Anvilbrother

Masters graduation gift for wife

Here is the story, my wife of going on 8 years is about to graduate. The wife works super long hours and does a great job at work, home, and with our daughter. On top of all that she went back to school on nights and is a few months away from getting her masters completed. I am looking for ideas for a grand slam graduation gift for her.

Any gift ideas?

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Apart from a skydive....

Diamond earings, or jewelry of some description. Something she will have forever, to remind her of the degree she is going to have forever.
And flowers for after the ceremony itself.
And make sure she goes to the graduation ceremony and encourage her to buy something new to wear to it.
And take her out to dinner/brunch/linch afterwards.

Make it be a really big deal day!

My brother reserved a weekend in Jamaica, got everything arranged (including someone to look in on their teenaged sons), and surprised her at the last minute with "we're not going out to dinner -- you have to pack for Jamaica."

Now -- she enjoys surprises, and doesn't agonize over packing. But she loved the surprise. Something over-the-top that she doesn't have to lift a finger for would be great. It doesn't have to be expensive, just something that she shows up for and enjoys -- weekend at a hotel with dinner & movies already arranged, etc.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

We really need more info on what your wife likes. Would she want to travel? Would she prefer to be sent on a spa weekend alone (it sounds like she needs some relaxing time!) or would she be happier sharing it with you or you and your daughter?

Is she a glamour girl, or is she more relaxed in her style? How long does it take for her to get ready to go out? That might help us!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

What is she getting her Masters degree in? That might give us a bit of a clue as to what she likes.

I agree with this. A gift related to her degree or intended profession is always nice (although perhaps not as big a splash as it sounds like you are looking to make).
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

A fine leather briefcase. Not a square box wrapped in leather, but something elegant she can carry an iPad or ultra laptop in plus a few other essentials. If you know any of her female friends from the class, you might have them help you pick an appropriate one out.

As an MBA one of the things she's always going to want to do is look sharp and professional.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

A fine leather briefcase. Not a square box wrapped in leather, but something elegant she can carry an iPad or ultra laptop in plus a few other essentials. If you know any of her female friends from the class, you might have them help you pick an appropriate one out.

As an MBA one of the things she's always going to want to do is look sharp and professional.

What Paul said, or a nice watch (useful jewelry) or, as mentioned a fewntimes already, a nice weekend away.

I did my MBA while working too, and a weekend away is a nice touch since she probably feels like she has neglected you too (I know I felt that way) and this is a nice together celebration.

Remi, who needs to figure out something fo his wi who finishes her Pharm Doc next year
Remster

The only downside is that if she enjoys shopping, she might feel as though you've taken some of that fun away. But yeah, a really kickass briefcase that she feels puts her on a par with any other professional is always good.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I like the breifcase Idea, as well. but if you have the money to take it a step further...

The breifcase is bound to have compartments and pockets.

a few of those pockets have to be big enough to hold tickets.
Airplane tickets, of spa gift certificates, or weekend get away information or directions to her favorite romantic resturant with a date proposal...etc

Talk about whoo factor.

She'll probably enjoy the idea of celebrating her hard work with a breifcase but the over the top aspect of the "But, wait. THERE'S MORE."

will let her know that while you support her hard work, you also still enjoy her time with you.
My photos

My Videos

The only downside is that if she enjoys shopping, she might feel as though you've taken some of that fun away. But yeah, a really kickass briefcase that she feels puts her on a par with any other professional is always good.

Not so fast, folks. A good number of years ago, my wife got me a really nice briefcase when I'd landed a job I wanted. So, a couple years later, when my wife landed a new job, I reciprocated (or so I figured... [:/]) and bought her a nice leather, women's-style professional briefcase, kinda similar to THIS ONE.

Well, from her reaction, you'd have thought I actually had given her that vacuum cleaner I joked about above. She felt the gift of a briefcase was cluelessly un-sentimenal and impersonal on my part. And she didn't let me live it down, either; she got a good 10 years of mileage out of that one. It was truly the gift that kept on giving.

So just a word of warning to all you guys out there. To plagiarize from our brother DZ.com-er, I feel like signing this: Elvisio "But honey, I think you look hot in leather" Rodriguez. :D