SansSuit

Featured Art - May Parachutist

OK ladies and gentlemen, I invite you to grab the latest issue of PARACHUTIST magazine and open to page 9.

I'll wait ............

If you can tear yourself away from my smiling face, look at the name of the artist, with no skydiving credentials. Pearl Dawson is my 83 year-old mother. This counted-cross stitch was my Christmas present from my parents (Dad got it framed).

Mom worked on this project for about 5 months. We figured that there are over 36,000 stitches in this picture. I think she said there are 29 different thread colors.

Without a doubt the coolest present I've ever received from them. Aside from being a phenomenal piece, it is terrific evidence of their support of my passion.

I'm thrilled that she got published for the first time in her life and thousands get a chance to see how talented she is.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

That's very nice!:)
I did notice that Mum didn't chose to spend countless hours on a pic of you in the buff.

Maybe she did. All those hours were spent covering up the sensitive spots. :P

Again, that's a very impressive piece of needlework!

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I seen it yesterday and knew it was you before reading the story.

The detail is awesome in the picture, the real article must be impressive as Hell.

Tell your Mom, "Great job."
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Wow! It's nice to "know" who the cross stitch belongs to! B| Back in the day, I did a lot of counted cross stitch, so I can really appreciate how much work went into that gift for you. She must kind of like you! ;) Did she have an application that turns a photo into a pattern?

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Brother, I don't know what that means in the "Cross-stitch" world, but I can tell you the quilting clubs around here would consider that a piece of art and an act of love to be savored for generations to come.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Thanks everyone.

The pattern was made by a company that takes photographs and turns them into patterns. If it is important to anyone, I can find out the name.

We started thinking about the path the image itself took to end up in the magazine. It is an old picture and this entire process took years.

First there was the original subject and the image thereof:
ME which was captured as an image on a
NEGATIVE FILM The film was processed which produced a
COLOR PRINT I scanned the print as a digital image to
JEFF'S COMPUTER My non-computer savy parents asked for a printed copy for a Christmas surprise so I sent it via
EMAIL to
WALGREEN'S COMPUTER in order for them to make a
COLOR PRINT The print was eventually forwarded to a company who scanned it into their
COMPANY COMPUTER from which it was transformed into a
PATTERN GRID IMAGE which was printed on a
PAPER PATTERN This pattern was followed in order to make the
CROSS STITCH ART I needed a picture of the art so I enlisted my wife to take a picture of it on
LAURA'S CAMERA from which she transferred it to
LAURA'S COMPUTER and then sent it to me via
EMAIL where it resides on
JEFF'S COMPUTER so that I could sent it via
EMAIL to
PARACHUTIST'S COMPUTER from which it was sent via
EMAIL to the
GRAPHICS COMPUTER where it was combined with other images to form a
LAYOUT IMAGE which was sent via
EMAIL to the printer where they made the
PRINTED IMAGE that is seen in the May 2012 issue of PARACHUTIST

Short version: Image to Negative to Color Print to Digital Image to Color Print to Digital Image to Paper Pattern to Art to Digital Image to Printed Image.

And my parents specifically asked for a picture with me in a jumpsuit. ;)

Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving