NickDG

Winter Bike Project . . .

Whats/Whos a MOCO ?:S

Since nobody else has answered:

Harley Davidson MOtorcycle COmpany.

Kinda like calling something made by Chrysler MOtor PARts Division a "Mopar".

Real reason for this post:
Really Cool Race Bike. First win for a US bike at Ilse of Man in a long time.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Bill would require stock exhaust on all bikes manufactured after January 1, 1983.

that would be if you bought a bike "manufactured" (more machinefactured than manufactured, but whatever...). Nina is not "Joe-Blow's Harley. This is how you designed her. The exhaust you have on her is her stock pipe. If you wanted to have 2 vuvuzelas instead, so be it. This is Nina. Dear California, please cope with it.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

did you google vuvuzela ?
I verbed the name :D

Gawd I hat ethose things! WHY the fuck do people blow them at games! those and airhorns...Especially when my son is racing, Idiotss set up in corners ,and blow the horn as a racer goes by....it has caused more than one crash!>:(

Gawd I hat ethose things! WHY the fuck do people blow them at games! those and airhorns...Especially when my son is racing, Idiotss set up in corners ,and blow the horn as a racer goes by....it has caused more than one crash!>:(

The obvious solution is for the crashee to aim for the vuvuzeler.>:(
That would discourage them.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Well, I'm hoping getting Nina registered before the law passes (if it does) makes me exempt. Why I think it's a problem is they may be going by the motor. Although brand new, Nina's motor is a 1999 model year Evo and might need to have the type of pipes that motor comes with when stock.

But, who knows, I hope you guys are right.

NickD :)

Well, I'm hoping getting Nina registered before the law passes (if it does) makes me exempt. Why I think it's a problem is they may be going by the motor. Although brand new, Nina's motor is a 1999 model year Evo and might need to have the type of pipes that motor comes with when stock.

But, who knows, I hope you guys are right.

And you thought the butterflies were bad waiting to fire her the first time, now you have them till the day of your apointment!

If you think unmuffled bikes should be allowed, then why should another person's preferred way of making noise be a problem? If a person wants to drive around with an air horn constantly blasting, shouldn't that be OK?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Yup, and D(mv)-Day is tomorrow!

Here's the issue. I'm not considered the "manufacturer" under California law and Nina will be registered under a "Special Construction" title. Small firms that build custom bikes like Big Bear Choppers, West Coast Choppers, or Sucker Punch Sally do have manufacturer status and their bikes get titled under their company name just like a regular stock Harley does.

But becoming a manufacturer is like getting a TSO on a new rig and way out of the scope of a guy like me who builds just one bike. In fact the way it works now is CARB (the California Air Resource Board) only allows me to build one bike in my entire lifetime that doesn't conform to the same emission controls as a stock manufactured bike.

Every hear a stock Harley called a 49 state bike? That's because the MOCO builds two versions of each of their bikes. One for California and another for the rest of the states in the country. And it's illegal for them to sell the 49 state version here in California as it won't conform to California's stricter emission standards.

And why new Harley owners complain so much about the heat generated by the new Twin Cam Harleys. It's because the MOCO sets them up to run so lean in order to pass the emissions deal. And every one of those Harley owners always do a Stage One upgrade to their bikes almost first thing. And that involves going to aftermarket pipes and air cleaner. And that's going to make them subject to this new law.

If you think unmuffled bikes should be allowed, then why should another person's preferred way of making noise be a problem? If a person wants to drive around with an air horn constantly blasting, shouldn't that be OK?

Who said "Unmuffled"? bit of a streeeeeeeech there!

Small firms that build custom bikes like Big Bear Choppers, West Coast Choppers, or Sucker Punch Sally do have manufacturer status and their bikes get titled under their company name just like a regular stock Harley does.

Supposing a "customer" of one of those firms brought in his own parts, rolling them in under their own power,,,
Seems like they could "build" him a bike for a very nominal fee.;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Whoa, 47!

You so seldom her that, if ever, in today's Twinkie days!

Huh? 47? thems my late models! :ph34r:I have 2 47's and My 42....(See no Evo, Hear no Evo Speak no Evo!)B|
My 42..I looooove this bike, I dreamt of it since i was old enough to remember anything..may look ratty to most,,,but looks like heaven to me!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/American%20Dead/007-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/American%20Dead/008-1.jpg

I'm not the most organized mechanic..:$ but I don;t have to do things twice very often..(Any mechanic that says they never fuck up is a liar)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/American%20Dead/010.jpg

Plus I always have my helper wanting to play ball!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/American%20Dead/027-2.jpg

My Baby, may not shine, but I love her!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v400/onekick/American%20Dead/007-2.jpg