javip82

How do they wash them?

My friend is about to send his container for a wash, and I was just wondering if anyone knows how they wash this containers? Like the old days by hand, your typical washing machine, or sophisticated machinery that we do not know about?

I've heard also, of the power wash thing. My problem with that is ... I don't know what is in the soap they use! If you have a soap in a power washer that will remove road tar and everything but the paint, I don't know what it might or will do to the harness-container. That's why I spot clean, then wash them by hand in mild soap and luke-warm or cooler temp. water.

Chuck

I do not wash my rigs. Its not good for the material and its getting dirty more quickly after it. There is a kind of impregnation on the material, which is removed by washing.
If its really necessary I wash only certain parts (leg straps), but usually time, air in freefall and sun are doing there job and the dirt will vanish on its one.

[replythat way.... well atleasti have yet to hear about it being done by someone in the washing machine that knew what they were doing...

I know of master riggers who wash them in the machine.

But maybe they don't know what they're doing...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Different manufactures have recommended different things. Sunpath, for example, recommended that rigs be put into a mesh bag and washed in a machine with cold water. RWS says to do the bathtub and woolite.

I'd disagree that washing is bad for a harness/container. In fact, I'd argue that getting dirt and sand particles out of cordura and webbing could actually help extend the life of a rig (think of what sand paper does).

I'm pretty sure that nothing is done to impregnate material as rigs are made. Unless you are washing off post production scotchguard, I can't see how a rig would get dirty more easily after a wash.

Ben
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

I've heard also, of the power wash thing. My problem with that is ... I don't know what is in the soap they use! If you have a soap in a power washer that will remove road tar and everything but the paint, I don't know what it might or will do to the harness-container. That's why I spot clean, then wash them by hand in mild soap and luke-warm or cooler temp. water.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Another disadvantage with pressure-washing is that it might blow the urethane coating off the inside of Cordura or para pack.
Urethane not only water-proofs Cordura, it also stabilizes the weave, extending its life.

Chuck

I do not wash my rigs. Its not good for the material and its getting dirty more quickly after it. There is a kind of impregnation on the material, which is removed by washing.
If its really necessary I wash only certain parts (leg straps), but usually time, air in freefall and sun are doing there job and the dirt will vanish on its one.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Where you jump makes a huge difference in how often you need to wash your rig.
The California desert can make a rig filthy after only 300 jumps. All that grit and salt grind away at the inside of fabrics, vastly reducing their life.
On the other hand, a thousand jumps in dairy country will only cause a few minor grass stains.

ok so now that I know what methods they use to wash the rig, what do you think would be much better for the rig. Wash it at home with some toothbrush and a lot of soap? or let them do the work? what will be better for the rig?

what do you think would be much better for the rig.

i have no idea really... not a rigger.....

keeping it in an airtight climate controled enviroment so it never gets dirty would be best...... but i have no idea.... froma work stand point it all comes down to this.... what is worth more to you, paying the rigger to do it or the time it will take you to do it...... if it was me i'd problyhave the rigger do it as it's easier...lol....