airdvr

RIP Donald 'Duck" Dunn

The only reason I remember that name is because he was in the Blues Brothers movie.

Trying to remember what he played... Sax or bass?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The only reason I remember that name is because he was in the Blues Brothers movie.

Bass. The sax player was Blue Lou Marini.

A lot of people don't realize that the band behind the Blues Brothers was made up of some of the best session players in the business.
Donald "Duck" Dunn, Matt "Guitar" Murphy, Steve "The Colonel" Cropper, Eddie "Too Big" Hayes, Tom "Bones" Malone, Alan "Mr Fabulous" Rubin and Murphy Dunne were the band in the movie, but there were lots of top shelf musicians who played with them. Even Paul Schaffer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blues_Brothers
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

He played bass. You can't hear it, but others can hear his bass lines in most of the old Booker T and the MGs songs. He also played a lot for Albert King, and even played for Tom Petty and Eric Clapton and the like.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/13/showbiz/obit-duck-dunn/index.html?hpt=hp_bn9

I'm barely old enough to remember the original version, but his resurgence after "Blues Brothers" was fun.

He was also in the MG's of Booker "T" and the MGs, along with Steve Cropper.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Bass. The sax player was Blue Lou Marini.

A lot of people don't realize that the band behind the Blues Brothers was made up of some of the best session players in the business.
Donald "Duck" Dunn, Matt "Guitar" Murphy, Steve "The Colonel" Cropper, Eddie "Too Big" Hayes, Tom "Bones" Malone, Alan "Mr Fabulous" Rubin and Murphy Dunne were the band in the movie, but there were lots of top shelf musicians who played with them. Even Paul Schaffer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blues_Brothers

This.

The first time I watched The Blues Brothers was in high school. By then I was playing lead trumpet for the high school jazz band and I spent the movie going "holy crap that's..."

All of those guys have (had) incredible careers.

Duck Duck Dunn was an incredible bass player, his walking swing blues bass playing is incredible.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yeah, I didn't know any of the players in the Blues Brothers band, but I did recognize others like Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, John Lee Hooker(?), etc. Go figure... I wasn't a blues or jazz fan.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

From Wikipedia.....Dunn played himself in the 1980 feature (Blues Brothers), where he famously uttered the line, "We had a band powerful enough to turn goat piss into gasoline!"

Now that's a quote to be remembered for!!!

He played on so many awesome records. Sorry to see he is gone.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey