CarrieByTheSea

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Film)

Saw previews when I saw "45 Shots of Rum" and it is in my Netflix queue. Looks great and the reviews are good!

Btw, The Village Voice like it and they hate most films. :)

Also, before I forget, "45 Shots" is far and away the best movie I have seen this year.

Artsy-fartsy French, but I dig that. B|

"Think like a man of action; act like a man of thought." -Henri L.
Bergson

The book is great, I haven't seen the movie yet but I have it in my Netflix queue. David Fincher is directing the American film for this movie which I'm really excited about, currently in pre-production.

Interesting, The Villag Voice's advice was "see it before the inevitable American remake. Which makes me wonder if they think differently about David Fincher at the helm?
Bergson

Interesting, The Villag Voice's advice was "see it before the inevitable American remake. Which makes me wonder if they think differently about David Fincher at the helm?

I think it's a statement about "Hollywood" movies which generally have an upbeat tone at the end and attempt the appeal to a wider audience even if the overall tone of the film is a "downer." Further, once "Hollywood" gets hold of a story, there is absolutely no guarantee of any faithfulness to the original source material. If the Director feels something should be changed and will make his vision of the material "better", it's his decision to make. That's simply the way business is done and no reflection whatsoever on any individual.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I think it's a statement about "Hollywood" movies which generally have an upbeat tone at the end and attempt the appeal to a wider audience even if the overall tone of the film is a "downer." Further, once "Hollywood" gets hold of a story, there is absolutely no guarantee of any faithfulness to the original source material. If the Director Producer feels something should be changed and will make his vision of the material "better" more marketable, it's his decision to make.

:)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

The book is great, I haven't seen the movie yet but I have it in my Netflix queue. David Fincher is directing the American film for this movie which I'm really excited about, currently in pre-production.

I tried listening to the audio book about a month ago, couldnt get into it. When I have time again, Im going to try actually reading it. :)

Read all 3 three books released. Watched The Girl Who Played with Fire... a few deviations from the book, but overall a very good movie.

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

Available on Netflix streaming.

I've been meaning to watch it. Maybe tonight's the night.

Once I read this, I went straight to Netflix and watched. I don't usually like films with subtitles, but this was EXCELLENT! So true to the book, and very well done! The only thing they really couldn't include for the sake of time was more of Lisbeth's history, how she came to be a ward of the state into adulthood, and her relationship with her previous guardian. Those things become important in Book 2, so perhaps they're addressed in the second movie?

I wouldn't watch an American version, if one is made, after watching this one.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

David Fincher is amazing, but so much of this is cultural. It's just so dark, layered, and brutal. While long, it built speed like a freight train!

I think they handled her history just right. What happened to her can't be tied up like a bow. I am on the books before grad school starts again! :)

Bergson

Haven't seen it yet, but I will based on the reviews and people's recommendations. I did start to read the book, but as with The Da Vinci Code, I couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

I don't share the knee jerk reaction of a lot of critics when it comes to Hollywood remakes. Sure, many of them have been bad - but the makers are always going to be up against it, especially if the original is well known and liked. Sometimes a film just works better for you if it's within your cultural frame of reference. Take 'The Ring' - I thought the original was ok, but probably didn't affect me in the way it did Japanese audiences. I actually found the Gore Verbinski version a lot scarier and more enjoyable (I know, sacrilege!;))

The only thing they really couldn't include for the sake of time was more of Lisbeth's history, how she came to be a ward of the state into adulthood, and her relationship with her previous guardian. Those things become important in Book 2, so perhaps they're addressed in the second movie?

I hope so, though I have a pretty good idea of what Lisbeth did and why based on the few clues given in the film version. Do not know much about her relationship with her previous guardian, though, other than Lisbeth was upset to learn of his condition, in addition to the news she was assigned a new guardian.

At this point, having not read the books, I would rather not know and hope the blanks will be revealed in the second film.
"Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be." ~ Temple Grandin

I tried listening to the audio book about a month ago, couldnt get into it. When I have time again, Im going to try actually reading it. :)

I found the first 70 pages or so to be hard going, but then it became a "can't put it down" story.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I found the first 70 pages or so to be hard going, but then it became a "can't put it down" story.

Thats what Ive heard... But with my only down time being spent in my car lately (and a little bit on here :$), I didnt want to waste it. The book on cd is a solid 12 hours [:/].... Once I have time, I'll read it :)

Ash, the second book takes even longer to get going... the third however is BAM and non stop throughout!

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

Thats what Ive heard... But with my only down time being spent in my car lately (and a little bit on here :$), I didnt want to waste it. The book on cd is a solid 12 hours [:/].... Once I have time, I'll read it :)

I love books on CD for long road trips. Perhaps if the book takes a little while to get into, so will the CD. :)
Curious: Where do you buy your books on CD and what do you do with them when you are done?
"Nature is cruel, but we don't have to be." ~ Temple Grandin

The book is much, much MUCH better than the movie (like always). I read the book and then watched the movie all in a matter of a few weeks and the movie lacks some serious character development for Lisbeth, not to mention it eliminates some of the most important sections of the book. The movie also was completely devoid of the love affair between Mikael and Erika.

When I finished watching the movie, I was disappointed and actually disliked the way Lisbeth's character was portrayed in the movie.

Stick to the book. Please.

I love books on CD for long road trips. Perhaps if the book takes a little while to get into, so will the CD. :)
Curious: Where do you buy your books on CD and what do you do with them when you are done?

Yeah thats what I figure will be the case as well, but I cant figure out whats going on later in the book because I zoned out in the beginning!!

I actually check them out from my library. Occasionally, I will check my local thrift shop (when I was working there, they let me take them home to make sure they worked), and Ive bought one or two that I knew I'd listen to again on iTunes. But mostly I check them out from the library :)

(time for a bump)

My wife and I saw the movie last night. It was marketable better than the Swedish version, well worth the time. There were a couple of changes, but that's to be expected.

Rooney IMO was excellent as Lisbeth, not "to pretty" or whatever negative expectations I've heard about her in the roll. Daniel Craig and Robin Wright were good for their respective rolls as well.

One thing that I did find annoying, was that Craig hangs his classes when not in use from one ear below his chin. Never in my life have I seen anyone do that, but maybe it's a "Swedish thing?"

I've read the books, and seen the Swedish movies, so I'm curious what those who've never been exposed to the stories will like it. Like the book, the first hour or so is slow to be the story going. I like the 2nd and 3rd books better than the first, they're actually about "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo."
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