4000m

US Trip: NY & Oshkosh, Help needed!

Hi,
we (GF & myself) are planning a holiday trip for 2011. We plan to visit the US between 22.July and August 2nd and I would require a little bit of advice if our plan makes sense or is totally unrealistic.

Masterplan:
22.7: Flight from Dublin to JFK
23.7 - 27/28.7: Sightseeing NY (+ Shopping :S[:/] )
28.7 - 31.7: Oshkosh 2011 FUCK YEAH! B|B|
31.7 - 2.8: Either visit Chicago and fly back from ORD or go back to NY and fly back from there (flights would be way cheaper if we arrive AND depart from JFK).

Now my questions:
What would be the best way to go from NY to Oshkosh and back? Car? Plane? According to Google Maps its around 980 Mls. from NY to Oshkosh, so we would lose quite some time on the road if we go by car. If by plane, is there any airline you would recommend for flights within the US? Also, for the Oshkosh veterans, is 2 full days ok to spend in Oshkost? It was a tough fight to convince her to go there :P

Thanks for any input!

Cheers from Dublin (Europe, not Ohio)
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/4000meter
Youtube Favorites: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjnVsp4Epra-PRDETgrF3M04B3X86X1eh

I would check the commuter schedules into ORD and rent a car there for the drive up to Oshkosh.

You can also go into Milwaukee but that time of year the car rentals will cost you twice as much and it's only another hour from Chicago...since you want to visit the windy city post EAA, you will already have transportation and an easy drop off.

Will two days be enough? :ph34r: Nope! ;)

I've been going every day of Air-venture for the last 28 years and STILL haven't seen it all! B|

Get hold of me when you get there, I'd love to give ya the 'quick' tour so it might be a little easier regarding what to see, when and how. :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Unless you actually want to see what the US looks like from I-80 (New Jersey and Pennsylvania are kinda pretty, Ohio and Indiana are pretty boring) I'd fly.

If you check more carefully I think you'll find that the cost of renting a car and driving it 2000 miles will be as much or more than a pair of plane tickets. Doing it driving one way and flying the other will be even more expensive.

'Twardo is right about going into Chicago. You could go into Milwaukee, or even Green Bay or Appleton (commuter connection from Chicago), but getting a rental car in any of those is going to be somewhere between difficult and impossible.

You can hit the high points of Oshkosh in 2 days. But again, 'Twardo is right about not seeing everything in years of attendance.

Do you have accomodations for Oshkosh yet? If not, good luck. The hotels are usually booked full for that week a year in advance (really). There are a few other options, but not a whole lot.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

There use to be a place on the EAA site for ride alongs. People that are flying to Oshkosh and will take someone with them. Split gas money.
Get hold of Oshkosh to camp out at the airport. Go to Walmart on the drive from Chicago to Oshkosh and pick up sleeping bags and tent. $200. Throw them away when you leave. There is food ( brats and beer) and showers at EAA. Camping there has a lot on advantages. I stayed there a whole week one year.
I also recommend going the last friday and saturday of the show. The most planes are there and the better air shows.
If you would drive from NY, you could go to Niagara Falls, the wine country of Michigan and take one of the ferries across Lake Michigan. They have a high and low speed ferry. You can get a sleeper on the slow one.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

Will probably check for a flight from JFK to ORD and take a rental car from there. We would love to see a little bit more of the US, but driving 2000 mls. would just take too much time on a 9 day trip.

Hmm, we haven't check for accomodation in Oshkosh yet. The website still lists lots of available apartments. If we are too late for a hotel or B&B, we will camp. Problem is that we cannot book yet, as the wife is still waiting for her visa appoval :|

@twardo:

Get hold of me when you get there, I'd love to give ya the 'quick' tour so it might be a little easier regarding what to see, when and how.

Thanks a lot for the offer! You're doing demos there right?

Cheers from Dublin!
Youtube Favorites: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjnVsp4Epra-PRDETgrF3M04B3X86X1eh

Will probably check for a flight from JFK to ORD and take a rental car from there. We would love to see a little bit more of the US, but driving 2000 mls. would just take too much time on a 9 day trip.

Hmm, we haven't check for accomodation in Oshkosh yet. The website still lists lots of available apartments. If we are too late for a hotel or B&B, we will camp. Problem is that we cannot book yet, as the wife is still waiting for her visa appoval :|

@twardo:

Get hold of me when you get there, I'd love to give ya the 'quick' tour so it might be a little easier regarding what to see, when and how.

Thanks a lot for the offer! You're doing demos there right?

Cheers from Dublin!

Correct.

Looking forward to meeting you guys! B|

Notice that they didn't say they were 'looking forward' to seeing you. Must know your reputation.

Well, do they know that you are going to be there too? That might make them completely give up on the idea. :P
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Hmm, we haven't check for accommodation in Oshkosh yet. The website still lists lots of available apartments. If we are too late for a hotel or B&B, we will camp. Problem is that we cannot book yet, as the wife is still waiting for her visa approval

As soon as practically possible you may want to secure accommodations, yes they are available now but tend to become more and more scarce as the time draws near.

