Nataly

Post your favourite xmas recipes :)

Well, I am re-posting my cipaille recipe to get things started.. I will try to translate the other classics my mom used to make like tourtieres and meat pies (not sweet - actual meat!).

Hope others will post their favourite xmas foods, including deserts! Yum!

Cipaille

Prepare this crust and refrigerate one day: 
3/4 cups of lard (ie crisco)
4 cups of flour
1 1/4 cups cold water + 1 egg yolk (beaten)
1/4 cup vegetable oil

The next day:
Cut following meats into pieces of about 1 inch cube (do not mix meats): pork, beef, chicken, moose. Instead of moose you can use a gamey meet like boar, deer or cariboo. Instead of chicken you can use feasant, pigeon or partrige depending on whether you like darker/ stronger meats. Equal quantities of each for a total of about 7 lbs of meat. (Note you will need a large and very deep dish.)

***Add these spices to each meat (generous quantities of each spice):
·         Nutmeg
·         Ground cloves
·         Cinamon
·         Allspice

***Or, for the less adventurous, replace by the below spices but definitely not as good:
·         Summer savoury
·         Salt and pepper
·         Mixed herbs
·         Garlic powder
·         Onion powder

In a deep and very large dish (ideally with a lid) assemble as follows:
1.      A layer of one of the meats (all of it)
2.      A layer of potatoes (cubes about the same size as the pieces of meat-the potatoe/meat ratio shoukd be roughly equal)
3.      A layer of oignons (chopped roughly)
4.      Salt and pepper
5.      A layer of crust cut into strips about 1 inch wide

Continue this layering process until all meats used and cover with a whole crust, perforating it a bit. The crust is slightly thicker than a normal pie as it doesn't rise.

Lift a corner of the crust and pour water in until it covers everything.

Cover with the lid and cook in the oven at 250 º F for 3 or 4 hours.

Lower the temperature to 200 º F for 3 more hours - remove the lid for the last hour of cooking.

**IMPORTANT: keep checking there is a lot of water and keep topping it up right to the edge otherwise it will be overcooked and very dry. Probably worth checking every hour.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Meat loaf

Take a brick of frozen hamburger
Bake.

:D

I'll be honest...I don't know how I was so blessed this year, but I was able to spend christmas alone!

I exuberantly enjoyed my prestigious meal of eggs, spam and cornbeef hash!

Thank you Jesus!
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Meat loaf

Bake.

I'll be honest...I don't know how I was so blessed this year, but I was able to spend christmas alone!

Thank you Jesus!

Jesus ate mostly pita and chickpeas. ;)

Meat loaf

Bake.

Thank you Jesus!

Jesus ate mostly pita and chickpeas. ;)

Thank God for grace!:D
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Okay, here's a serious reply.:D:D

Take one prime rib, tie it tight with butcher's string. Salt and pepper the outside. Sear the outside on a large griddle until brown. Then place in a 200 degree oven, fat up, ribs down, until the inside temp reaches 131, usually 4-5 hours. Let rest for 15 minutes while you're cooking the dinner rolls and baked potatoes. Then, with a long carving knife, start at the thin end of the ribs and slice along the bone to free the meat. Then slice to make 1" thick servings. Serve with baked potato, salad, homemade bread, wine, conversation and laughter. B|

To the poster above with the scotch recipe, I've got a recipe for "scotch neat" that's even easier to fix. PM me for the recipe. :)

Okay, here's a serious reply.:D:D

Take one prime rib, tie it tight with butcher's string. Salt and pepper the outside. Sear the outside on a large griddle until brown. Then place in a 200 degree oven, fat up, ribs down, until the inside temp reaches 131, usually 4-5 hours. Let rest for 15 minutes while you're cooking the dinner rolls and baked potatoes. Then, with a long carving knife, start at the thin end of the ribs and slice along the bone to free the meat. Then slice to make 1" thick servings. Serve with baked potato, salad, homemade bread, wine, conversation and laughter. B|

To the poster above with the scotch recipe, I've got a recipe for "scotch neat" that's even easier to fix. PM me for the recipe. :)

Sadly some bars / restaurants I’ve been to need that recipe. I often get scotch neat served to me "on the rocks". When I send it back they strain the ice and try to serve it to me “up”.

See attached for a breakfast cake recipe. Not really a holiday or Christmas recipe but it’s the only time I make it. A Pennsylvania Dutch dish, I got the recipe from my grandmother.

LOL...that's the problem. I don't know how to do pastry crust. :) What is the right consistency? I think when I'm recuperating after my next little surgery, I'm gonna hafta try to make this.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail