freethefly

Kenda tires for a motorcycle

Just ordered front and rear tires for my FLSTF from J&P (tires, locally cost an arm and a leg.) The tires that I wanted, Metzler, are out of stock and would be more than a month to arrive.
I've used Dunlop for the last thirty years, religiously. As of the last 4 rear tires, I've averaged 3000 miles before needing a new rear tire. At more than $135.00 per tire, it's getting a little more than annoying and expensive. I'm not at all happy with the D401s. The last back tire was a D404. That tire got under 3000 when it started to show thread. Not at all happy with the D404. I swapped the 401 back on her, for the time being, as it did have some tread left. In the far past, I was very happy with Dunlop. The rear tire on the Norton is a K391 S and has near 10,000 on her and plenty of tread left. It was put on in the late 90's. Now, mind you, it is a hard compound, unlike the 401 and the 404, which is a very soft compound. Some of my bro's say they are just as disappointed with Dunlop and switched to the Metzler or Avon. Wanting to get back on the road and not willing to wait for the Metzler or Avon, I went ahead and ordered the Kenda tires. From reviews I have read, people seem to be happy with them. I'm not so happy to put a China tire on my bike, but I'm not willing to wait for the other, or pay more for the alternative to the Metzler.
My question is, has anyone here ever used Kenda? If so, where/are you happy with them?
The two I ordered are under $200.00 for the pair. I, also, ordered a new battery. Orders above $200.00 is free shipping.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Agreed on the mileage issues with Dunlops.
I'm in need a rear soon too.

I've had Avon's before but I don't like the way they ride.
Never heard of Kenda, probably would pass on that reason alone.

The other challenge is buying tires on-line and expecting a local shop to mount, balance, and install. There are no shops like that anymore thanks to liability issues.
I miss taking wheels with tires and calipers in and getting them back all new and rubbery for $8 per.
>:(

hmmmm....

I mount them myself. I can do the job with spoons faster than I can with a machine. As for balancing, I've never worried about it and have never noticed any wobble or erratic wear. Having worked in a few bike shops over the years, I've noticed that as long as the paint dot is lined up with the valve stem, the tire tends to be on the money.

I'm hoping that the cost savings and time savings will pan out with the Kenda tires. I really wanted the Metzler tires, but it seems that J&P is always sold out and on back order. Local shops want near $200.00 for the same Metzler tire. J&P wants $136.00. The Kenda tires are $98.00. Hell, the 4 Firestone Firehawks on my truck were less than $300.00. Long gone are the days when riding was cheap>:(

Neil Young

Wanna talk unfair? My bicycle tires at retail $65 each. You can often find them for about $50. The rear lasts about 1500 miles (4 months of riding), the front 2000.

Considering even your budget Kenda's (which weight probably about 15 ls):

Your tires are about $6.50 per pound.

Mine are $100 per pound.

Who's getting fleeced? [:/]

PS: I tried Kenda's on the bicycle. Crap.

PPS: I ride Michelin's on the SV, so I'm getting another fleecing there! lol

Remster

Why would you risk life & limb w/an unknown (perhaps shoddily constructed) M/C tire??? Not_fer_nuttin, but getting dropped on your head @70MPH isn't going to save you any money. The Chinese tires Kirk used to sell would peal their treads off @the worst times... That was w/only cruisers, mind you.

I've been riding for 27 years, & using Michelins for the last 11yrs. I've been very happy w/them on the street & track. My tires come in different compounds for sport or touring. My middle of the road compound tires last 7500-10K w/only a little spirited riding. I wouldn't put Chinese mystery skins on my bike if you paid me. It's not worth the risk, IMO.

Good Luck.

Kenny

We had to run Kendas as spec tires on our race go kart.
I think the Kendas have a lot of plastic in them. Makes them last, but the more they heat cycle the harder they get. They also took a lot of weight to balance. I hardly ever balanced the Dunlops we ran and they stayed more consistent over their life.
We had the same thing with Brigdestones and Chen Shens, made in China.
Be careful in the rain.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

Why would you risk life & limb w/an unknown (perhaps shoddily constructed) M/C tire???

I hear what you're saying and I had my reservations in getting them, at first. I did check a fair number of forums and websites for reviews. As far as I could tell, everyone who has bought them are extremely happy with them.
I posted here to see if anyone here has had any experience with them.
I've been riding on the street since 76 and have always used Dunlop. However, the last 4 back tires were bald by 3000 miles. Those were 401s and one 404 (the 404 got less than 3000.) The Dunlop K 391 S Sport Elite on the Norton has over 10,000 miles on it and still has plenty of tread. The front is a K 391 FS Sport Elite and still looks new. They were put on in the 90's (I can take pics and post them, if anyone want to see them.) I trust them to not come apart even though they have some years and miles on them. From what I see at Dunlop's website, the 391 is no longer in production. What a shame.
The link below is one of the reviews that I read last night, while deciding on these tires. One guy claims to get 10,000 miles from them. These are the tires I bought. The real review will be once I have them on and some mileage on them.

http://www.pureoffroad.com/kenda_k673_kruz_motorcycle_tires.htm#Reviews
Neil Young

Do you run a lot of burnouts or something? You should be getting a lot more miles from a rear. That thing ain't no Busa.

no, its not a Busa, but huge power, and I use it. You know its a 1200 with about 113 hp right? and the Vboost that kicks in at 6000 rpm adds about 10%

The link below is one of the reviews that I read last night, while deciding on these tires. One guy claims to get 10,000 miles from them. These are the tires I bought.

http://www.unc.edu/depts/jomc/academics/dri/idog.jpg

I know what you mean.
I also checked all of the Harley forums and found near everyone running Kenda are 100% satisfied with them.
Like I said, the real test will be how I feel about them.
The reason, besides the reviews, that I got them is money and time. I should be back on the rails sometime next month and won't be home until December. I can't wait a month for the tires I want. I could go elsewhere for them, but J&P has the best price, and that is a deciding factor over the other guys.
Neil Young

I run Bridgestone BT45 Battlaxs on all my bikes. Very good rubber

I think they suck in comparison to a Metzler, the tread alone is a difference and the composition is way better than a BT.

I do not get my tire breaking loose on cold pavement nor any problems with it hooking up or when leaned over really far.

If you do a lot of upright riding you can get away with a BT but it really is not even close to a Metzler.

I run Bridgestone BT45 Battlaxs on all my bikes. Very good rubber

I think they suck in comparison to a Metzler, the tread alone is a difference and the composition is way better than a BT.

I dont care what you think.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Find Metzlers, buy Metzlers, be safe and be happy.

They are the only tire I use on my bike.

I have had and did not like: Dunlop, Bridgestone Battlax, Michelins (were not bad but not as good as a Metzler)

I wanted the Metzler, but J&P has them on back order for a month. Like I said in my last post, I have maybe a month of riding time before I'm back on the rails. At this point, I'm leaning towards getting Metzlers next time around. I'm done Dunlop's insta-slicks >:(
Neil Young

@ Warpedskydiver.
What kind of mileage are you getting on the rear?
Type of bike?
Weight on the rear?
Riding style?
Do you do a lot of engine braking?
Highways or back roads?
Type of road; asphalt, cement, chat...? I live on the back roads and they are all chat.
Mostly straight or curvy? Roads around here are very curvy.
Hills or flat? Mostly hills around here. I live in the Ozarks.
Neil Young

Motorcycle tires lead a hard life. I'm very cautious w/tires. The injury potential is too high. You've had the same tires on your Norton since the Nineties??? What happened to the five year rule? Even if it's usually garaged, up on stands, & out of the sunlight. That's an awfully long time for a pair of tires.

I wish you the best of luck w/those made-in-Chinas. Cruiser riders aren't known for being hypercritical of their tires. I'm glad they're happy w/'em. I hope you'll be, too. Next time around, you might want to give Michelin a try. I've never had a problem ordering a set of their tires immediately.

Do you run a lot of burnouts or something? You should be getting a lot more miles from a rear. That thing ain't no Busa.

no, its not a Busa, but huge power, and I use it. You know its a 1200 with about 113 hp right? and the Vboost that kicks in at 6000 rpm adds about 10%

What pressure do you run? Should be 44ish, because even with hard use, you should get double that mileage.

Did you know that the D404 has less tread then the D402. 3/32 less if I remember right. I bought a D404 last time and couldn't believe how fast it wore out. I can get an MU85 at RockyMountainAtvmc.com for about $127. I got 9k out of the last 402, about 5k out of this 404 I'm about to change.

Motorcycle tires lead a hard life. I'm very cautious w/tires. The injury potential is too high. You've had the same tires on your Norton since the Nineties??? What happened to the five year rule? Even if it's usually garaged, up on stands, & out of the sunlight. That's an awfully long time for a pair of tires.

I wish you the best of luck w/those made-in-Chinas. Cruiser riders aren't known for being hypercritical of their tires. I'm glad they're happy w/'em. I hope you'll be, too. Next time around, you might want to give Michelin a try. I've never had a problem ordering a set of their tires immediately.

I ran the 391s on my last Fatboy since the bike was new. I swapped the stock tires as soon as they were worn out. Always got 10-15000 out of a back tire. I put over 250,000 miles on that bike. Back tire got changed once a year. The front, about every three years, maybe. Now, I am averaging 2 to 3 back tires per year and not doing no where near what I use to ride. Last summer, rode down to Corsicana, Texas with a brand new tire. By the time I got back up here to Mount Vernon, MO the tire was showing thread. The tire was on her for no more than 3 weeks. Mind you, I took the long route by way of Little Rock down to Texas and then came back up by way of the Pig Trail, so the tire did get a work out, but that is still no reason to have worn so fast.
Really wish Dunlop still offered the 391. My opinion is it was the best they ever made. For what it's worth, I am a PHD Certified Harley Technician. I do know a little something about tires. I realize that the trade off with the softer compound is durability and longevity as opposed to the harder compound that was used in the 391. The 401 and the 402 sticks to the road better than the 391, but not by much. I road my 91 much harder than I do my 05. Besides, it's not like I'm racing it in the Isle of Man at flat out balls to the wall speeds.
Yeah, I know some say to change every 5 years regardless as the compound tends to harden. Tire industry says 6 years for unmounted tires. That said, a buddy of mine put a set of Avons on the 73 Sporty we built 2 years ago. He had those tires in his garage for more than 5 years. He's still running them with no issues. He did use a rejuvenator on them as they weren't cracked or dry rotted. Might try that on the Norton tires when I get her back on the road. If they feel good, I'll run them for awhile, if not, I'll swap them.

What I am seeing on the Kenda tires, I think they'll do for the little time I have left to ride before getting back on the rails.
Neil Young

Did you know that the D404 has less tread then the D402. 3/32 less if I remember right. I bought a D404 last time and couldn't believe how fast it wore out. I can get an MU85 at RockyMountainAtvmc.com for about $127. I got 9k out of the last 402, about 5k out of this 404 I'm about to change.

The 404 has a lower load capacity, also.
H-D does not recommend using the 404, although, a lot of guys do. I'll never use one ever again.

The D401 is the only tire that H-D recommends. I think they need to start recommending a few others.
Neil Young

What pressure do you run? Should be 44ish, because even with hard use, you should get double that mileage.

44? I don't even run that high on the back tire of my work bike, and that ST1300 weighs in around 850-900lbs before I even get on it! On a Vmax with the light weight of that bike, I bet 35-38lbs would give the best performance trade off (without looking at the manual).

We run a dual compound on the work bike and I'm averaging about 5000 miles a set, but we wear out the sides long before the center of the tire is worn.:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."