Zep

West epoxy

Anyone here used it, is it really the best thin epoxy glue.
above all is it worth the 30€ the shop wants to charge.

My forearm split in half right along the two screw holes
which hold the iron.

Gone fishing

Anyone here used it, is it really the best thin epoxy glue.
above all is it worth the 30€ the shop wants to charge.

My forearm split in half right along the two screw holes
which hold the iron.

I have used the West System epoxy before. Pretty foolproof as long as the temp is right. If you are dealing with hot weather.... it will set up a tad too fast for my tastes. As expensive as it is.... once it starts to turn....and you can tell because it smells and starts smoking.... all you can do is swear at it.... a lot.

I have had better luck with Gluvit for several aplications. Its lighter still and its a bit more flexible. Because its lighter it flows better into the grain and is better at flowing and sealing any small cracks and leaks.

Thanks, I looked up Gluvit, pricey stuff. Still cheaper than having a new forearm made.

Yeah.. I can't believe how spendy that stuff has gotten. I can remember buying it for $25 a gallon and thinking it was expensive.

Locally here.. West Marine wants $169 for the 8 pound/Gallon sized kit but Englund Marine Supply in Astoria OR has it for $102.

The 2 pound kits are priced accordingly.

What I appreciate is the long pot life with the Gluvit. There is nothing more frustrating having a nice big block of a whole gallon of cured West sitting there as a reminder of what not to do. The more you use... the more at one time, the more heat builds up in the epoxy catalyst mixture and gives you even less working time. If I ever use West 105 Epoxy again I would get the 209 super slow hardener instead of the 206 that was supposed to be the slow stuff.... use the 205 hardener at your own perilB|

I will be buying some this weekend. The Chris Craft is almost ready for a couple coats of it to seal the bottom. We have been sanding off all the accumulation of bottom paints that have been put on since 1967. Some of the gel coat layer is coming off in a few places too due to some aggressive sanding and I want to make sure the woven roving fiberglass has a really good waterproof seal before putting on the best hard epoxy anti fouling paint I can get. I will also be using it to seal the fiberglass top of the cabin. Some former idiot of an owner thought that putting butyl caulking compound would be a good way to seal the seam with the aluminum trim above the windows and once I ripped out the natty headliner inside the cabin you could plainly see where there had been some water getting in over the years. There is no rot in the wooden support members.. just water discoloration in the mahogany. I will be sealing all of that with the Gluvit as well, before replacing the headliner. I REALLLLLLLY like to have a nice dry cabin when I go down to my "cabin" at the beach :)

I agree on the 209 super slow (of course we are talking Florida weather). We have used this epoxy on a few projects and really like it but you gots to work fast . And yeah West Marine does not have he lowest prices.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Ahhh, Boat Stuff. :)
Those are those holes in the water next to the dock into which one shovels large amounts of $$$.:P

You want to come shovel some gas money into the 100 gallon tank and kill some sammings and tunies...out off the coast in the Not-So-Pacific Ocean??:ph34r::ph34r:

I built a sailboat in 2008. I used 2:1 mix ratio MarinEpoxy which is less expensive than the brand names. I also used several System Three products.. EZ Fillet, QuikFair and their water based marine epoxy primer. They were all excellent products and if I ever build another boat I will use all System Three products to ensure compatibility.

There are a million tricks to using epoxy to keep it from going off on you....slower hardener, keeping the epoxy in a thin layer rather than a deep layer in a cup, keeping it in an ice bath, etc, etc. If you go to some boatbuilding forums you'll find more information and ideas.

You can mix hardeners as well, slow with fast to get medium, etc depending on what you are doing and the temperatures. When I started my boat there was still snow on the ground and I had to build plastic sheet tents with space heaters inside to get my epoxy to cure. It was slow going as it took 24 hours to get it to kick and harden up nicely.

The two things you definitely need to do with every batch is measure it properly and stir it properly. If you are off on the ratio you may have a horrible mess to scrape and sand off. Ditto if you don't stir it up well enough. I stirred every batch for two minutes and I used a digital cooking scale to measure every batch as well. If you are unsure of your measuments...throw the batch out and mix a new one.