...that being said, I know people that have come up mid-week and split house/apartment rent for a few days. There is a board on site listing what's available.

If the weather is good, camping is a great option...we have a couple guys on the demo team that prefer camping even though we have a nice house rented.
There is a lot of fun stuff happening day & night at the campgrounds that you miss if off site, I often hit the campgrounds in the evening just to meet people and have a brew or 2.

There is also a DZ 6 miles from Oshkosh that we make a few at when time allows, don't know if ya plan on dragging gear...;)

31.7 - 2.8: Either visit Chicago and fly back from ORD or go back to NY and fly back from there (flights would be way cheaper if we arrive AND depart from JFK).

Chicago's cool... but it's not that cool. Go back to NYC, there is more to do there that you wouldn't have been able to do the first 4 days.

I highly recommend walking across the Brooklyn bridge and getting ice cream at the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory. Go down to Coney Island, see the boardwalk, get some food and ride the Cylone. Go to Time Square 1 night. Your GF can go shopping in SoHo and it won't be to bad for you, SoHo is actually pretty cool. Don't spend more than an hour in China town it will drive you crazy. Have dinner at Vincent's in Little Italy . Go to MoMA. Go up into the Empire State building during the day, and night if time. Just walk the city.... it's the coolest city in the world. ;)
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Notice that they didn't say they were 'looking forward' to seeing you. Must know your reputation.

Haha, of course we are looking forward to meeting you guys! Especially as I know your reputation B|

There is also a DZ 6 miles from Oshkosh that we make a few at when time allows, don't know if ya plan on dragging gear...

Ohaaaaa, didn't even think about dragging the gear with me. But now as you mention it...
I have a medical assessment in April this year, which will decide if and how my camping career continues (for details, see here: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3845706;search_string=aneurysm;#3845706 ) If I get a GO from the doctors I will probably bring the gear with me. Jumping at Oshkosh during Airventure is not something you do every day!

Cool, thanks for the tips! MoMA, Statue of Liberty, SoHo shopping, Coney Island, the Park and Times Square are on our list. Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory sounds very good! I've been to NY about 15 years ago during XMAS time and it was reaaaly cold. I've been up on the Empire State back then, but it was so foggy that you barely could see the adjacent buildings. I am also probably the only guy in the world who has been to NY and didn't see the Statue of Liberty :S:S[:/]

Well, do they know that you are going to be there too? That might make them completely give up on the idea. :P

But I'm not a prima donna show performer-I actually WORK there so I've learned to to commit to any activities because I'm probably not going to have free time[:/]
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

going to spend the day at statue of liberty is a waste of a lot of time in my opinion. you will wind up wasting twice as much time getting to and from liberty isand as you will on it. ride the staten island ferry and you will get a great view of downtown manhattan and the statue of liberty, and its free!! empire state is great , just did some work there, but again the line to the observation deck can be brutal at times. feel free to p.m. me if you have any questions or if your looking for ideas.
Wait , I pull what first?

But I'm not a prima donna show performer-I actually WORK there so I've learned to to commit to any activities because I'm probably not going to have free time[:/]

SEE how ya are! :P

Go up into the Empire State building during the day, and night if time.

We timed it for sundown, perfect time to be on top. B| We plan to do that with the Eiffel Tower next time too.

Yeah!!! That's the way to do it. Same goes with the Brooklyn bridge. I recommend walking to the middle while there's still some day light, then going to the Brooklyn Ice Cream factory as the sun sets. It's a famous film spot under the bridge and pretty romantic if your with your girl. Then walk back across the bridge after it's dark and enjoy the view of the city, SoL, and down at all the other bridges on the East River.

Cool, thanks for the tips! MoMA, Statue of Liberty, SoHo shopping, Coney Island, the Park and Times Square are on our list. Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory sounds very good! I've been to NY about 15 years ago during XMAS time and it was reaaaly cold. I've been up on the Empire State back then, but it was so foggy that you barely could see the adjacent buildings. I am also probably the only guy in the world who has been to NY and didn't see the Statue of Liberty :S:S[:/]

No prob man... you guys will have a blast.

going to spend the day at statue of liberty is a waste of a lot of time in my opinion.

I actually agree... Ellis Island while not that impressive to see can be an emotional experience if you've had family members pass through there when 'coming to America'. SoL really isn't that more impressive from 5' than it is from Manhattan. The Staten Island ferry is also one of the only ways to see the Verrazano bridge as well.

empire state is great , just did some work there, but again the line to the observation deck can be brutal at times.

Agree... you almost have to just get lucky with the line. I wouldn't spend 3+ hours waiting in line... or maybe I would hmmm...

are you from nyc originally ride? you profile says colorado but you know ny pretty wel?

Not from there but I lived there for a while and have been back in CO for 3 years now... but still go back to NYC at least twice a year to see friends. I miss it a lot and still consider it home to some degree. Next trip planned for May! :)