NickDG

Winter Bike Project . . .

LisaH came by yesterday so I could fix her car and in the midst of that UPS started dropping off Nina's latest parts I'd ordered. I wanted badly to rip into the boxes but I was good boy and finished fixing her car first . . .

Today I started fabbing up the voltage regulator and coil mounts.

I also picked up a pretty small battery that physically fits the space I have. It's an AGM type battery. I wasn't familiar with them (pretty new technology) but it looks like it might do the trick. AGMs were developed for the military and it's a deep cycle maintenance free battery but the electrolyte is held inside of glass matting instead of floating free like in a normal flooded battery. It can sustain several gunshots and keep on powering as it's totally leak proof. (Might help me escape a tough situation some night in the hood!)

Nina's Mikuni carb, programmable ignition, and several other items came too. Her pipes haven't but they are on the way. I'm going to be a busy kid for the next few days!

NickD

Baffles?!? What cha need baffles for??? We don't need no stinkin' baffles!!!
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

I also enlisted Julia for a little help. She's a brilliant PHD'd aerospace engineer who had a big hand in designing and building the two Martian Rovers, "Spirit" and "Opportunity." Both Rovers were only planned to last six months on the Martian surface and now they are 2000 days past that time period and they are still sending back data.

Yeah, that's pretty cool, Julia too. ;) Anyway, I remember the old Viking missions to Mars from back when I was a kid. I recently ran across an article about how they continued to send back data for much longer then planned and that there were plans for another Viking-like mission to Mars that would have taken what was basically a Viking lander mounted on something like the moon rovers some of the Apollo astronauts 4-wheeled around the moon on. So, there could have been a rover on Mars back in the 70s, but it wasn't meant to be and had to wait awhile. I'd send my resume to NASA if the current administration hadn't recently shit on NASA. :(

Anyway... back on topic...

I dig the cans of MGD conspicuously posed in several of your recent Nina photos. :D

Put Nina's brain in today. A programmable ignition! It has six dip switches on it for setting it up the way you want. If it works well that should beat the hell out of the old points and condenser dealio. I can also limit the RPMs and hook a tachometer up to it plus you can download stored data from it like engines hours, cycles, (starts & shutdowns) and some neat other stuff too.

Also made up a battery hold down system in place of my cool battery box that won't fit now. And I'm still a bit bummed about that. Also built a coil mount so I also got the coil installed and the plug wires cut to size and the ends put on . . .

NickD :)

I wouldn't be putting on the turn sigs if I didn't need to for registering a "special construction" bike. Nina will be undergoing a light inspection and they need to be on there. You guys with "store bought machines" ;) don't get these inspections. But they're coming off as soon as Nina gets her license plate . . .

When I built mine all the inspector did was check the VIN and engine numbers. We are supposed to have signals in KS but when I got pulled over once because I forgot to put the new registration sticker on the trooper commented about the lack of turn signals but didn't write me up. I was very careful to use appropriate arms signals though when he lit me up.
It's a gift, I don't try to explain it.

closer , closer , closer....fire up day is just around the corner!B|

Hiding them wires takes ten times longer than running them...I have "rerouted" wires as many as 8 times, before finally leaving them where they are...always cut your wires 3 feet too long,....incase you see a better routing!

BTW Nick, (gonna give away a builder secret on line here) do you knwo the "Vacume trick"? when routing threw the frame, drill yoru holes in the frame, (tape up unwanted holes) then use a peice of kite string, going in, a vacume hose sucking on the exit, pulls the string right in, add a stronger string to that end of that, then add your wire ,pull it threw... ( I always use rubber grommets around the holes to avoid future shorts !

Yup, using the string and vacuum trick, I learned that one a long time ago . . .

Spent all day routing wires, stripping, soldering, and shrink wrapping. And you're right about that part, you always see a better way to run wires right after you lock them down.

This is a little thing in the big scheme of things, but Nina's tail light lit up for the very first time today. The photo doesn't do it justice - it was very pretty . . .

It's so cool seeing her come to life!

BTW, in Florida, that is an "Instant" ticket, (250 bucks first offence) for having your tag turned sideways!:o

NO allowance for being an out of stater!

So ya ride down there, turn that puppy sideways, even if ya have to use wire ties!

Not legal here in OZ either
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I saw somewhere you can get a swivel plate mount for those who travel a lot. Here in So Cal the law isn't specific only saying the plate must be visible. What that means is if a cop wants to bust your chops about it he can.

I've been anti-big government since Nixon was President (unlike these idiotic newbie tea baggers) but I don't mind paying taxes to live here (it's the only way things will work) but I hate we don't demand the Government makes things just a little bit easier on us folks. One reason is (as a group) we don't care what happens to the "other" guy. Bullshit laws that effect bikers are of no never mind to someone who only rides bicycles but the fallacy in that is the bell tolls for us all.

Years of shortsighted tax cutting means more laws need to be implemented to raise the shortfall in funds. So the very freedom teabaggers demand is only further curtailed.

Well, enough of that BS. Don't want Nina sent to SC!

Got a few hours this morning so it's back to watts, amps, and volts . . .

I saw a ricky road racer goin down 15 the other day that had his plate mounted on the "inside" of the rear fender, in front of the tire....talk about begging to get stopped! You could only see the plate when you were beside the bike, even then, it was damn hard to see! One mud puddle...Ticket time...

As for the tea party...I am glad they are doing what they can...

Getting closer! I have most of the wires made and just need to route them. But the new handlebar controls haven't arrived yet so that's slowing me down somewhat. On a good note Nina's starter relay and main circuit breaker all fit nicely under her seat. I also placed a small bus bar under there in case I want to hook up something else later on. I also installed a well hidden kill switch.

It turns out my exhaust pipes are "out of stock" but they're getting them for me. It'll just take until next week sometime. I'm also waiting on intake manifold seals so I can install the Micky Rooney carb. I ran the ignition wires up inside Nina's center post and up and over to the coil. So that made for a neat installation. Also did a bunch of those "I'll do it later things," as "later" is right now!

Nick said the pipes were on back order and wouldn't come for another week

Sure, but what you're looking at is right where the pipe off the front jug will be. When building custom projects you have to "look" more than a few steps ahead.;)

Well, you don't have to, but then you have to start re-doing a lot of stuff as you go to make all the systems work together.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I get what you guys mean. I'm not going to lock down that ignition sheath until the pipes are on. But all the cone sided Harley motors (since the Moco did away with the slabsided Shovelhead and went to electronic ignition) run their ignition wires out the bottom of the cam cover. So they should sit far enough away from the front pipe. (Also I'm sure the front pipe will sit outboard and even with the lower frame rail so it'll be all right.

This is kind of hard to understand if you don't speak the King's English but this is Guy Martin narrating his lap around the Isle of Man Time Trials on a Honda 1000. He's doing 190 MPH most of the time. I love it when he casually says, "that's a real man's corner." Boy, lose concentration here for just a second and you're done for. Might ship Nina over there. I'm sure I could manage a lap around doing eighty or so . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVXc29ZgutI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFUYIH2Ttzk&NR=1

My younger brother is in town so I've been doing more relative work than Nina work. His name is Anthony and he does celebrity hair styling. He's out here with some movie star I never heard of from New York that's making a film in Hollywood.

And no, he's not gay, LOL . . .

My younger brother is in town so I've been doing more relative work than Nina work. His name is Anthony and he does celebrity hair styling. He's out here with some movie star I never heard of from New York that's making a film in Hollywood.

And no, he's not gay, LOL . . .

Yes he is:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?