As Jeannie has said...it gets real exciting when your little pot of epoxy starts smoking and turns into a hard little hot puck in moments! Small batches are good ;-)
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Thanks for the replys. I ended up ordering and using West systems epoxy.
After following the instructions I bonded the two halves of the forearm, gave a light sanding
finishing off with 00 grade wire wool then a few coats of True oil,
this weekend I'll see if it stands up to the test.

Gone fishing

Those are those holes in the water next to the dock into which one shovels large amounts of $$$.:P

You want to come shovel some gas money into the 100 gallon tank and kill some sammings and tunies...out off the coast in the Not-So-Pacific Ocean??:ph34r::ph34r:

TUNA! TUNA! TUNA!

I have to go back to Florida before the tuna get here:(, but not before heading to the sound for salmon and crab.

Caught these on the big C the other day:

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

TUNA! TUNA! TUNA!

I have to go back to Florida before the tuna get here:(, but not before heading to the sound for salmon and crab.

Caught these on the big C the other day:

Noice...:)
Little ones this time of year;).... they grow so much between now and August when the big ones show up at the Columbia. As far as the crab.. I follow the old rules about only taking them in months with R. They are firm and full of meat then. I like the dungeness crab that have dark shells with barnacles and seaweed growing on the shell and not the pretty freshly molted crab with light colored shells with little meat in them.

I am still working on the boat...it was time to get all of the old bottom paint off when I saw how some of it came away easily with just the pressure washer.. I was NOT going to put $260 a gallon Petit Vivid over crap that who knows how it was applied. So its all going down to the gelcoat below the waterline then a couple coats of Marine Tex Gluvit Epoxy to really give me a great surface for the biocide. The new paint should be great for a few years. once that is done.... I need to do some sewing to make the perfect top for the boat...I built the stainless bows and sunbrella top for my old boat to stand up to the conditions out here and I just need to recut it to fit the new boat and replace the zippers on thesides and the drop curttain on the helm. Then I only need to mount the radar arch.... the new GPS/sounder with the thru hull and its off to the sound for some sea trials after a good tuneup and oil change at the boat shop.

Edited to add a piccie:P

Little ones this time of year;).... they grow so much between now and August when the big ones show up at the Columbia. As far as the crab.. I follow the old rules about only taking them in months with R. They are firm and full of meat then. I like the dungeness crab that have dark shells with barnacles and seaweed growing on the shell and not the pretty freshly molted crab with light colored shells with little meat in them.

I have to get them when I have the opportunity. This is the first time I've been home in two years and I'm trying to pack as much into this trip as possible. Not doing too bad, been up to Sekiu and got halibut, Dosewallips 3 times for steamers and oysters, slayed the kokanee near Mt. St. Helens, caught a couple salmon, took the family hiking in the Olympics, and tomorrow I'm heading up to the Puget Sound for a couple days on the water. Still have a loooong list of things to do here, but it will have to wait for another year.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

I have to get them when I have the opportunity. This is the first time I've been home in two years and I'm trying to pack as much into this trip as possible. Not doing too bad, been up to Sekiu and got halibut, Dosewallips 3 times for steamers and oysters, slayed the kokanee near Mt. St. Helens, caught a couple salmon, took the family hiking in the Olympics, and tomorrow I'm heading up to the Puget Sound for a couple days on the water. Still have a loooong list of things to do here, but it will have to wait for another year.

Holibut season Part 2 opens in Area 1 Aug 5 till the IPC quota is filled... so off to the Canyon we go on Thur-Sat. I will be headed out from there after that depending on where the tuna are. At least with the tuna.. when they show up.. there is no limit or quota with sport gear. I will be taking the whole 2nd week of the month off to pick off a few nice big chinook as they start to head into the river. When September rolls around.... and the salmon runs get sporadic I will be setting out the crab traps. Less people fish then so there are less idiots to steal your traps or pull your gear and snatch the crab.>:(