virgin-burner

ATTENTION: movie nerds..

Sometimes I wonder if people that bag on Tarantino have ever actually watched one of his films.

VB, answer me this, have you ever actually watched Pulp Fiction from beginning to end?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Sometimes I wonder if people that bag on Tarantino have ever actually watched one of his films.

I have, and I sometimes do. I respect his talent as a director and I like his taste in music, but I find some of the violence a little too gratuitous in his movies. I have a hard time laughing when a young man gets accidentally shot in the face, but many in the audience did not.:|

I have, and I sometimes do. I respect his talent as a director and I like his taste in music, but I find some of the violence a little too gratuitous in his movies. I have a hard time laughing when a young man gets accidentally shot in the face, but many in the audience did not.:|

While clearly Tarantino plays with the audience and it is a bit of a shock to some, it's actually telegraphed pretty well when you consider Travolta's character has his finger on the trigger when he rests it on the back of his seat. This clearly isn't intended as a comedic moment but rather as a simple "negligent discharge." Clearly the character never had even the most basic gun safety class.

In any case, hopefully you noticed that the same character pays for his sins later and the entire point of the film was Samuel Jackson's character trying to redeem himself based on what he thought had saved him from being killed; divine intervention by God.

See, that's actually the beauty of a Tarantino film; they AREN'T simply excuses for bloody fight scenes. They actually do have a point, which is more than about 95% of all films on the market do.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

VB, answer me this, have you ever actually watched Pulp Fiction from beginning to end?

actually, it's one of the few movies i think that i have seen in the theatre. pulp fiction is awesome.

and nope, to imitate yoda, going to i was not. :P
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

The movies I like are typically things that most people find horrifying. Though I only seem to get hate when I say I found the scenes sexy.

I hate useless gore movies, but I love effective violence when it is used in a way to increase the psychological 'horror' aspects. And instead of merely shocking, it eats at your mind.

A few movies I've seen recently that I enjoyed though that many seem to find 'disturbing'.

Begotten, Antichrist, A Serbian Film, Irreversible.

Most people seem to have a hard time with necrophilia, rape, decapitation, incest, genital mutilation and mother nature masturbating Gods dead body.

irreversible probably has the sexiest anal rape scene ever! and monica belucci is just HOT!

you should check out miike takashi's work if you havent already, "audition" is remarkable!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

While clearly Tarantino plays with the audience and it is a bit of a shock to some, it's actually telegraphed pretty well when you consider Travolta's character has his finger on the trigger when he rests it on the back of his seat. This clearly isn't intended as a comedic moment but rather as a simple "negligent discharge." Clearly the character never had even the most basic gun safety class.

In any case, hopefully you noticed that the same character pays for his sins later and the entire point of the film was Samuel Jackson's character trying to redeem himself based on what he thought had saved him from being killed; divine intervention by God.

See, that's actually the beauty of a Tarantino film; they AREN'T simply excuses for bloody fight scenes. They actually do have a point, which is more than about 95% of all films on the market do.

Don't forget the redemption of Butch, when he chose to rescue Marcellus Wallace. He could have easily left him to a horrible death at the hands of Maynard and Zed, but chose not to. And earned Marcellus' forgiveness (conditional, but still forgiveness).

And I love how Pulp Fiction was classed as "ultra-violent". Very little of it was shown. Vincent Vega being shot by Butch, Marcellus Wallace bent over the sawhorse being pounded, Maynard getting slashed and then impaled, and "Flock of Seagulls" getting shot (although they didn't show any impact or blood).
Everything else was implied. Somewhat similar to Hitchcock, where it was perfectly clear what happened, you just didn't see it. Which left the details up to your imagination.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

The movies I like are typically things that most people find horrifying. Though I only seem to get hate when I say I found the scenes sexy.

I hate useless gore movies, but I love effective violence when it is used in a way to increase the psychological 'horror' aspects. And instead of merely shocking, it eats at your mind.

A few movies I've seen recently that I enjoyed though that many seem to find 'disturbing'.

Begotten, Antichrist, A Serbian Film, Irreversible.

Most people seem to have a hard time with necrophilia, rape, decapitation, incest, genital mutilation and mother nature masturbating Gods dead body.

YES! I saw Antichrist last week and it ate away at my mind for like three days. Seriously powerful, but it requires appreciation for Lars' intent- not to disgusts the audience ala Hostel, but to drive home the impact of the situation. Perhaps the creepiest part of the film, for me, is knowing that this whole situation could recreate itself in real life (minus the Beggars, obviously) given an adequately crazy person.

This is what I love about films like The Exorcist- it's so real, offensive, and unprecedented that it leaves some emotional impact on the audience. To me, this is the absolute definition of art.

Of course, it doesn't take a scary film to do this. Other films that have left me emotionally or intellectually introspective include Solaris, The Fountain, and others.

Then there are those films that stand out due to technical merits or sheer talent- Blade Runner for its lighting innovations, THX 1138 for its sound design, Quarantine for its acting (whoops, did I start a debate?), etc.

Sorry... got me on a hot topic. :D
Come, my friends! 'Tis not too late to seek out a newer world!