile environment. When I'm home and place it in the docking station, it performs admirably.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

hi dude! im currently using a acer 5542, im using it for music production (ableton live) thats sort of thing. my bro does photo editing as well, cant go wrong with a acer,dell or asus. if you have the money though go for a macbook. B| hope this helps

www.facebook.com/ashley.paine1 - give me a add!

blue skies!!

don't buy toshiba or dell, i have seen nothing but trouble come from them

Lenovo definitely makes the best quality computer

Except they have their own special keyboard layout with the function and control keys swapped so you need to undo decades of muscle memory (although some models purportedly have a BIOS setting for this).

And they reserve 'performance' features for 'business' laptops so you can spend $800 more (buying your memory and hard disk from elsewhere) for the same configuration that you'd get from a less expensive Dell line.