fallinbear

I felt it...

A 4.2 magnitude Earthquake in Indiana...I felt it in Dayton.

First time for me...

And you thought you were safe living back there on the old continental craton ... unlike those of us who like living on THE EDGE BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Just wait till the New Madrid Zone pops off again with what it is capable of.

Last time ... very few European settlements there in 1811-1812 and it had church bells ringing in BOSTON

From USGS1

This sequence of three very large earthquakes is usually referred to as the New Madrid earthquakes, after the Missouri town that was the largest settlement on the Mississippi River between St. Louis, Missouri and Natchez, Mississippi. On the basis of the large area of damage (600,000 square kilometers), the widespread area of perceptibility (5,000,000 square kilometers), and the complex physiographic changes that occurred, the New Madrid earthquakes of 1811-1812 rank as some of the largest in the United States since its settlement by Europeans. They were by far the largest east of the Rocky Mountains in the U.S. and Canada. The area of strong shaking associated with these shocks is two to three times as large as that of the 1964 Alaska earthquake and 10 times as large as that of the 1906 San Francisco earthquake

I know....;)

There is a reason the Mississippi, Ohio, and Missouri Rivers all look like they do in that area.:)

Funny how the charts that track all the small quakes in the area just happen to follow the general trace of the rivers.

Things that make ya go hmmmmmm( and live in a house that will stand up to a magnitude 9 or better)

Hey look where the Illinois river points to!
Heck I live on the Fox
Rainbo lives near the Rock

small rivers huh?:P
:oB|

Yeah... you know how those rivers reacted the last time it kicked right???

High ground... on rock... is your friend in an area with earthquakes even if there have not been any big ones in any ones memories.:)

I live in the foothills of the Cascades I kind of expect em and have had a few here that woke me up.

I cant wait for Cascadia to pop... last time it went it threw a tsunami at Japan in Jan of 1700. I LOVE living in interesting times:ph34r:

I saw a discovery special on the New Madrid Fault line not long ago...

Made me think how NOT immune we are here as someone mentioned earlier in the thread. Is it the beginning of the end?? :S

I don't want to make all the decisions because if I screw up, then I can't blame it on you...

I saw a discovery special on the New Madrid Fault line not long ago...

Made me think how NOT immune we are here as someone mentioned earlier in the thread. Is it the beginning of the end?? :S

There is the possibility it was only a tremmor, now is a good time to check your water heater, make sure it is anchored to a wall, look around your house for things that can fall and get broken, other than that, crack open a beer and forget about it, ya can't stop them!

Let's see
three rivers running backwards
creation of reelfoot lake (I'm 20 miles from
there now)
all the bends in the missisippi river near cape girardeu
not much other than that
earlier the extinction of the Cahokia Indians
who had a population larger and more advanced than London at the same time

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Peter Venkman: This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical"?
Dr Ray Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath of God type stuff.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.
Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!
Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!
Mayor: All right, all right! I get the point!

Keeping Paul Happy