DARK

Do you think there is a need for new (open source) manifest software?

so im a packer but also have expereince with it

i was reading a thread recently about skyride purchasing jump run and people(rightly or wrongly) dont want to give that company a penny

so i was thinking that a community led open source project could pretty easily provide the same features as jump run and relatively quickly overtake it

open source has numerous advantages and a few disadvantages but contrary to popular belief there is a way to make money from open source software but leaving that aside for the minute

if it was good enough do you think the dz's would switch?

is there anyone here who would be interested in being part of such an open source project?

+1

I have been a software developer for 20 years and I always make an effort to be grammatically correct in all my correspondences. Would you trust a programmer who can't use a period? Like it or not, it is one way you are judged. Most people can't read code, but most can read a sentence.

I know Slyride is evil and is probably also responsible for the Arab-Israeli conflict, toast falling butter side down, and losing socks in dryers, but they aren't worth my time to rewrite code.

Interestingly enough, this had been edited for typos.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

thanks for the feedback lads, really appreciate your thoughts on the idea.

i never said i was a programmer though, but i guess thats ok its the only assumption you made after all :)
enjoy the winter lads

note to self; remember why you dont use this forum

+1

I have been a software developer for 20 years and I always make an effort to be grammatically correct in all my correspondences. Would you trust a programmer who can't use a period? Like it or not, it is one way you are judged. Most people can't read code, but most can read a sentence.

I know Slyride is evil and is probably also responsible for the Arab-Israeli conflict, toast falling butter side down, and losing socks in dryers, but they aren't worth my time to rewrite code.

Interestingly enough, this had been edited for typos.

I would be happy to contribute, just so long as nobody deletes the portion of the code that gives me unlimited free jumps balance. ;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Ahhh...don't take thing so personally. If the shoe fits, wear it like a man. No big deal. But I'm sure the Irish use punctuation just like the rest of the world.
:D:D:P

I don't think it's slyride that's looking to buy out JumpRun. It's Proskydiving and Doug Smith, I believe.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Ahhh...don't take thing so personally. If the shoe fits, wear it like a man. No big deal. But I'm sure the Irish use punctuation just like the rest of the world.
:D:D:P

I don't think it's slyride that's looking to buy out JumpRun. It's Proskydiving and Doug Smith, I believe.

i dont take things on the internet personally. if my punctuation had anything to do with the thread at all, then it would be fair comment but being a grammar nazi on the interwebz has long been frowned upon.

if the person marking my thesis finds grammar mistakes i hope they mark me down, they wont though, so im happy enough with that

so far there has been no feedback regarding the actual idea (other than one helpful pm about an existing os manifest project but according to their website that has been closed since 2000) which is why i said i must remember why this forum is useless for anything other then light entertainment

and i dont know the names of the companies but isnt it the company that owns sr that is buying it? thats what i got from the other thread anyway

Open source is always nice, but support is the biggest issue, since most DZs have very limited technical knowledge.

We took over a year to find a replacement for Jumprun, checking out all the option, including modifying JR itself. We eventually chose to buy DZ-manager licenses this week (www.dz-manager.com). There will be some tweaks added for us, which would make it fit like glove for our operations.

We're especially looking forward to features like the online portal for skydivers (logs, topping up accounts) and tandems/students (reservations, payments, automatic (and tracking of!) gift certificates). And also linking the debit/credit card machine directly into DZ-manager. People at the DZ will be able to top-up their account without having to go to the staf, they can just use the self-service kiosk (touch screen)... (Or still come to the manifest if they want to wait... :P )

PS
We're a 2 grand caravan operation, Dz-manager personal edition (only 1 computer) is free of charge... (hint...)

The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

is there anyone here who would be interested in being part of such an open source project?

That's not very likely.

Most people I know wouldn't find writing that sort of application interesting.

The last time I whored myself out for work which may be uninteresting in 2004 I ran $105 an hour.

Feeling good about thwarting Sky Ride isn't worth that much money.

And there isn't enough market growth potential to make it a worthwhile commercial endeavor.

If you want to protest I suggest a market alternative: get a white board (less than 1/10th the initial software license deposit for a nice steel 4x8' model plus freight) and dry erase markers, yellow legal pads, and some sort of accounting software like Quicken.

Or you might find some university students looking for practical experience (needed to get a paying job) without a paycheck.