Andy0689

REI Dividend Time!

I dont know that mine will be too awfully much $$, I did buy a ton of shit there this year but most was stuff on sale so I dont think it qualifies for the dividend. Any amount will be nice, but they will yeah most likely get it right back from me:$;)

------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Seeing how I saved a LOT more money by buying the same gear from much less inexpensive stores, then the minuscule dividends aren't coming to me.

Im pretty satisfied with what I paid for a few kinda large (for me) purchases being as they were on sale at the time, internal frame (kelty) backpack and a decent day pack (also a kelty), light weight tent, water system, some clothes, and some misc. crap. Im new in the backpacking deal and like I said, so far Im satisfied with REI's prices with the sales. Now I just need a little LESS snow in the Southern Sierra's:|:P
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

They're not too bad if you catch them on sale...for what I was buying this last year, for a "tourist" hiking trip to Glacier, it was prohibitively expensive.

Day pack and clothing.

Over the past decade, lots of other stuff was purchased from REI, but over the last decade shopping on the internet has really matured as well...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

i got a good one coming to me, when i shop for stuff i take in the awesome customer service and the 10% off. i probably got a pretty good dividend coming in, i also didnt buy anything full price lol, good thing they have sales :).
IHYD

I've found that customer service depends on the location. Some are not really as out-doorsy as you'd think working in an REI.

The no-questions asked return policy really makes up for any shortcomings in prices. Especially high-cost items. I've returned a pair of $200 hiking boots after using them for several months and got full credit back. Kind of takes the gamble out of the big ticket stuff not working out for you.

+1 on the climbing gear. Have two Rainier Trips on the books this summer and I need some stuff for that. Also thinking about a Vholdr HD for sports and eventually jumping. I have an awesome dividend coming courtesy of my REI visa that bears the burden of just about all of our household expenses but still manages to get paid off every month.
Andy
I'll believe it when I see it on YouTube!

Over the past decade, lots of other stuff was purchased from REI, but over the last decade shopping on the internet has really matured as well...

What other sites does everyone like?www.steepandcheap.com & www.mountaingear.com are two that I like a lot next to REI. SAC has some really good deals when you're fast enough to catch them.
Andy

The no-questions asked return policy really makes up for any shortcomings in prices. Especially high-cost items. I've returned a pair of $200 hiking boots after using them for several months and got full credit back. Kind of takes the gamble out of the big ticket stuff not working out for you.

I've done the samething on hiking boots and I'm considering returning my Osprey Exos pack I bought for last summer's major trip. It worked, it was lightweight, but the narrow waist strap really gave me fits and I'm pretty sure that with the weight I put on this winter it ain't going to fit any longer. I'll get it out in a few weeks to see.

I should have a decent chunk coming. I bought a nice pair of boots there, along with some other less expensive things. They are close to me, and good for last minute items before a trip, or items you gotta try on first before buying. Most of the people at the one close to me are nice enough, and several really do love the outdoors and can be a great help when planning out backpacking trips and the like.
While talking about backpacking, where is a good place to pick up a 0 degree backpacking men's sleeping bag? Planning on doing some cold weather stuff in the near future. Never though good sleeping bags would be that much money!

Never though good sleeping bags would be that much money!

HA! I wish they were cheap too. I need a -20 bag for a trip in 2012 and am not looking forward to spending that much money on a sleeping bag either.

REI does have some expedition bags but I've never seen them on sale. Might be a good thing to buy with one of the 20% member coupons they give out during the year. Another good source for quality bags is Feathered Friends which is Seattle based.

Make sure you get a good mat too if you're really going to be in that cold of weather. A good bag is useless without a good mat. I just acquired an EXPED down mat. Takes a few minutes to inflate it but it seems like a good mat.
Andy

Never though good sleeping bags would be that much money!

HA! I wish they were cheap too. I need a -20 bag for a trip in 2012 and am not looking forward to spending that much money on a sleeping bag either.

REI does have some expedition bags but I've never seen them on sale. Might be a good thing to buy with one of the 20% member coupons they give out during the year. Another good source for quality bags is Feathered Friends which is Seattle based.

Make sure you get a good mat too if you're really going to be in that cold of weather. A good bag is useless without a good mat. I just acquired an EXPED down mat. Takes a few minutes to inflate it but it seems like a good mat.

While you shop around, also check out www.MEC.ca
Remster

Between the snobbery, rudeness, uninformed staff, and prices, I will spend my money at places like http://www.backcountry.com/ before I'll got to REI.

In L.A. a few months ago I suggested to an REI salesperson they should be working at Gucci, where the sales staff gets points for being condescending assholes...:S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Where do you guys find these bad REI employees???
The ones I've met in CO are great!
(And there is a really cute redhead at the Westminster store.:)

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I've never seen a redhead that WASN'T really cute! :$

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

he said he was in LA, there is your answer, the Denver store folks are great
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.