skylee_pinoy

Main used for reserve?

My advice is that this is a really bad idea. I have experience with this, and so does anyone else who jumped in the last half of the 1970's. That was a main parachute. It is "fun" when the pilot chute comes over the nose or tail and wraps around the suspension lines.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

And I can't think of ANY way this would be legal. Main's cannot be reserves (one exception but one main jump only) and I don't know any rig that didn't use a free bag for the square reserve, except perhaps the old hobbit line of reserves that might have used a diaper at one time. But the details are lost in the depths of antiquity.

BAD, BAD, BAD!!!!>:(
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Main's cannot be reserves

Yes they can. The Ravens and Falcons for instance are approved parachutes with bridle attachment point. You can use them as main or reserve.

Is this canopy of approved type? How many jumps on it?

And guys please knock it off about the bias against "vintage" gear without knowing more about it. Old does not mean unsafe or not airworthy.
Memento Audere Semper

I said one exception and I ment Ravens. I always forget Falcons because nobody in my area would do a falcon reserve. We didn't like the canopy that much. And, only one familization jump was allowed before using it as a reserve. Any more and it could NOT be put back in a reserve container.

And if anyone "old" guys are more amenable to old gear. But, WE jumped it and know how much better the newer stuff is! When it comes to someone's last chance to live, I don't compromise. There HAVE been advances in safety over the years.

And I still don't know of any ramair reserve that used an attached bag. Attached PC with diaper maybe.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

>Main's cannot be reserves . . . .

True, but any reserve can be used as a reserve, regardless of how many jumps it has on it. The rigger packing it has to certify it as airworthy, of course. There's an interesting post on rec.skydiving from George Galloway on the legality of using a reserve that has lots of main jumps on it.

And guys please knock it off about the bias against "vintage" gear without knowing more about it. Old does not mean unsafe or not airworthy.

I think Terry Urban with D-8631 and 26 years in the sport may know a little about "vintage" gear(sorry terry!) Anyway, Freebags and limitations on certified parachutes are there for a reason and rules must be followed here in the US. However, this person apears to be from the Philippines so I can't comment on the legality of his question, I'm not familiar with the Philippino Aviation Laws. From a riggers standpoint I think it would be foolish to jump a reserve that was used for a main(if it was) without a freebag. I know of one person from the old club that might be alive if he had a freebag back in 1985.

it's a 143 sqft main made of F-111. it's has only 3 jumps as main last year. i appriciate all your concerns.
our club also has an old rig with 5cell reserve used as main. it has been jump in late 90's and just last year, it has been jumped by FIRST TIME JUMPERS. it was fine. the openning was good, landing was smooth considering it was their first jump. the set up was S/L, of course the pilot chute is of spring type, but it never occured to have any line overs. the briddle was shortened a few inches.
if i were to decide, i wouldn't allow it to be used for student or in freefall. but we can't do nothing, we have old parachutes (condemned) but we love to fly it anyways.
yes, im from Philippines. Filipino Skydivers with USPA liscense do follow rules and regulation from USPA. But there are very very few of them here. those who JUST skydive, that includes me, don't care if i borrowed rig with round reserve or no AAD or no altimeter or no helmet. as long as the parachute is still flyable, we will jump it.
My first jump: condemned 9cell main F111 material, round reserve, no helmet, no altimeter. it was a S/L jump but i did dive exit on a 206. does this happen there in USA?

like they say: filipino skydivers are very risk takers.

one more question: do you anyone who made their first video coverage mounted on helmet on their 15th jump??? if there's one, im happy that im not the only one who did it. My point is: jumping here in our place is not a problem....yes, it's crazy... well, we only forbid NAKED SKYDIVING. LOL

guys, i still need MORE of your comments and suggestions.

Thanks! Safe Landings!

There is this little thing called a TSO. In the U.S it has to be certified with a TSO in order to be used as a reserve.
Why would you want to take a chance with your life. And use some thing not intended for that use. The design and line specs are very much different between the two. I work for a company that makes linesets and relines both mains and reserves.So I say don't do it, Sounds like a bad idea to me.

I have a question for you...... Have you ever had to fire your reserve to live. If not wait until you do. Then think about packing a main in its place.
OUZTS63
senior rigger D22127
If you are going to be dumb. You better be tough!

>The design and line specs are very much different between the two.

Keep in mind that some canopies (the Raven, the Swift, the Strong 425) are intended for use as both mains and reserves. There's nothing wrong with using the same canopy for both purposes. I made a lot of jumps on a Raven when I started out.

But there are very very few of them here. those who JUST skydive, that includes me, don't care if i borrowed rig with round reserve or no AAD or no altimeter or no helmet. as long as the parachute is still flyable, we will jump it. Thanks! Safe Landings!

OK... it's the No Altimeter that attracted my attention.... that's a scary thought. :S Are you part Eagle or something?? :|

Don't forget the MT-1XX and MC-4 military freefall rigs use the same canopy for both main and reserve. The d-bags are different, of course.

You are right, but if a MT-1X or a MT-1S for that matter has been used as a main it will not be used as reserve.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Undernormal conditions, a TSO-authorization is the process. However, there is always the possibility of a Field Approval. There was a guy many moons ago at Issaquah who had a home-built H & C who got it field approved.
At least one main has gone through this process for FAA-legal reserve use.
I've a number of riggers who have put used mains into their reserve containers with free bags and all other necessary components; just not a TSO-authorized canopy.
I like to call it the Fuzz Factor; almost all federal regulations have somethink like this in them. My 30+ yrs as a federal employee bring me to this conclusion.