PhreeZone

Performing background/credit checks?

Does anyone have any favorite resources that they would recommend in performing a background/credit check on someone else? I need to rent a house out and want to screen potential tenants but don't have a clue as to which services actually work or which just spit out junk for their results.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Not quite on topic, but have you considered a rental management firm? I can only imagine what a PITA being a landlord must be. I know my current landlord (a small businessman) is throwing in the towel and letting a management firm take over the reins. It cuts into the profits from the rent collected, but in turn they take over all the annoying crap like background checks and whatnot.

I'm a DIYer in many regards, but I'm also not afraid to let the pros step in when needed!

Elvisio "Lawd, she was lovey-dovey" Rodriguez

I had single family rental houses.

Two methods always worked for me.
After fielding all of the calls, I would set "appointments" on Saturday from 8 am to 5 pm.

Told them that my handyman was over there working.
The handyman was of course me.
You got to observe them with their guard down.

Worked everytime.

And you can find the axe murderers with
http://www.publicdata.com/

Don't go away mad....just go away!

That's a really great idea.
You can also use a leasing agent, who will have some experience in screening. Of course, then you give them money for the service.

Now, we want some funny bad-potential-tenant stories, max...

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

That's a really great idea.
You can also use a leasing agent, who will have some experience in screening. Of course, then you give them money for the service.

Now, we want some funny bad-potential-tenant stories, max...

Wendy P.

I don't have anything funny, but the only two times I've tried renting my place myself, I got screwed, partially to my own fault. I didn't make them pay a security deposit. First guy paid 1st month's rent, and got nothin' else. Kicked him out after 2 and a half months there. Second person was my neighbor's niece who had just moved into the area. I offered to let her have the 1st month free and cut her a really low price on the rental for following months as a favor to my neighbor. I never saw a dime, but she never hesitated to ask for work to get done to the house. I quit doing work. She bitched. I said work costs money and right now you owe me money, so pay what you owe and I'll do the work. She was gone in a week.

Some people's kids.[:/]>:(
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Does anyone have any favorite resources that they would recommend in performing a background/credit check on someone else? I need to rent a house out and want to screen potential tenants but don't have a clue as to which services actually work or which just spit out junk for their results.

Equifax is one of the big three credit reporting agencies (Equifax, Transunion, Experian). They have a service for screening residents. No idea how much it costs.

... and edited to include one more data point: Equifax identity report:

From the link:
"Anyone who might be engaging in a person-to-person transaction with someone that they don't know can benefit from Equifax Identity Report. For example, if you are a landlord, if you're buying or selling a car, listing an item for sale in the Classifieds section, even if you're looking for a nanny or contractor, requesting to review someone's Identity Report can be a good first step towards a successful
transaction."