skyrider

Old Photo's.. Lets see them

Pic 1: Me, on the left, standing in back of the old digger.

Pic 2: We must had just got home from the dragstrip as the numbers are still on the bike.

Pic 3: My Dad (partially blocked), Bill Miesner (my Dad's buddy since childhood. they had to join the Navy in '52 to keep from going to jail), and the Tech Inspector at the Fresno Dragway. They were racing a '71, 401 AMX Javelin at this point.

Pic 4: My Dad's hot-rod back in '51 when he was 17yo. One year before having to enlist. Yup, he was a greaser. Leather jacket, Greasy Kid Stuff and a D.A..
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Way cool, Bet you wish you still had that hotrod!

I wish he never got rid of the digger. My Dad and Bill sold the digger to get the AMX (which was odd as they always ran a Chevy.) They got the AMX new and tore the engine down the day they pulled it off of the car lot. That thing was a neck snapper that could pull wheelies on street tires. It was one of favorites at the Fresno drag strip in '71. My Dad and Bill both retired from the Navy in '72. We moved to Missouri while Bill and his wife Rose stayed in Ca..
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

How old a picture do you wanna go;)

I am not in the picture but my great geat grandfather and his family is. There are a whole bunch of great grand relatives in it.

I do have one of the scatter guns in the piccie though, it was almost brand new:)

I wish he never got rid of the digger. My Dad and Bill sold the digger to get the AMX (which was odd as they always ran a Chevy.) They got the AMX new and tore the engine down the day they pulled it off of the car lot. That thing was a neck snapper that could pull wheelies on street tires. It was one of favorites at the Fresno drag strip in '71. My Dad and Bill both retired from the Navy in '72. We moved to Missouri while Bill and his wife Rose stayed in Ca..

Really, I was in Springfield Mo. in 72, Our Carnival wintered there!

What no bear skin rug shots?;) Little did thye know you'd grow up and throw yourself out of airplanes!

There is a pic of me around here somewhere just like that!! LOL!!

And there IS this one that might have gave them an inkling of things to come! :D:D:D:D:D
'Shell

I am not in the picture but my great geat grandfather and his family is. There are a whole bunch of great grand relatives in it.

I do have one of the scatter guns in the piccie though, it was almost brand new:)

Cool picture! I don't have one that old but here are

2 of my uncles ...Tampa 1940s

My immigrant grandparents (Messina and Alessandria della Rocca, Sicily) with 2 of my aunts and my dad standing next to my grandfather ...around 1927. This was taken at Lk Thonotosassa NE of Tampa, only a few miles from Zhills.

Me, riding heavy iron ...I think 1952

My immigrant grandparents (Messina and Alessandria della Rocca, Sicily) with 2 of my aunts and my dad standing next to my grandfather ...around 1927. This was taken at Lk Thonotosassa NE of Tampa, only a few miles from Zhills.

HOLY SHIT

We have similar pictures from Lk Thonotosassa from about the same time

I have not scanned them yet But I know Grandma gave me some with some of her Hagan and Neel extended family and relatives. I think one was marked Aunt Lula

HOLY SHIT

We have similar pictures from Lk Thonotosassa from about the same time

I have not scanned them yet But I know Grandma gave me some with some of her Hagan and Neel extended family and relatives. I think one was marked Aunt Lula

:)

What no bear skin rug shots?;) Little did thye know you'd grow up and throw yourself out of airplanes!

And there IS this one that might have gave them an inkling of things to come! :D:D:D:D:D

SEAL member?:o

Way fucking kewl, I love the Indian!

.....Way fucking kewl, I love the Indian!

Yeah, I like that scooter. This one probably had a real smoove ride ....check out that plunger rear suspension. Boing, boing, boing,... :D (maybe the Indians had some sort of damper. ...I dunno.)

SEAL member?:o

No, the seal was just in the picture to scare me. There's a follow up picture somewhere around here where I'm crying!
'Shell

I liked the sprint car!
Brings back memories.

Did your family race in the Tampa/Florida/Southeast area?

A little later in time from your pic but JFTHOI, can you identify this cool cat?
http://floridaracingmemories.com/OpenWheel/02.htm
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I liked the sprint car!
Brings back memories.

Did your family race in the Tampa/Florida/Southeast area?

A little later in time from your pic but JFTHOI, can you identify this cool cat?
http://floridaracingmemories.com/OpenWheel/02.htm

Clues from the photo + Google = Jan Opperman :)
My uncle's (my aunt's husband) name was Johnny Hicks. He was quite well known in Ybor City and the Tampa racing community in the 30's to the 50's and even later. I have a few pics from the old Florida State Fairgrounds (down by the river). Even in old age he was active in racing acting as starter/flagman, etc. at Golden Gate Speedway. My earlier memories of my aunt was watching her make the flags for the speedway. One of their best friends was Gordon Solie of pro wrestling fame and Johnny and my aunt were married in his home. Johnny shot himself in 1987 at the age of 84.

Edit to add: http://floridaracingmemories.com ...what a cool website! Thanks!

I'm connected to Golden Gate in a small way. My brother married Frank Riddle's daughter.

Through that connection I am intimately familiar with many of the sprint drivers and owners of the time and had many times just sat with Johnny to shoot the shit.

The old Phillips Field was my first exposure to racing. My uncle was a close personal friend of the Reutimanns and me, being oh, I guess 10 years old, got to be a real pest in the pits....."let me sit in your car!" :D:D:D
Early on, I spent an hour one time trying to find a left-handed monkey wrench....I'll never forgive Buzzy for that.

Momma always hated it when I went with my Uncle every week because I always came home caked in grease.

You had posted a pic (Johnny 4a.jpg) of a fairgrounds start for sprints...

My two favorites at the fairgrounds were Jan Oppermann and Pistol Pete Folse. Pete always had the good-looking stuff ("Black Deuce" Bardahl Special) and Jan had the rattle-trap held together with coat hangers....great battles.

I'm connected to Golden Gate in a small way. My brother married Frank Riddle's daughter.

Through that connection I am intimately familiar with many of the sprint drivers and owners of the time and had many times just sat with Johnny to shoot the shit.

The old Phillips Field was my first exposure to racing. My uncle was a close personal friend of the Reutimanns and me, being oh, I guess 10 years old, got to be a real pest in the pits....."let me sit in your car!" :D:D:D
Early on, I spent an hour one time trying to find a left-handed monkey wrench....I'll never forgive Buzzy for that.

Momma always hated it when I went with my Uncle every week because I always came home caked in grease.

You had posted a pic (Johnny 4a.jpg) of a fairgrounds start for sprints...

My two favorites at the fairgrounds were Jan Oppermann and Pistol Pete Folse. Pete always had the good-looking stuff ("Black Deuce" Bardahl Special) and Jan had the rattle-trap held together with coat hangers....great battles.

Wow! Small world! You probably knew Johnny better than I did. Although I was close to my aunt, he was a bit infrequent in appearances at family gatherings. When we did later talk about things he was getting quite old and was becoming ill. They would always try to talk me into switching from boat racing to cars. (I do remember telling them something to the effect that the pits in car racing were dirtier and greasier than in boat racing:)this picture from the floridaracingmemories site is of Johnny (in the white hat). Not sure I recognize him without a big cigar stuck in his mouth :)

Ha I got a similar pic only they're burners :o1979 or 80 stationed in Virginia beach. We had a massive snowstorm for that area, shut down the whole city.
The other pic is from our wedding in 1982 the top pic shows what I had to do to get her to say yes;)

edited to add: Hey Andy we just made our 6th annual demo into a golf course in Z-Hills for the David Reutimann charity golf tournament. Of course he was prolly not born yet when you were hangin with the family.

You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

edited to add: Hey Andy we just made our 6th annual demo into a golf course in Z-Hills for the David Reutimann charity golf tournament. Of course he was prolly not born yet when you were hangin with the family.

It wasn't me! The kid is NOT my son! I was in NJ when he was conceived and Viet Nam when he was born!

The other pic is from our wedding in 1982 the top pic shows what I had to do to get her to say yes

One might think you're looking at her all dreamy-eyed because you're so in looove. That is probably true, but I'm also betting you were either stoned, drunk or both. :ph34r:
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon