npgraphicdesign

Any skydivers purchased a 'skydive' ambigram decal on Ebay?

As some of you know, I am a graphic designer who designs ambigrams (words that read as the same or another word when rotated, reflected, mirrored, etc. Think 'Angels and Demons' http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_0RoaeTB_vTs/SebaDA6r0JI/AAAAAAAAALM/R5nTXcwXA2k/s1600-h/Angels%26Demons.gif)

Well, I created a 'skydive' ambigram about 2 years ago, and yesterday a friend send me a text and said he saw decals of my ambigram for sale on Ebay. It has been ripped off from my website or flickr page, so I contacted Ebay and the listing has been removed, but it also shows that several people bought it. If you bought it, please be aware that you've purchased a decal from someone who is dishonest and stole my work without my permission. :S:|

Now the question is...should I be really ticked off? ;) On one hand, it means that someone likes your work enough to copy it. On the other hand, they're making money from your creativity and hard work. :o

Just part of Business!

Just like Skyride: they're just regular business people... :S

To the OP: Yes, you should be pissed off. It's theft.

Well, I am pretty ticked off. But I think if I find the person who did this, I won't get mad at them. I'll simply tie them up and have that ambigram tattooed on their forehead...and misspell it! I think that's an acceptable measure of revenge. ;)

You should be pissed. It's theft.

The person making money off of your ideas/creations should pay you for it.

Depending on how much time/effort/money you wish to put out, you could go after the person. It also depends on what kind of proof you have that it's your design, and that you didn't put it out for free use - That's lawyer territory.

Ashleigh Brilliant has successfully gone after a wide variety of people who used his work without permission.
It isn't mentioned here, but he was "awarded" several tons of postcards that infringed on his work and had a rather difficult time disposing of them (Be careful what you wish for).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Depending on how much time/effort/money you wish to put out, you could go after the person. It also depends on what kind of proof you have that it's your design, and that you didn't put it out for free use - That's lawyer territory.

Ashleigh Brilliant has successfully gone after a wide variety of people who used his work without permission.
It isn't mentioned here, but he was "awarded" several tons of postcards that infringed on his work and had a rather difficult time disposing of them (Be careful what you wish for).

Waste of time and money, many dealers doing that shit on Ebay...She, (I think tthe OP is a woman) has done about all that is worth the money to do, that and keeep an eye out for who that company is, which is why I would have bought one, "Then" turned them into Ebay, that way you'd know who they are, and could make sure it was stopped...

You would have had to trademark the final product to lay claim to it. Did you? Otherwise it is fair game for anyone to duplicate. You must have also included the "tm" symbol when you put it on your website to protect your trademark.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

That's not correct. Trademarks designate a source of goods; the theft here is the image itself, which is protected by copyright. You could recover lost profits and statutory damages. Copyrights arise from putting pen to paper, you don't need to register them (unless you actually want to sue someone).

If you can track down the seller, we can send him or her a nasty-gram (a demand letter) asking for some kind of compensation. I helped Matt Hoover do something like that when a newspaper published a few pictures of his without his consent.

<-- IP lawyer
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

I stand corrected.

I'm sure you run into this a lot as an IP lawyer given how easy it is to copy and paste something from the internet.

It seems unlikely that the seller on EBAY would have deep enough pockets or he/she profitted enough from 'stealing' this copyrighted but unregistered image to warrant a lawsuit.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

Nah, I'd never recommend suing for something like that. Just send a nasty but well worded letter. People either stop doing the bad stuff or send a token amount back (I'm guessing in the range of $100).

And to be clear, I'm not advertising my services. I did it for Matt for free because it's fun to use my powers for good and not just evil.
Skwrl Productions - Wingsuit Photography

Northeast Bird School - Chief Logistics Guy and Video Dork

The ambigram you posted was made by a professor at my University (John Langdon), on whom the character Robert Langdon was based. He came and did a talk for us in the residence hall I work in and mentioned how often people steal his designs.

I was kind of discouraged by his defeated attitude about it; he almost accepted it is an inevitability.
Come, my friends! 'Tis not too late to seek out a newer world!

The ambigram you posted was made by a professor at my University (John Langdon), on whom the character Robert Langdon was based. He came and did a talk for us in the residence hall I work in and mentioned how often people steal his designs.

I was kind of discouraged by his defeated attitude about it; he almost accepted it is an inevitability.

Yep, that's John. B| I've met him a few times...his work is fantastic.

In a way I agree with him. Think of all the technologies that have been created for anti-piracy, anti-dvd/cd burning, and how someone cracks it about a day later. :D:ph34r:

Just have your lawyer send a cease and desist. I send them out frequently and also get them every now and then.

General reaction is that they stop doing what they are doing. Problem solved and it's cheap.

Should they not stop, you got proof that you C&D'd them before which will help you when you sue.

Any examples of the work in question?

I saw a posting on here not to long ago. Some girl was trying to sell skydiving related Magnets i think it was. The funny thing was that the images she used where stolen from skydiving stickers that have been around for years.
Dom

.She, (I think tthe OP is a woman) has done about all that is worth the money to do...

Nope OP is a dude(he jumps at my dz):D

So that was YOU that tried the Crocodile Dundee test on me...you focker!!!! :P:ph34r::D