NWPoul

Lost main, Need advice about canopy for replace...

Hi people!

Lost my main canopy during "crash landing" last weekend (a nice PD Spectre was hard damaged by trees :( ) so I have to quick find something to replace them...There is a few canopies which can be available very soon, one of them is Robo Z made by Paraflight...
I never heard about this type (gues it's an old canopy) Can anyone tell something about this canopy?

I would greatly appreciate your any suggestion opinion or advice.
Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

they were a decent canopy at the time they were introduced, not a bad canopy by any means, I found the openings to be slow, on heading, toggle pressure was not bad, it didnt like front risering at all, and I found the flare to be weak.... mind you this canopy had about 600 jumps on it on the same line set so the weak flare was probably due to being out of trim. If the price is right, buy it.

but my opinion is the spectre is a superior canopy, so you may be a bit disappointed if you try to compare them performance wise.

edit to add* I was right around a 1-1 wing loading on it at the time

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Thanks for your review!

...but my opinion is the spectre is a superior canopy, so you may be a bit disappointed if you try to compare them performance wise.

Yep, I sure you right, but I need a canopy right now until I find something good for me (looking for a saphire or sabre2 or spectre:) )

edit to add* I was right around a 1-1 wing loading on it at the time

Well, may be at ~1.4 it will be little bit more fun to drive this canopy:)

Roy

Agree it's be a little bit more than it should be but we have a lot of deep soft snow here:)

How did I end up in the tree? well it was a nice day with almost still at the ground so when I deployed my main (after a realy fun jumpB|) right over DZ I didn't expect any trobles but after I collapsed my slider and grab the toggles I was find out that I am move backward even on front risers under my spectre with w/l ~1.36! and already far from the DZ! (there was a strong wing about 17 m/s at the 300-800 meters) so I was forced to land into the forest.
I chosed a narrow cutting for landing but there was a trees across the cutting and my flight was finished on one of these trees:) deep snow saved my ass but didn't help to my canopy...

Well I ordered my rig with this respect (WL was ~1.25) but I find out that during last 2 month I gained weight :o so WL become 1.36 (It's sad cause I can quckly get safire 149, but now....) but I was quite statisfied how my spectre fly and land.

SP-170-CP7-0003 TUR-WHT-BBY-BBY-BBY-WHT-TUR MAIN, 7 CELL SPECTRE 170 SQ FT

SP-170-CP7-0006 BBY-JAD-WHT-BBY-WHT-JAD-BBY MAIN, 7 CELL SPECTRE 170 SQ FT

SP-170-CP7-0008 TGR-LEM-WHT-TGR-WHT-LEM-TGR MAIN, 7 CELL SPECTRE 170 SQ FT

SP-170-CP7-0011 JAD-BBY-JAD-JAD-JAD-BBY-JAD MAIN, 7 CELL SPECTRE 170 SQ FT

SP-170-CP7-0013 JAD-LEM-LEM-JAD-LEM-LEM-JAD MAIN, 7 CELL SPECTRE 170 SQ FT

SP-190-CP7-0003 TUR-WHT-BBY-BBY-BBY-WHT-TUR MAIN, 7 CELL SPECTRE 190 SQ FT

SP-190-CP7-0011 JAD-BBY-JAD-JAD-JAD-BBY-JAD MAIN, 7 CELL SPECTRE 190 SQ FT

SP-190-CP7-0013 JAD-LEM-LEM-JAD-LEM-LEM-JAD MAIN, 7 CELL SPECTRE 190 SQ FT

SP-190-CPX-0005 RED-GOL-RED-BLK-RED-GOL-RED RED STABS CAS 550 LINES RED SLIDER CANOPY,MAIN,SPORT,7 CELL,SP,190

These and more appear to be avaliable imediately from the PD website. Contact a PD dealer for details. May I suggest www.square1.com
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

He's in Russia. That does make it harder.
But there are still a couple of Spectre 170's in Europe in the classifieds. Prices are pretty retail, but proximity makes a difference.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

How did I end up in the tree? well it was a nice day

Yes it was a nice day before first jump...
I was in this helicopter too.
I was more lucky with this forest landing, fell from about 10 feets into deep forest snow, my canopy collapsed from contact with tree.

I glad everybody is ok after this jump.

Well, at least I'll be able to make 3-5 jumps/week so I just don't want waste the time espetially at now I realized that gain the expirience (for current WL :) )much better when there is a lot of snow in the forest:)

I don't won't to completely change my rig (which will be nessesary to fly on 190) and speaking honestly dont want 190 anyway:)

And, well, under a 1.4 W/L you won't be able to jump in Kolomna or Stupino (I believe).

I intend to lose a few kilos:)

Thanks for links:)

These and more appear to be avaliable imediately from the PD website. Contact a PD dealer for details. May I suggest http://www.square1.com

I didn't find the prices for canopies on stock =/ are these canopies cheaper than at PD?

pd dont generally sell direct, you need to go through a dealer. The dealer will be able to sell you any of the stock canopies though, they can be sent direct from pd you just pay the money via the dealer. Check for the prices via the dealer. If you get it sent direct to you you may be liable for import taxes (you are in UK don't know about Russia) If you are do you know anyone going to the states who can bring it back for you.

Actually I am looking for used canopy (the reason is...yes money =/), but when I was looking for rig I saw on Sunpath's site that on stock items much cheaper that same item if it need to be ordered.

Day 1: Jump PD canopy, and run into a tree.

Day 2: Deciede to buy a cheap replacement
at a higher WL.

Day 3: Anyone care to guess?

Me! Me!

We'll see a "Learning my lesson" thread in incidents which may or may not have a happy ending. Loading at 1.4 with sub 100 jumps and no coaching is simple lunacy, in my opinion.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

The guy from The Netherlands that won a custom Aerodyne canopy at the Ampuria Xmas boogie tombola will sell his coupon for EUR 1000 because he had just bought brand new gear. This gives you a brand new custom Aerodyne main (for you I'd suggest a Triathlon at that WL...), cheap!

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Thanks for info;) but triathlon I can consider only as a quick replacement until I'll get safire or sabre2 or spectre, so I can't spend 1000 euro for it (for example this robo i can buy for 450$ and as I was told here already is guy, who will buy it few month later).

Look.

You've already made up your mind what you're going to do. What you want us to do is tell you it's a good idea - but I don't think it is.

Go and buy your Robo-Z. It's cheap and will fit in your container. There. Happy now?

t
It's the year of the Pig.

You've already made up your mind what you're going to do

Actually no

What you want us to do is tell you it's a good idea - but I don't think it is.

I just wanted to hear what robo z is, how does it fly and if I'll be advised that I defenetly should not to try it, I will consider other variants (for example used triatlon it's has more jumps# and cost a little bit more $$$). BTW this is what exactly happened (thanks to hookitt, he has provide me with a perfect review and advice) so at now I am choising between Tri 165 and falcon (no, now only Tri because falcon is 150 sq/ft =/)

Go and buy your Robo-Z. It's cheap and will fit in your container. There. Happy now?

Yep!:) thanks to everyone for your opinion/suggestion/advices;)

blu skies! & Be safe:P

P/S I had read this thread (Learning my lesson)

P/P/S Sorry for my english:$