buzzer

Acampo Otter

Don't know if this has been posted but though members should know. This was in the news.

LOS ANGELES – The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is proposing a $664,000 civil penalty against William C. Dause, doing business as The Parachute Center of Acampo, Calif., for allegedly failing to perform required aircraft parts replacements and failing to comply with safety directives.

“Putting parachutists at risk by neglecting to follow safety procedures is unacceptable,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary LaHood. “We expect aircraft operators to comply with our safety rules and will take enforcement action when they do not.”

The FAA alleges that The Parachute Center operated a DeHavilland DHC-6 Twin Otter when critical parts were well past their life limits and without inspecting portions of the wings for corrosion.

In all, the FAA alleges that The Parachute Center operated the aircraft on approximately 2,121 flights between March 21, 2008 and Nov. 4, 2009 with elevator control cables that were overdue for replacement and when the plane was not in compliance with Airworthiness Directives requiring visual inspections of the wing main spar, lower spar cap extensions and wing support strut for possible corrosion.

The FAA also alleges that the company operated the aircraft on at least 500 flights between April 16, 2009 and Nov. 4, 2009 with aileron control cables that were overdue for replacement.

“Passengers and crew have to be able to trust that an operator has done the right thing and has complied with all the rules,” said FAA Administrator Randy Babbitt. “Safety and compliance are the right choices, every time.”

The Parachute Center has 30 days from receipt of the FAA’s enforcement letter to respond to the agency.

Just saw that. Fortunately, the weather at Lodi is bone-dry much of the year, so there is less opportunity for corrosion.

Bill knows the drill. He'll do the repairs and get the fine mitigated down to something less insane.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Just saw that. Fortunately, the weather at Lodi is bone-dry much of the year, so there is less opportunity for corrosion.

Bill knows the drill. He'll do the repairs and get the fine mitigated down to something less insane.

mh

All because there is less moisture in the air does NOT make it right to neglect FAR's and safety suggestions. IMO, there is zero argument or excuse when debating deliberate neglect of FAA rules/regs.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Given his other aircraft crash, I'd say he doesn't yet get it.
Hopefully the "reminder" from the FAA will help in that endeavor.

Which ONE? Or should we just pick a random one from his list of incidents?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

"

... Fortunately, the weather at Lodi is bone-dry much of the year, so there is less opportunity for corrosion.

mh

"

Since all Twin Otter jump planes are more than 20 years old, all it takes is a hint of salt and morning dew to encourage corrosion.
That hint of salt may have accumulated during a single flight near salt water.

The other factor is that there are several different definitions of "corrosion." For example, the Royal Canadian Air Force refers to metal fatigue as "stress corrosion." If you load/flex any piece of metal enough times, it will suffer intergranular cracks, which eventually cause wings to fall off. That is why deHavilland wrote "life limits" for major structural components like wing spars.
Ignoring manufacturers' "life limits" is just as wrong as two boys kissing!

The other factor is that there are several different definitions of "corrosion."

Don't forget the other factors.

1) Pollution in the air.
2) Exhaust soot is very corrosive.
3) Anything that will help conduct electrical current
4) Even just turning on the aircraft's electrical system will promote corrosion if the aircraft is not properly grounded or bonded.

"

... Fortunately, the weather at Lodi is bone-dry much of the year, so there is less opportunity for corrosion.

mh

"

Since all Twin Otter jump planes are more than 20 years old, all it takes is a hint of salt and morning dew to encourage corrosion.
That hint of salt may have accumulated during a single flight near salt water.

The other factor is that there are several different definitions of "corrosion." For example, the Royal Canadian Air Force refers to metal fatigue as "stress corrosion." If you load/flex any piece of metal enough times, it will suffer intergranular cracks, which eventually cause wings to fall off. That is why deHavilland wrote "life limits" for major structural components like wing spars.
Ignoring manufacturers' "life limits" is just as wrong as two boys kissing!

so you're saying there's nothing wrong with it?

Does your homophobia come naturally, or do you have to work hard to keep yourself in the closet?

Given his other aircraft crash, I'd say he doesn't yet get it.
Hopefully the "reminder" from the FAA will help in that endeavor.

The fact that these maintenance items went this far means "He does get it". He just ignores the regs and demonstrates an attitude that means he just doesn't give a shit.

You think a fine will change his way of thinking? I doubt it. Probably a good time for him to find another occupation.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

That "politically incorrect" quote was from a US Army Golden Knight, who was expected to be politically neutral in all his dealings with the public.

I was trying to poke fun at homophobic American rednecks.
What gays do - on their days off - is no business of mine.
Heck! I routinely drive through some of the "gayer" neighborhoods of Vancouver ... and I just don't care.

Next week, I will poke fun at the KKK.
The following week I will poke fun at British cooking.
Then I will poke fun at United Empire Loyalists.
Then I will poke fun at Irish drunks.
Then I will poke fun at stupid Newfies.

If that does not offend you, just wait long enough and I will eventually get around to poking fun at your favorite minority/ethnic group/religion/political party/sacred cow/stuffed shirt, etc.

In conclusion, I poke fun at everybody!
Hah!
Hah!

That "politically incorrect" quote was from a US Army Golden Knight, who was expected to be politically neutral in all his dealings with the public.

I was trying to poke fun at homophobic American rednecks.
What gays do - on their days off - is no business of mine.
Heck! I routinely drive through some of the "gayer" neighborhoods of Vancouver ... and I just don't care.

Next week, I will poke fun at the KKK.
The following week I will poke fun at British cooking.
Then I will poke fun at United Empire Loyalists.
Then I will poke fun at Irish drunks.
Then I will poke fun at stupid Newfies.

If that does not offend you, just wait long enough and I will eventually get around to poking fun at your favorite minority/ethnic group/religion/political party/sacred cow/stuffed shirt, etc.

In conclusion, I poke fun at everybody!
Hah!
Hah!

poking fun is a good thing. I didn't read that in your post. my bad.

I even attempted humor in my reply. Sometimes humor is lost in written communication.

Excellent perspective...
Hopefully the FAA's "encouragement" will ensure he finds another profession.

While a lot of DZ's understand having to have $100,000 on hand for a major hot section replacement/rebuild.....how often do you need to replace seven of them????
:D:D:D