dpreguy

Silk canopy

I have a silk parachute canopy- no lines-with a US military date stamp of 1940 'something'. Big tears, and some missing, but most of the fabric is good. Very good. Anyone know if there is anyone who would create something manly for me to wear? I've never seen a silk garment, so obvioulsy, i have never worn one, but if someone could actually make something a guy would actually wear without looking like a fluffy tutti frutti, I would probably give an equal amount of fabric to them to use for whatever.I do own a tux, so a shirt is all I could thnk of. Would a silk shirt feel wierd to wear? When you feel this fabric, it feels almost like wierd water or something. Ideas? Or somewhere to send it to make something out of it?

I have a silk parachute canopy- no lines-with a US military date stamp of 1940 'something'. Big tears, and some missing, but most of the fabric is good. Very good. Anyone know if there is anyone who would create something manly for me to wear? I've never seen a silk garment, so obvioulsy, i have never worn one, but if someone could actually make something a guy would actually wear without looking like a fluffy tutti frutti, I would probably give an equal amount of fabric to them to use for whatever.I do own a tux, so a shirt is all I could thnk of. Would a silk shirt feel wierd to wear? When you feel this fabric, it feels almost like wierd water or something. Ideas? Or somewhere to send it to make something out of it?

Wind breaker jackets have been made from canopies for a long time now
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

silk shirts are also rather common, its nearly a given you've seen one without realizing it... I've 2 raw silk shirts I absolutely adore and they aren't 'frilly' at all, other than the cloth they are made exactly like any other long sleeve collared shirt.

The last four Hawaiian shirts I bought were silk.

But as for the canopy, have a windbreaker lined with fleece made. I have one made out of a C-9 with a radial seam running up the back. Of course I don't think I've been able to wear it since 1987.[:/]

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

How about a couple silk helmet liners like those Ultra-Kool fighter jocks have? B|

Or maybe sew some padded backing on some of it and make a one of a kind helmet bag...that would be cool too.

Canopy silk logbook cover would be nice!

Cut off some squares and have a 'return to drop-zone chit' silkscreened on them like the Army Air Corps of year gone by! ;)

And hey H.W., I have a F1-11 wind breaker in my canopy colors that I had made years ago if ya need a pattern.
It's a pull-over with a 1/2 zipper and elastic at the cuffs & waist that looks good and fits nicely under a jumpsuit, rolls up small for storage in my helmet bag.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

You actually buy Hawaiian shirts? And wear those awful things?

Your suggestion of a windbreaker is a good one, but this canopy is white, so....doesn't seem like a zippy windbreaker color.
Holykamoly! Who can make all of these things that are suggested? I am pretty good with a sewing machine, but cannot imagine how to make clothing. Guess there are shirt makers around, but haven't ever looked for one. Instead of a Polo silhouette or palm tree, I guess I could have the data stamp above the pocket? that might be cool

underwear seems kinda pervy

Judging how it feels, anything that needs a liner sounds good. this stuff is so frictionless, (OK-silky)it kinda feels like water or something. It's also heavier than I thought it would be.

PISA also used to give away hooded pull overs made out of white 'f-111' with Tempo canopies. Or maybe select customers. Anyway I have one, all white, and I guess I'm comfortable with myself to wear an all white silk feeling jacket.;)

A local skydiver used to make the jackets but no longer. A local tailor should be able to knock it out.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

If you decide to dye it (silk takes dye beautifully, BTW), dye it before you sew it into whatever it will be.

That way, the thread can be matched to the resulting color. If you dye it after the garment is created, the thread used to sew it won't take the dye in the same way as the silk.

This applies to all fabric that is to be dyed.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9