craichead

Shoulder surgery tomorrow...<sigh>

Okay, so it's final. I'm having surgery on my right shoulder tomorrow at 11 AM (central time) at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. It's scheduled as outpatient surgery, but they might keep me overnight. :( Anyway, I hope this will fix my recurring shoulder dislocation problem, and I'll be able to jump next season! B|

Please wish me good luck! :)
_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

Thanks to all for the good vibes and good wishes! Now I'm going to order a large pepperoni and sausage pizza for my "Last Supper" (before surgery). B| I wonder if Andy and I can finish it before midnight...I'm not supposed to eat or drink anything after midnight tonight. I'm like a Gremlin! :D

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

Word from the wise. Do LOTS of PT. Get it fixed and keep it that way. It's a bummer, I know, but get it done with. :P Plus, now that it's fixed, it won't pop out when you hop off of the curb or sneeze. Or was that just me. ;) Good luck!

.jim
"Don't touch my fucking Easter eggs, I'll be back monday." ~JTFC

Hello all! I'm now back at home, doped up on oxycontin and vicodin. It's really difficult typing one-handed when you're on painkillers! :S

Surgery went well, but it took much longer than expected. They started at about 12:30 and finished at about 4:15. Very delicate stuff...apparently my injury was much worse than my doctor first thought. If my shoulder were a clock face, I had a tear in the labrum from 10 o'clock to 6 o'clock.

It was all done arthroscopically, so I won't have any gnarly-looking scars. ;) They put me under general anesthesia, which made me feel REALLY shitty after I woke up (cold, nauseated, dizzy, short of breath, etc.), so I stayed overnight. Luckily I also had a nerve block, so I couldn't feel or move my arm until the next morning.

I asked my doctor to take some video (because if it's not on video, it never happened), and he also took a bunch of stills, all on new video equipment! B| So, I'm attaching a couple photos. The first shows the glenoid on the left, labrum in the middle, and the humeral head on the right...the plastic things are for inserting surgical tools. This is right before the doctor was going to tighten everything up with nylon string. The second photo, you can see the string attachment.

I'm feeling woozy...gotta go lie down! :S B|

_Pm
__

Nothing like bumping a thread from 7 years ago to add my story to the mix!

On 7/2/11 I tore my labrum and bruised and dented the head of the humorous when I flared by myself with a very heavy tandem passenger under a SET 400 canopy. I got to about 3/4 brakes before my left arm buckled and I immediately knew something was hurt bad. Bumpy landing but no student injuries. This was my 4th heavy student of the day, and I had practiced the flare up high several times, which I guess really tired me out and I finally overdid it on landing.

On 7/19 I will have arthroscope shoulder surgery to reattach it and stick a tendon in where the bone is dented to prevent it from coming out of socket. Luckily, my surgeon is the same guy who works on the Navy SEALS parachute team and he knew exactly what I meant when I said I hurt it flaring the parachute. He said this will be a season ending injury but not a career ender. I'm pretty hopefully for a full recovery.

I'll let you all know how it goes!

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's messed up their shoulder on flare! I hope everything goes well for you. The physical therapy you do afterwards is rough, but keep up with it. BTW, I liked PT so much that I decided to become a physical therapist. :)
_Pm

__