ZRX

USPA license for Canadian ?

Hi everyone , i'm new to skydiving and this forums. I just started my sky journey, and have only one tandem behind. Planing to take A-license package in start of 2011 season. Done some research and found that complete course in USA will be much cheaper than in Canada ( thats not the only reason i want USPA license , not CSPA). I'm currently leaving in Canada and have Canadian citizenship. Is it possible for me to get USPA membership and a-license by not being a US resident?
Will appreciate any info.

P.S.: Sry for my english :/

Hi everyone , i'm new to skydiving and this forums. I just started my sky journey, and have only one tandem behind. Planing to take A-license package in start of 2011 season. Done some research and found that complete course in USA will be much cheaper than in Canada ( thats not the only reason i want USPA license , not CSPA). I'm currently leaving in Canada and have Canadian citizenship. Is it possible for me to get USPA membership and a-license by not being a US resident?

You can skydive in Canada with a USPA licence no problem but don't be surprised as a Canadian citizen and resident if dropzones in Canada require you to have a CSPA membership as well.

CSPA's insurance coverage for 3rd party liability coverage is much higher than USPA's
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

You can skydive in Canada with a USPA licence no problem but don't be surprised as a Canadian citizen and resident if dropzones in Canada require you to have a CSPA membership as well.

CSPA's insurance coverage for 3rd party liability coverage is much higher than USPA's

A couple things:

Don't confuse "where you get your training" and "which aeroclub you are a member of". Yes, you can get your training in the US, even your A licence in the US with a USPA licence. Those will be recognized in Canada.

BUT

3rd party liability insurance (the insurance you get as part of a USPA or CSPA membership) is only valid if you are a resident of that country, or jump in that country. As such, as a canadian resident, if you only have a USPA license, you will not have 3rd part coverage while jumping in Canada (or other parts of the world).

Also, as you progress, you probably will be calling a Canadian DZ home (maybe not, I know some Canadian who almost exclusively jump in the US, but you get my drift). In order to get CSPA licenses as you progress, you would need to be a member of CSPA.

PS: si tu comprends pas, posse tes questions dans le Forum francais... Y'a plusieurs Quebecois qui frequentent ce forum.
Remster

3rd party liability insurance (the insurance you get as part of a USPA or CSPA membership) is only valid if you are a resident of that country, or jump in that country. As such, as a canadian resident, if you only have a USPA license, you will not have 3rd part coverage while jumping in Canada (or other parts of the world).

Are you sure about that? I thought so as well but I couldn't find much on the USPA website. Only thing I could find was "All claims must be brought in the U.S. or Canada."

Are you sure about that? I thought so as well but I couldn't find much on the USPA website. Only thing I could find was "All claims must be brought in the U.S. or Canada."

I havent checked recently... It may have changed... If you have the data, cool.

EDIT: the link you posted doesnt address that. What I remember is that the clause of the actual policy is only for US residents. Does someone have the policy handy? Couldnt find it on the USPA site.
Remster

This is a grey area. Technically you can learn to skydive anywhere. In reality, where you plan to do most of your jumping may make a difference. For example, licence requirements vary from country to country, as do the privileges granted by each licence level. Figure out where you think you want to jump, talk to them and go from there. Training is cheaper in the US, but what will your travel and accommodation cost you, when will you have the time to do such a trip/s and if you ever wish to compete, you'll probably have to go through Canadian licensing anyway. That last one is probably the last thing on your mind but on the other hand, I'd hazard a gues that could have been said about many national representatives when they first started out.

Congratulations, and welcome to the sport!

To answer your question, yes, you can join the USPA and get USPA licenses. There are even USPA dropzones in Canada.

I visited Montreal, and was able to jump at one DZ with just my USPA license. BUT, the DZ closest to my house wanted me to join the CSPA for insurance reasons. Many DZs want the higher insurance coverage of the CSPA $2Mil vs the USPA $50,000.

Hope to see you next season!

i was talking to a canaidan jumper once and he said that the CSPA will respect a USPA as one less than their own

IE
if you have a USPA D
you would have a CSPA C

and so on...

(just what ive heard, nothing to back it up. so take it for a grain of salt)

also doesnt the CSPA have like an E and an F license?
Jump more, Bitch less.

try going for both!

the PIM manuals have a ton of more information than the sim
Look out for the freefly team, Smelly Peppers. Once we get a couple years more experience we will be a force to be reckoned with in the near future! BLUES!

i was talking to a canaidan jumper once and he said that the CSPA will respect a USPA as one less than their own

IE
if you have a USPA D
you would have a CSPA C

and so on...

(just what ive heard, nothing to back it up. so take it for a grain of salt)

also doesnt the CSPA have like an E and an F license?

Since the D is not required for anything except a course facilitator (I/E) rating, that would be all you need. I have a C license and that was good enough for Strong and UPT for tandem ratings.
CSPA used to have an E license but deleted it when they re-did them about 6 years ago. They have never had an F license.

Thanks for french info bro, but i'm originally from Ukraine ;)
Looks like i can have both memberships at the time.

This is a grey area. Technically you can learn to skydive anywhere. In reality, where you plan to do most of your jumping may make a difference. For example, licence requirements vary from country to country, as do the privileges granted by each licence level. Figure out where you think you want to jump, talk to them and go from there. Training is cheaper in the US, but what will your travel and accommodation cost you, when will you have the time to do such a trip/s and if you ever wish to compete, you'll probably have to go through Canadian licensing anyway. That last one is probably the last thing on your mind but on the other hand, I'd hazard a gues that could have been said about many national representatives when they first started out.

My travel cost not really a problem , anyway i planing to visit my friends in US at the same time i'll go for training. First year or two i will jump in Canada and sometimes in US, than planing to move to Ukraine for some time. So maybe i will have to get membership of some local association, or maybe it will be enough USPA or CSPA membership.

Congratulations, and welcome to the sport!

To answer your question, yes, you can join the USPA and get USPA licenses. There are even USPA dropzones in Canada.

I visited Montreal, and was able to jump at one DZ with just my USPA license. BUT, the DZ closest to my house wanted me to join the CSPA for insurance reasons. Many DZs want the higher insurance coverage of the CSPA $2Mil vs the USPA $50,000.

Hope to see you next season!

Thanks for coverage info, will be glad to see you next to me in the sky !

As i understand i have to sign up membership with association at least for 1 year. So if i planing to jump most of the time in Canada i can come to US for training , get license, get USPA membership which is required in order to get license, and get CSPA membership upon arrival to home, after 1 year - cancel USPA membership, and renew it only when i need license upgrade( lets say C cause i planing to get B in first year also)?