Krip

Manganese in Well water

Hi

We were at the local grocery store and noticed a dude filling up gallon jugs of water $.50/gallon. The water has been "purified".[:/]

We asked him whats the deal:). He claims that him and his three neighbors have excessive amounts of Manganese (Mn) in their well water that may be causing their tremor's.

The dude was older than I am (we just signed up for medicare:S) so I asked him how does he know his tremors are being caused by Mn and not Old.;)

Anyway we'll send in some water samples from our well for testing. do the google thing, scratch head scratch butt. I already know we have some Mn in our water due to the staining in the plumbing fixtures.

Anyone in the universe have any experience with health issues related to Mn vs Old besides google?.

I'm doomed, doomed I tell you:(

Drink less water, more beer, steam veggies in beer etc etc, :)
One Jump Wonder

Drink Coors.

Rocky Mountain water yada yada. . . I don't know. far as I know, that shit is probably full of U235.:D

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Drink Coors.
far as I know, that shit is probably full of U235.:D

If U235 is the Coors in-house trade secret code name for skunk piss, you're probably right.

It IS made in GOLDEN Colorado...:ph34r:

Hey Krip...no worries, just chew your water 20 times before ya swallow!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Drink Coors.

If U235 is the Coors in-house trade secret code name for skunk piss, you're probably right.

Have you ever seen the water supply to the brewery in Golden? It ain't from that waterfall they show on the label!

Chuck

Drink Coors.

Yeah...I have a buddy that lives not far down the road. :ph34r:

Have you ever seen the water supply to the brewery in Golden? It ain't from that waterfall they show on the label!

Chuck

Drink Coors.

Chuck

Then, you know! :D

Chuck

Drink Coors.

Chuck

Yup, I live right next to the water supply. It is called Clear Creek, for a reason. It is clear, and yes, comes from snow melt. And yes, it is about as pure as mountain water gets. No cities or even good sized towns upstream. As good as water gets.

Have you ever gone to he Pukeweiser brewery at the confluence of the Missouri and Mississippi rivers? the water they use, and where St Louls get it's water is full of chunks and is brown with mud and 800 miles of upstream effluents. They don't advertise the source of thier water, because it hardly qualifies as water. More like soup.

Texas beers? Yeah, water comes from wells and livetock tanks. Drank Pearl, Lone Star, etc. Yuk. They should put that crap back in the ground where the water came from. Or maybe it came from that well known clear water source called the Rio Grande? Strained from the mud flat there? Like most Texas stuff. Big on bragging - I just can't figure out what there is to brag about.

Yup, I live right next to the water supply. It is called Clear Creek, for a reason. It is clear, and yes, comes from snow melt. And yes, it is about as pure as mountain water gets. No cities or even good sized towns upstream. As good as water gets.

Have you ever gone to he Pukeweiser brewery at the confluence of the Missouri and Mississippi rivers? the water they use, and where St Louls get it's water is full of chunks and is brown with mud and 800 miles of upstream effluents. They don't advertise the source of thier water, because it hardly qualifies as water. More like soup.

Texas beers? Yeah, water comes from wells and livetock tanks. Drank Pearl, Lone Star, etc. Yuk. They should put that crap back in the ground where the water came from. Or maybe it came from that well known clear water source called the Rio Grande? Strained from the mud flat there? Like most Texas stuff. Big on bragging - I just can't figure out what there is to brag about.

If, you have to ask, you'll never understand.

Chuck

Drink Coors.

Chuck

You guys still believe that Coors is only brewed in Golden? Ah!
Remster

Drink Coors.

Chuck

Nope! They have a brewery east of the Mississippi. I think, it's in Virginia.
I don't drink and never cared much for Coors, anyhow.

Chuck

Drink Coors.

The Bandit picked his up in Texas.

Chuck

Dilution is the solution to polution.

Thats what the sewage and water treatment plants are for.

Bragging is good for business:P Some people believe it.:S
One Jump Wonder

Chuck

It is in Elkton, VA to be specific. Rockingham County recently won an award of some sort for being one of the best tasting municipal water supplies, if you put any stock in such things.

Personally I think coors is like sex in a canoe...
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Chuck

It is in Elkton, VA to be specific. Rockingham County recently won an award of some sort for being one of the best tasting municipal water supplies, if you put any stock in such things.

Yup

....fuckin' near water.

Chuck

:D:D:D I haven't heard that in years! Thanks for pin-pointing the location. I was watching a program on Natl. Geographic and they were talking about these 'crystal clear' streams we have in the West and how much bacteria and animal shit is in those streams. Like W.C. fields said; "I don't drink water... fish fuck in it!" :D:D:D

Chuck

Chuck

:D:D:D I haven't heard that in years! Thanks for pin-pointing the location. I was watching a program on Natl. Geographic and they were talking about these 'crystal clear' streams we have in the West and how much bacteria and animal shit is in those streams. Like W.C. fields said; "I don't drink water... fish fuck in it!" :D:D:D

Chuck

I love that line.. although having friends youngins around the boats quite frequently when we go holibutt and samming killin, I tend to modify it to "Never drink the water... those fish do RUDE things in it" and let their wee little imaginations run with that;)

>Rockingham County recently won an award of some sort for being one of the best
>tasting municipal water supplies . . .

That actually doesn't mean too much when it comes to water to make beer with.

Mineral loads in the source water are critical to making good beer, and the type of beer is also critical. This actually drove the development of several kinds of beer. In England and Ireland, for example, the chalky soil lets a lot of minerals leach into the groundwater and you get very "hard" water - lots of calcium, bicarbonate, magnesium etc. This results in a more alkaline mash, which can lead to tannin extraction and other things that make beer taste lousy.

To counteract that brewers in Britain and Ireland would roast malts and add them; roasting malt makes it acidic, and it counteracts the alkalinity of the water. It also makes them darker. Which is why England and Ireland are known for their darker beers.

When Germans started brewing beer they discovered the opposite. Their water was very soft with little in the way of mineral loads. Even a little bit of roasted malt would make their mash too acidic, resulting in poor extraction and erratic yeast growth. So they stuck to lighter malts, and their region became known for their light pilsners and lagers.

Here in San Diego the water doesn't taste all that good since it comes from the Colorado River and flows through about 500 miles of concrete before it gets here; it picks up all the minerals in the concrete as it flows. But once you filter out the organics with a basic charcoal filter you have a medium amount of residual alkalinity, one that works with everything from ambers to stouts. To do very light beers RO filtered water works better, and to do very dark beer you can add minerals.

Chuck

Chuck

I love that line.. although having friends youngins around the boats quite frequently when we go holibutt and samming killin, I tend to modify it to "Never drink the water... those fish do RUDE things in it" and let their wee little imaginations run with that;)

It does lose a bit in the 'translation' to kids but kids do need to learn to use their imaginations.

Chuck

What about all the dead goats and sheep upstream, and giardia?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

:o

Those sheep were FINE when I left...walkin' funny maybe but definitely ALIVE! :o:):$

That water might look inviting but I'd boil it first!

Chuck