LongWayToFall

Just bought my dream ride..... Woohoo!

I have been wanting this exact bike (05-06 GSX-R1000, this is an 05) since they came out. Lots of great features, big horsepower, very light weight (435lbs with a full tank of gas and all fluids).
I bought it from the original owner, and he put on some very nice extras, some of which I would be doing anyways which saved me quite a bit of money. Full exhaust system, power commander (allows you to tune the air/fuel mixture) as well as some other small engine changes upped the power of this guy to 165hp to the rear wheel.... That is like 30+hp more than my toyota pickup truck!

Anyways, I couldn't be happier. Anybody else out there ever manage to get their dream vehicle? (obviously setting your sights to a reasonable level helps achieve this... hahaha)

Edit to add: I had to make the image tiny to meet the max size requirement, bummer. Here is a link to a picture of what it looks like (not my bike though)

http://www.mcnews.com.au/Wallpaper/Suzuki/GSXR1000/2005/gsxr1000_yellow_rhs_1024.jpg

Got my car, had my bike. Bike was stolen a while ago and while I finally got another bike last year it's just not the same. I'd like an 08 Raven R1 so I'm looking around. Thought about an 1198 but the price doesn't match up with the fun as well as an R1.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

I wouldn't mind having one but the big problem is that if I had one I would very likely end up dead within a year of getting one. Plus theres the fact that the Finnish regulator/bureaucrats/whatever absolutely hate motorcycles so they're taxed through the roof. If you walk into a shop and buy a GSX-R1000 brand new it'll cost you 19990,17 EUR or about 25273,57 USD.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

I wouldn't mind having one but the big problem is that if I had one I would very likely end up dead within a year of getting one.

Sort of like a kid (20yrs old) who head butted a suburban on GSX-R1000 with a power commander and NOS. He hit so hard that his full face helmet broke across the sides and his face exploded at the sinuses. A large portion of his brain continued downrange about 60ft. Crushing the suburban at the c-pillar and spinning it 3 times into on coming traffic. Another 6-inches to the left and he would have pierced the rear doors and seriously hurt the young children in the back.

Fail ROW you say? Sort of, the bike was well north of 100mph as it rolled through a corner with a rise. With the site distance of that roadway, the driver of the suburban would have only seen the rider about 1.5 seconds before impact.

Last I heard is that the young mother driving that suburban had tried to commit suicide and is still seeking around her ruined life. Ruined by a kid going double the posted speed limit because he thought he was special.

So enjoy your dream ride, but enjoy it responsibly. I'm a serious motorcycle enthusiast that spends more time in the saddle in a month than most people spend in a year, so I understand, just be careful and get top quality training.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Bought an '06 BMW R1200GS in 2009. Put about 60k on it in about a year and a half (closer to 70k now). So far have buried it in snow, sand, and mud. Toured through 26 states and camped on the shores of three oceans. Been a great bike and I will keep it till it no longer runs.

Got my motorcycle endorsement in '08 and its been a hell of an adventure.

Bought an '06 BMW R1200GS in 2009. Put about 60k on it in about a year and a half (closer to 70k now). So far have buried it in snow, sand, and mud. Toured through 26 states and camped on the shores of three oceans. Been a great bike and I will keep it till it no longer runs.

I'm jealous. A solid adventure bike is on my list, but I was thinking about the smaller BMW. I've spent a lot of time on the back of an old BMW 1150RT before trading that out for a Honda ST1300. The BMW was nice, better ABS than the Honda, but with much heavier steering.

Haha, don't worry I got my motorcycle permit when I was 15 1/2, and now I am 26. I have had a bike this whole time, and ride as much as I can. I just sold my 2000 RC51 a few months back, and still miss it, but this new bike certainly helps.
So yeah, probably 100-150k street miles and countless dirt bike hours, and I have only had one at fault accident, a low side at 10mph in gravel. I got hit a couple years back by a guy in his car who wasn't looking, and needed ankle surgery, so I know all about the risks riders take....
I would say that I am very conservative when it comes to riding, but that doesn't mean I don't like to open it up every now and then when the time is right... Living in the bay area means I have tons of beautiful twisty roads close by, and motorcycles are the only way to enjoy them properly!
If anyone ever heads out to the bay area with their bike, send me a PM and I can show you lots of fun places to ride.

AggieDave- Weren't you the one who said you figured out a way to attach your phone to your gas tank, and were posting to DZ.com while you were on duty??? B|B|B|

About the BMWs, they are sweet bikes! When I get older I am sure I will be heading in that direction, but for now I will stick with the sport bikes as long as my body can tolerate the aggressive body position.
A friend of mine who is one of the fastest riders I know has a Ducati 849 (I think, it is a couple years old and white) as well as one of the BMW 4 cylinders which he bought shortly after they came out. He totally rips on that BMW....
Bikes with softer than race suspension usually do the best on actual roads, because they can maintain their speed through bumps, while super stiff bikes will be hopping all over the place... My friend's BMW can just fly through all sorts of stuff. I love the on the fly suspension adjustments too....

Anyways, I will do my best to take it easy for awhile and get to know the bike before I really push it hahaha.

P.S. I hope to do some track days on this thing soon!!

Nice!
B|
I miss the crotch rockets sometimes. My legs and wrists don't.

old age is a bitch isnt it ;)

heehee, dont kill me :D
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

AggieDave- Weren't you the one who said you figured out a way to attach your phone to your gas tank, and were posting to DZ.com while you were on duty??? B|B|B|

Naw, since I'm riding on the back I can just hold the phone in my hands now...