guineapiggie101

drive up the night before, or do an all night drive

I have to be in San Francisco on Sat by 11 AM. In the interest of saving money, I am thinking of driving up late Friday night (all night) and getting there in the early hours of the morning. It will be a 10 hr drive for me.

I love doing long road trips, but I wonder if I am pushing it by driving all night.

I will be out at a party on Friday night already so I will be awake.

I plan to stay in the San Francisco area for a few days for sightseeing and hanging out with some friends that I rarely see.

If you guys were me, would you drive up Friday night (halfway) and get a motel room, and then finish up the drive early on Sat? Or would you push it and do an all-night driving session on Friday night?

I have to be in San Francisco on Sat by 11 AM. In the interest of saving money, I am thinking of driving up late Friday night (all night) and getting there in the early hours of the morning. It will be a 10 hr drive for me.

I love doing long road trips, but I wonder if I am pushing it by driving all night.

I plan to stay in the San Francisco area for a few days for sightseeing and hanging out with some friends that I rarely see.

If you guys were me, would you drive up Friday night (halfway) and get a motel room, and then finish up the drive early on Sat? Or would you push it and do an all-night driving session on Friday night?

Would not the cost of fuel be as must as a cheap flight?
If i was saving money I'd look at a cheap flight, or Bus and stay at a backpackers. (the green tortoise) in North beach is good).
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I wouldn't push it. Go 1/4 to 1/2 the way and get a hotel early. If you start feeling sleepy at the wheel, you're behind the power curve already.

I've driven over night dozens of times and it was never a good idea... sometimes I even scared myself doing it.

I'd be tempted to say blow the party off Friday and use those few hours as a head start. Once you get past your normal bed time, you're treading into dangerous waters.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I would make half the drive Friday night and finish it Saturday morning. That way you're not completely exhausted when you get there Saturday morning.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Planning on doing a bit of tunnel at iFly SF during the few days I am out there. My hotel is very close to the tunnel (found that out recently).

Still on the fencepost about how to drive up there. Part of me wants to save on one night of hotel by doing all night driving, but I don't have the same stamina as I did 10 years ago (when I used to do late night drives from IL to WI.)

Will be attending a guinea pig related event on Sat, hanging out with my guinea pig buddies on Sat night, and sightseeing the rest of the days I am there.

I like driving because I can stop at places on my way back.

Well, if you're driving alone at night, you also need to consider your safety if your car happens to break down. I always plan for the worst and hope for the best...I say don't push it.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

This is why I always buy vehicles I can sleep in, vans, station wagons or trucks with a canopy on the box.
I've done some massive road trips and it's great being able to sleep anywhere you need to.

Maybe instead of trying to drive all night, get a couple hrs of sleep after the party and get on the road early, if you hit the road at 4 am after a few hours sleep, that will put you there midday. If you drive all night and get there in the morning you still going to lose a day when you get there and go to,sleep.

Edit: missed the part where you have to be there at 11am
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

Well, if you're driving alone at night, you also need to consider your safety if your car happens to break down. I always plan for the worst and hope for the best...I say don't push it.

That's true. Don't need car problems late at night (although my car is only a year old).

Maybe it is better to spend a night halfway then drive up the rest of the way early in the morning.

That's true. Don't need car problems late at night (although my car is only a year old).

Even though your car isn't that old, you never know what you're going to encounter along the way. For example, coming home from work one day I ran over some kind of loose construction spike that was in the road. It punctured my tire and I could only make it about 2 more miles down the road. I'd hate for something like that happen to you in a desolate part of the highway at 2 am in the morning. You never know what kind of person is going to knock on your window and offer to "help". [:/]
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Even though your car isn't that old, you never know what you're going to encounter along the way. For example, coming home from work one day I ran over some kind of loose construction spike that was in the road. It punctured my tire and I could only make it about 2 more miles down the road. I'd hate for something like that happen to you in a desolate part of the highway at 2 am in the morning. You never know what kind of person is going to knock on your window and offer to "help".

That's why it's a good idea to invest, if you can, in roadside service plan. Many insurance companies sell them (not recommending any specific one). Another good idea is to learn to change a tire yourself. I've taught all 5 of my sons, and one of my daughters to change tires, check oil, transmission fluid, and even where to add the windshield washer fluid.

That said, I always stop to offer "help", I'm a retired cop, and even if the person is leery of my offer of assistance, I know that they are safe with me, I can't be sure of the next person who might stop.

All of that being said, skip the Friday night party, get some sleep, and then drive thru the night if you want.
I live with fear and terror, but sometimes I leave her and go skydiving.

You are going to be up Friday, attend a party Friday evening, then make a 10hr overnight drive, then expect to enjoy yourself of Saturday?

I know for me those things just don't add up. I would get a hotel early enough to get some good rest then finish the trip.

That's why it's a good idea to invest, if you can, in roadside service plan. Many insurance companies sell them (not recommending any specific one). Another good idea is to learn to change a tire yourself

I have AAA, but sometimes it's taken an hour to get to me. I also know how to change a tire, but I wouldn't want to do it in the middle of the night, all alone on the highway. Maybe I'm just more cautious because I'm a girl.