airdvr

What to do?

Here's the latest deal with my ex. Daughter is now 16 and has passed her driver's exam and is wanting a car. We both chipped in for my son's first car so the die has been cast.

Daughter lives with her mom and of late hasn't been spending much time at our place...3 days in the last 30.

Ex wants me to put the car in my name this time. I'm not comfortable with a car being driven in my name and I only control what's happeneing with it 3 days out of the month.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Not really sure. Her husband drives a Vette and I think the complaint is it raises the rate on all of the cars...as it would mine. I'm also thinking they've been having a tough time of it lately and maybe they don't have a policy to add her to. As an aside the deal with the daughter is she pays the insurance and maintenance.

Destinations by Roxanne

If you put it in your name, you have the added benefit of being able to use ownership of the car to your advantage. Being 16 and mobile, she'll start pushing the limits. Sit her down, tell her the rules (good grades, not talking back to mom, obeying curfew, getting a job to pay for gas and insurance, no tickets allowed or driving passengers, etc.) and let her know the car will sit in YOUR driveway for a specified period of time if she breaks the rules. If she really starts breaking the rules, tell her you'll just sell the car.

Oh, and add to the list that she has to visit Dad more often. ;)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Not really sure. Her husband drives a Vette and I think the complaint is it raises the rate on all of the cars...as it would mine. I'm also thinking they've been having a tough time of it lately and maybe they don't have a policy to add her to. As an aside the deal with the daughter is she pays the insurance and maintenance.

You better talk with your own auto insurance agent about this. In many states, if car were to be in your name only, esp. given that you (obviously) don't live in ex-wife's household, the ex-wife's ins co might not agree to insure the car under ex-wife's policy. Also, unless daughter is "living away at college" (I presume she's not, being age 16), your own insurance co might not agree to insure the car if it's not principally "garaged" at your residence and principally driven by a member of your household. 3 days per month might not be enough to qualify as being part of your household. And best not fib to the ins co about any of these factors, either; not only might that invalidate the ins policy if the truth comes out, but it could even constitute criminal insurance fraud.

However it plays out, under no circumstances should you agree to have the car in your name unless you can be 100% sure, 100% of the time, that the car has valid, adequate and CURRENT insurance coverage - or else a bad accident that car is in could (especially since you're not married) potentially wipe YOU out financially with an uninsured liability.

Get off the computer and call your agent.

My concern is being wiped out by an accident ,not to mention my concern for my duaghter. An old freind of Rox's wife passed out behind the wheel last year on a 2 lane. Not only was she killed, but the 2 passengers in the car she hit, and the guy on the bike behind that.

Doug just retired. House was paid for etc... He is being cleaned out because no insurance policy would be enough in this situation.

Destinations by Roxanne

My concern is being wiped out by an accident ,not to mention my concern for my duaghter. An old freind of Rox's wife passed out behind the wheel last year on a 2 lane. Not only was she killed, but the 2 passengers in the car she hit, and the guy on the bike behind that.

Doug just retired. House was paid for etc... He is being cleaned out because no insurance policy would be enough in this situation.

Talk to your ins agent about that, too. Many insurance companies will offer extra "umbrella coverage" of say, up to $1 million in liability coverage, for just a few more bucks over the regular premium. If available, the premium is often quite affordable.

P.S. - Doug should speak to a bankruptcy attorney about whether he can use bankruptcy protect his assets from being wiped out as you describe. Generically speaking, it sounds like a classic case of where the bankruptcy laws might help someone like Doug; but he really needs to speak w/an attorney about that ASAP, before he forks over another dime to creditors.

16...not worried about the relationship with you...you have no control...ex has problems...ex hubby can drive a vette...you aren't comfortable...

Were there any points that indicated you SHOULD do this? Seems pretty plain to me that you should not.

Andy is right. Call the insurance. Explain it fully. This is probably a no-brainer from more than one perspective.

The wife wanted custody. She got it. Two edged sword.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Not necessarily. As long as she wasn't under the influence at the time that sort of thing would be covered by a personal umbrella policy. $5 - $10M is easy to come by and much more is possible.

With caps on non-economic damages and economic damage (loss of wages) adjusted for things like taxes and the time value of money one should be able to buy enough coverage for several wrongful deaths.

My $1M policy (which obviously isn't enough now that I've thought about it) runs about $200/year. A cursory web search suggests that increasing that to $2M would add another $75 and each additional $1M would be $50.

I'm not comfortable with a car being driven in my name and I only control what's happeneing with it 3 days out of the month

I think that's your answer right there, mostly because I don't think your insurance company will like the idea either. Maybe start by giving them a call and seeing if they will even quote you for a 16 year old who doesn't live with you driving a car that's not based at your home. They might just tell you 'no', and then there's nothing you can do about it.

It's a no brainer that if your name is on the title, you need to hold the insurance policy to make sure that A) it's kept valid at all times, and B) that the limits of the coverage match your liability. So if you can't get insurance, you can't title the car.

If they say 'yes' and give you a reasonable quote, your guess is as good as mine. I don't know if this is an option, but can you ask your ex why she wants it structured this way?

I don't think that adding your daughter and another car to the policy would change the rates for the other cars. If anything, it might lower them based on some sort of 'volume discount'. Each car will have specific drivers listed, and your daugher should only be listed on the one car. If they only list her on that car, and don't even include the other drivers in the household, the remainder of the policy should remain unchanged.

16...not worried about the relationship with you...you have no control...ex has problems...ex hubby can drive a vette...you aren't comfortable...

Were there any points that indicated you SHOULD do this? Seems pretty plain to me that you should not.

Andy is right. Call the insurance. Explain it fully. This is probably a no-brainer from more than one perspective.

^^

I never understand feelings like this. Even after a divorce, parents still need to work as a team while raising their children. So many people get caught up in being pissed at their ex and forget about thinking about the best interest of the child. [:/]
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon