D22369

about them teachers

my son goes to a private school that allows parents to assist with the class whenever they wish to, he is in the 2nd grade.

my observations from last friday:

teaching is like herding cats.
teachers should get sainted by the pope.
children in a group lose IQ pts.
children told to stop talking will inevitably start picking their nose/ tapping on their desk/kicking their neighbor/ or humming.
during PE someones going to start crying.
during soccer in PE at least one child will suddenly switch teams to be on his best friends team. - nobody will know this till he sends the ball through his own goal.
ten seconds after a test starts someones going to be looking at somene elses paper.
20 seconds into the test someones going to need a potty break.
when two children start arguing it will degenerate into my dad can beat up your dad.
little girls are smarter than the little boys and not half as disruptive.
farting loudly will cause the whole class to crack up and seems to give the child an honored status.

teachers do not make as much money as they should.

I had fun but I am here to tell ya, I was exausted at the end of the day. I now have a lot more respect for anyone who takes up the teaching profession - its total controlled chaos.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Your article is really appreciated. TA, d00d :)I've been in the business for 28 years, still got 17 years of it ahead. Started at secondary school (pretty much like high school) teaching physics and astronomy in 1983 and got transferred to vocational college in 2003, now doing mainly medical English, computer studies and a little maths B| And yeah, most of what you wrote reminded me of my years at secondary school, but we still have some classes with underachievers that are very challenging. But believe it or not, lotta people still can't understand a weekend skydiving (mainly tandems and video plus the occasional fun jump) is recreation time for me :) So the "assist a day at your kid's school" is quite charming. Should be made sort of a requirement at least for some parents, huhu.
I'm gonna forward your article to some colleges who read English well enough to savour it first hand B|

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

My son just received his law degree and passed his Bar Exam. He was, throughout school, considered by many teachers to be too boisterous, too independent, too free-thinking, too focused on sports, and too much trouble. It was the square peg into the round hole syndrome.

Fortunately through his entire education, he was lucky to have specific teachers at critical times who recognized he was bright and bored. And they took the time and effort to challenge him. And he rose to every challenge. And exceeded those rare expectations.

It's not about wiping their tears or their little bums. It's not about dumbing down the curriculum to ensure the bell-curve is met. It's not about "no child left behind".

It's not about making Mom and Dad happy that little Johnny feels good about themselves or are accepted.

It's about TEACHING.

And after all these years, my son, his mother, and myself honour those unique teachers who were absolutely fabulous.

And to this day we can name each of those special educators.

At 54 years of age, I can also still name the teachers who did the same for me.

I just wish there were more.

To those educators here on DZ.com who share the commitment of helping build minds, lives and leaders for the next generation; I sincerely thank you.

John