NewGuy2005

Is there a veterinarian in the house?

Hope so. I forgot to give my dog his heartworm pill in August. So I gave it to him last night. He spends most of his time in the house. We have a fenced back yard. We take him for walks 2-3 time per week.

Do I need to have him tested?

I'm not a vet, but you should have him tested just to be sure.

Our dogs get their heartworm pills once a month. If your dogs medication is on the same monthly cycle, and he last got one on an unnamed day in August, then he is just over two or just over three months late.

Call your vet! The pills you give your dog to prevent heartworms could kill him if he has heartworms.

How long does it take before heartworm infection can be detected by blood tests?

It takes seven months from the time a dog is bitten by infected mosquitoes until a blood test can accurately detect the presence of adult female worms. How long does it take before heartworm infection can be detected by blood tests?

It takes seven months from the time a dog is bitten by infected mosquitoes until a blood test can accurately detect the presence of adult female worms.

I have missed two months of heartworm prevention for my dog. Should I worry?

Monthly heartworm preventives kill the heartworm larvae that accumulate in the dog’s body during the month prior to dosing. In addition, these formulations have an additional month of safety-net (reach-back, retroactive) efficacy when dosing is resumed. The extended efficacy of these preventives is a safeguard in the event of inadvertent delay or omission of a regularly scheduled dose and does not justify lengthening the recommended interval of administration. If the lapse in administration of a monthly formulation or the injectable product is three to six months, dosing should resume immediately and the dog should be tested for possible infection seven to 12 months later. The reason for testing seven months later is that heartworms must be about seven months old before the infection can be diagnosed.

With daily heartworm preventives, if the gap in administration is less than two months, one to two doses of a monthly preventive should restore protection. If the lapse in administration is three to six months, switch to a monthly preventive immediately and test the dog seven to 12 months later.

SOURCE: http://www.hamiltonhumane.com/heartworm/heartworm.htm

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.