SKYDIVE

OVERLOADING RESERVES

Likewise, I 've been pricing new Vector containers and have run into an issue with my reserve size dictating a rig size too big for my main. One possible solution I've heard: buy the rig to fit your reserve and then have padding sewn into the back of your main compartment in the rig. This decreases the excess space for the bag and you don't have to downsize to a smaller reserve. The drawback? 50 or 60 bucks (I'm told) to have a rigger modify your new rig. If any one's had this done, let me know because I'm considering it.

It is up to the manufacture. As long as they test to the minimum required weight and speed.
Minimum test speed is 180 knots for a maximum operating speed of 220 knots.
Minimum test weight is 264 pounds for a maximum operating weight of 220 pounds.
The manufacture can choose to go higher but can’t go lower.
Sparky

That is the point that many people don't understand about those numbers. The "Max. Weight" specified for certain size reserves is only what the mfg. thinks is a good wingloading for landing, not what the canopy can survive at opening. Usually, all sizes of a certain design are tested to the same maximum load.

The malfunction rate and controllability at various wingloadings is certainly important, but is another issue.

Kevin K.

The manufacturers will accomodate the main and reserve to specifications. IF you need a 249-M and jump a 135, they'll do it.

Not all the manufactures. Off the top of my head, Sunpath,Altico, RI, Relative workshop, and Aerodyne won't make a custom sized container. Mirage only has 2 sizes with a large reserve, small main, but I have heard that they can sometimes be talked into an odd size.

It is the test weight that dictates what the "Max Weight" is. The manufacture can say what the test weight is as long as it is not less than 264 lb. At 264 lb. test you will have a "Max Weight" of 220.

AS8015-B

4.3.4 (Continued):
a. Test weight = Maximum operating weight limit x 1.2
b. Test speed = Maximim operating speed limit x 1.2
However, test weight must be not less than 264 lb (119.7 kg) and the test speed must be not less than
180 KEAS (333.4 km/h) for reserve and emergency parachute assemblies; for dual harness parachute
assemblies for test weight must not be less than 480 lb (217.7 kg) and the test speed must not be less
than 210 KEAS (388.9 km/h).

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Not all the manufactures. Off the top of my head, Sunpath,Altico, RI, Relative workshop, and Aerodyne won't make a custom sized container. Mirage only has 2 sizes with a large reserve, small main, but I have heard that they can sometimes be talked into an odd size.

Strong Ent. ~Quazar ll

If ya wanna put a billy goat in the top
and a mule in the bottom...

They'll make it for ya!
B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

>What's out there now..in zpo that will fill my needs. . .

Well, Precision has some ZP topskin reserves, but they are emphatic that the ZP reserves do NOT perform any better than F111 reserves when new. They just last longer (i.e. more repack cycles) before their porosity becomes too high.

Two other options are the Goliath (320 sq ft) and the Strong Ensign (425 sq ft.) At least I think it's called the Ensign. It's their older design tandem reserve. I've deployed them a few times and they seem like decent reserves. Both are 9 cell I believe so there's a (very small) additional risk of lineover from the higher aspect ratio canopy.

...All my reserves match the mains exactly in color pattern

IMHO, that's nuts.

I not only want the whole world (okay, DZ) to know I'm under my reserve, I also want to be able in the unlikely event of a premature opening to tell immediately upon looking up which canopy I'm under.

>What's out there now..in zpo that will fill my needs. . .

Well, Precision has some ZP topskin reserves, but they are emphatic that the ZP reserves do NOT perform any better than F111 reserves when new. They just last longer (i.e. more repack cycles) before their porosity becomes too high.

Two other options are the Goliath (320 sq ft) and the Strong Ensign (425 sq ft.) At least I think it's called the Ensign. It's their older design tandem reserve. I've deployed them a few times and they seem like decent reserves. Both are 9 cell I believe so there's a (very small) additional risk of lineover from the higher aspect ratio canopy.

I've been talking W/ Strong...

And their Stellar Reserves are a hybred of
some kind (Project Blue?) and look like
that just may be exactly what I'm looking for.

The Stellar 240 is actually closer to 260sqft
and looks to be as close to a 1:1 reserve loading
as I'm going to get and still have a managable
/ practical pack volume size.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

>The manufacturers will accomodate the main and reserve to specifications.

Many will not build to spec. Aerodyne, for example, has a line of containers with standard sizes (I-1 to I-7) and they all have similar size mains and reserves. Most manufacturers have standard patterns for their containers and cannot easily build an arbitrary size.

Often, when such companies claim they can fit any size combination, they just go to the larger size. I have a Nitro 108 and a PD143 reserve, for example. Aerodyne would fit them both in the I-4, because the reserve fits in that, even though the I-2 would be a better choice for the main.

There is an ugly Russian reserve, 9-cell and all-ZP. Killed more than one person...now banned on most DZs.

What are you talking about? Never heard of that.... Name of the reserve?

Impulse Reserve 12. The one you don't need a rigger to pack and can use as a main ;)

Impulse Reserve 12. The one you don't need a rigger to pack and can use as a main

That's not true.
http://www.zavod3.ru/catalogue.html?level=position§ion=1&subsection=11&position=2
Impulse Reserve-12 is made of Exacta-Chute nylon (kind of F-111 material).
But yes, it is 9-cell. And no, you still need a rigger to repack this thing.

Impulse Reserve 12. The one you don't need a rigger to pack and can use as a main

That's not true.
http://www.zavod3.ru/catalogue.html?level=position§ion=1&subsection=11&position=2
Impulse Reserve-12 is made of Exacta-Chute nylon (kind of F-111 material).
But yes, it is 9-cell. And no, you still need a rigger to repack this thing.

You're right about it being F-111.

As long as we are nitpicking, the manual says you CAN pack this thing not being a rigger. Not that it's advisable, but you can. (Not that it's advisable to use this reserve at all).

My concern is that during a demo...at times
I'm 320+ out the door with extra gear.

What's out there now..

It's not zp, but PA's R-Max 288 is rated at 317 lbs and has been tested well beyond that. The amount of structural reenforcement on it is insane, and my personal expereince is that it flies much better than the older Ravens.

I'm 315 out the door and if I try really hard, I can slow down to about 155 mph in a belly to earth freefall. So in other words, I am demanding rock solid performance out of my gear. My R-Max has never given me reason to have second thoughts.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

I got to fly my r-Max on a very hot muggy day last year at the World Cup Speed meet at Jumptown. I load mine at 1.5 to 1 and it opened sweet and flew me to a great standup landing on the nice soft wood chip pile landing area at Jumptown. Yes according to the specs I do overload it a bit. When Chris Martin heard about my reserve ride on my other Raven after blowing a bunch of lines on my main..he talked me into getting the r-Max for the new rig I had built. I am glad he did.