bertusgeert

New Apartment, Old Smoke Smell

I've never had to deal with this, and some of you probably have some experience. btw, I don't smoke.

I was about to sign a lease agreement with a townhouse complex, when I asked to see the apartment first (they weren't ready yet last week - require 1 week for all apartments between renters). I went into the apartment, nice and clean, no complaints, I love it.

But, there is a definite stale smoke smell.

I told them they need to fix it. They said they will clean it out today, with an "ozone?" machine - no humans can be in the apartment, they remove all the oxygen and replace it.

This seems to me like it may temporarily fix the problem, but not the cause (the carpet, I guess). I am weary about judging it tomorrow and signing the lease if the problem will return in 2 days.

I would prefer keeping my location, although I'm open to switching apartments if possible.

The question then is - is it possible to remove the smell completely? Or is it something that is stuck there forever?

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

Good luck if the occupants were heavy smokers, especially if you are really sensitive to the smell. Of course the carpet, but even the drywall, etc. can retain the smell. I have an extremely sensitive nose and have run into the same problem. The first time or two I just found a different place. Once I talked the place into a first month trial period before signing and found that nothing they had done worked, including replacing the carpet.
Killing threads since 2004.

They said they will clean it out today, with an "ozone?" machine - no humans can be in the apartment, they remove all the oxygen and replace it.

Is that one of the machines they use on cruise ships to clean the smoking suites to non-smoking suites between guests? I've never been on a cruise but my ex-inlaws are avid cruisers and huge no smoke smell freaks (like me). They swear whatever they do totally works.

Good luck!!!
Always be kinder than you feel.

They said they will clean it out today, with an "ozone?" machine - no humans can be in the apartment, they remove all the oxygen and replace it.

Is that one of the machines they use on cruise ships to clean the smoking suites to non-smoking suites between guests? I've never been on a cruise but my ex-inlaws are avid cruisers and huge no smoke smell freaks (like me). They swear whatever they do totally works.

Good luck!!!

They sink the ship, washes out everything, then they remove the water and replace it with air to get it back up.

I figured a diver would know that.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Good luck!!!

They sink the ship, washes out everything, then they remove the water and replace it with air to get it back up.

I figured a diver would know that.

Never thought of that. My lift bag is only rated for 50 pounds. :P:P:P
Always be kinder than you feel.

Good luck!!!

Well, I went back the next day, and it was better, but no dice. Still smelled 50% of what I smelled the day before.

I argued that they need to let me paint for free, and replace the carpet, or I'm going elsewhere - I can't live like this.

I ended up negotiating for another room - and ended up getting a better deal as a result. Now I live on the second floor - which also means less scorpions, so I'm all set.

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

Wash the walls and cabinets (inside and out) with a white vinegar/water solution. Works well. If there is carpeting, they should take care of that.

Yep, and for an over the counter cure , Fabreeze works wonders!

IF it was advertised as a Non smoking apt...I'd have the landlord fix it!

I've never had to deal with this, and some of you probably have some experience. btw, I don't smoke.

I was about to sign a lease agreement with a townhouse complex, when I asked to see the apartment first (they weren't ready yet last week - require 1 week for all apartments between renters). I went into the apartment, nice and clean, no complaints, I love it.

But, there is a definite stale smoke smell.

I told them they need to fix it. They said they will clean it out today, with an "ozone?" machine - no humans can be in the apartment, they remove all the oxygen and replace it.

This seems to me like it may temporarily fix the problem, but not the cause (the carpet, I guess). I am weary about judging it tomorrow and signing the lease if the problem will return in 2 days.

I would prefer keeping my location, although I'm open to switching apartments if possible.

The question then is - is it possible to remove the smell completely? Or is it something that is stuck there forever?

An ozone machine can work wonders, but, it would take more than a 24 hours. I have let the machines run for 4 or 5 days before any change was noticed. Heavy smoke requires deep cleaning, painting and ozone.

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"