Lisbeth Salander - Any Fans Here?

+1

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Bummer.....not available yet. I did just see that David Fincher is doing an English remake. I hope they are as edgy as the originals.

I knew about Hornet's Nest and have it queued for its DVD release. I really enjoyed the Swedish films and learned a while ago about the remake/s--not sure I will watch. I do not mean that to sound snobby or anti-mainstream, but Noomi Rapace is so perfect as Lisbeth and I just do not see Rooney Mara fitting the bill, much less anything else without the inevitable "dumbing down".
"Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be." ~ Temple Grandin

Bummer.....not available yet. I did just see that David Fincher is doing an English remake. I hope they are as edgy as the originals.

I knew about Hornet's Nest and have it queued for its DVD release. I really enjoyed the Swedish films and learned a while ago about the remake/s--not sure I will watch. I do not mean that to sound snobby or anti-mainstream, but Noomi Rapace is so perfect as Lisbeth and I just do not see Rooney Mara fitting the bill, much less anything else without the inevitable "dumbing down".

I for one don't understand why Americans don't have more appreciation for foreign films.

mh

I for one don't understand why Americans don't have more appreciation for foreign films.

I guess partly because Hollywood is so massive and its films permeate so much space in US theaters and TV that foreign films don't get widely seen in the US. It doesn't occur to a lot of Americans to think outside the Hollywood box. I remember really starting to dig foreign films when I saw the Brazilian film Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands in subtitled Portuguese in a theater in the late 70s. Made me realize there's a whole world of excellent film-making beyond the shores of my own country.

You said it.

There's a whole world of excellent filmmaking out there. They don't know what they're missing out on.

mh

I guess partly because Hollywood is so massive and its films permeate so much space in US theaters and TV that foreign films don't get widely seen in the US. It doesn't occur to a lot of Americans to think outside the Hollywood box. I remember really starting to dig foreign films when I saw the Brazilian film Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands in subtitled Portuguese in a theater in the late 70s. Made me realize there's a whole world of excellent film-making beyond the shores of my own country.

I think there's also a perception that all foreign films are in some way 'Arthouse' type flicks, which makes it less likely that anyone will give them a first chance. Then of course because they're not traditionally successful, no-one's going to bother marketing them much which means you can't find them unless you're looking for them...
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I for one don't understand why Americans don't have more appreciation for foreign films

I would say at least half of the Netflix movies we watch are foreign. I prefer films that must stand on their story and characters alone without the help of many special effects, though special effects have their place, such in Avatar (loved it!)
"Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be." ~ Temple Grandin

Dammitt...I'm in the middle of the second book right now, and its killing me not knowing who killed Mia and Dag. I don't get much time to pleasure read, so I have a feeling I will be stuck in this phase for a while!

+1 for Salander, she's awesome. I know she'll win in the end!
And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

I see where Hollywood has bought the screen rights to this trilogy. Who did they cast in the title roll? Some blond haired, blue eyed teeny bopper.... At least the Swedish version cast someone appropriate to the roll.

Hollywood gets on my tits!!>:( - The films have already been made - watch them, they're great.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Dammitt...I'm in the middle of the second book right now, and its killing me not knowing who killed Mia and Dag. I don't get much time to pleasure read, so I have a feeling I will be stuck in this phase for a while!

The books read quick-N-easy. Unwinding for bedtime is the only time I have to read. I'd tell you who the killer(s) was/were. But, you'd probably hunt me down & kill me.

+1 for Salander, she's awesome. I know she'll win in the end!

You're sure she wins in the end, are you? Wouldn't that be an ass-kicker? A lengthy trilogy where the Heroine doesn't make it @the eleventh hour. Would make for an awfully successful series, though. Oh wait, it is awfully successful. That's all I can say. Happy Reading:).

As described in the book Lisbeth is less than 5' tall, with a flat chest (until she has breast augmentation anyway). The Swedish chick doesn't match up very well either. And Mikael is supposed to be a hot dude that the girls are drawn to like flys to ..., well you know what flys like. Again the Swedish dude is not hot at all, I can tall that, and I'm not into hot guys. And the chick that plays Erika Berger isn't exactly Jennifer Aniston either, from reading the book I thought Erika would be at least somewhat fuckable. From the turn out of Swedish actors one would think that the whole darn country is a bunch of homely folk. I hope not, I have a fair amount of Swedish blood. But then again, I'm no Robert Redford either. Regardless, the movies are still good.

Not feelin it... [:/]

She looks like a blond-haired, blue-eyed Hollywood tweenie TRYING to look like Lisbeth. She doesn't have the look right @all.

Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Do you have time to pleasure "listen"? Audible.com has all three unabridged books.

I do, but audibles books are expensive...I'm not paying $15 for what I can get for $7 in paperback.

But, if you or anybody else know of any cheaper places for downloadable books, I'm all ears. :)
And for the record: the appropriate ranking of cool modes of transportation is jet pack, hover board, transporter, Batmobile, and THEN giant ant.
D.S. #8.8

You're sure she wins in the end, are you? Wouldn't that be an ass-kicker? A lengthy trilogy where the Heroine doesn't make it @the eleventh hour. Would make for an awfully successful series, though. Oh wait, it is awfully successful. That's all I can say. Happy Reading.

Well by 'win' I at least know she survives the second book:D
D.S. #8.8

As described in the book Lisbeth is less than 5' tall, with a flat chest (until she has breast augmentation anyway). The Swedish chick doesn't match up very well either. And Mikael is supposed to be a hot dude that the girls are drawn to like flys to ..., well you know what flys like. Again the Swedish dude is not hot at all, I can tall that, and I'm not into hot guys. And the chick that plays Erika Berger isn't exactly Jennifer Aniston either, from reading the book I thought Erika would be at least somewhat fuckable. From the turn out of Swedish actors one would think that the whole darn country is a bunch of homely folk. I hope not, I have a fair amount of Swedish blood. But then again, I'm no Robert Redford either. Regardless, the movies are still good.

Not feelin it... [:/]

She looks like a blond-haired, blue-eyed Hollywood tweenie TRYING to look like Lisbeth. She doesn't have the look right @all.

I took Micki to look pretty much the way the Swedish character looked. I thought he'd be a bit heavier, & w/a beard. I had to chuckle as I read the passages where he was a man "Men wanted to be, & women wanted to be with." I think Larsson was trying to show the world his inner fantasy for himself. Erika I definitely pictured differently than the Swedish actress. Yes, including her having more sex appeal & sophistication. They cast Aniston in her role? Good grief. That's not right, either. It takes a lot more than facial powder, & far too much mascara to make Lisbeth. You read the book, & her descriptions. The Swedish actress came much closer than blondie. I think she also caught some of her fire.

I'm glad you liked the movies. The first one was more than enough suffering for me. I'll stick w/the books.

I see where Hollywood has bought the screen rights to this trilogy. Who did they cast in the title roll? Some blond haired, blue eyed teeny bopper.... At least the Swedish version cast someone appropriate to the roll.

Hollywood gets on my tits!!>:( - The films have already been made - watch them, they're great.

We agree. +1

mh

Erika I definitely pictured differently than the Swedish actress. Yes, including her having more sex appeal & sophistication. They cast Aniston in her role? Good grief. That's not right, either.

Robyn Wright has been cast as Erika.
Owned by Remi #?