SansSuit

Audio wiring query

I live in my den. Whenever I'm not jumping or working I'm here at my desk. In this den I have 3 audio devices. I am looking to merge all 3 outputs into a single, controlable, output running to a good set of powered speakers. (mixer board?) I need to do this on the cheap.

I have:
An iPad
A computer
A Television

All 3 have 3.5 mm stereo jacks for outputs. The powered speakers have a 3.5 mm plug. I looked on line but I must not be asking the right questions because I'm not finding what I want. Most are set up for 1/4" jacks. I find it difficult to believe that this thingy doesn't exist.

I do have modest soldering ability. If this thing could be made simply enough, I would be interested.

Thanks for any help.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

Do you want them all on at the same time? Otherwise radio shack - selector switch - and some basic wiring will solve the problem.

If you want a mixer that lets you hear them all at once, then your options are the ones that you have found with a 1/4 converter.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Mix all the inputs with a 1K resistor to ground plus a 1K resistor to a common output. Connect the common output to the input of your speakers. Your volume will have to be about 3x what it normally is to get the same output.

Alternatively use an op amp (TL082 should work) at the common node to give you a 3x amplification (or any amplification you like.) For this you'll need a power supply of course. Parts should cost around $10 at Radio Shack.

Mix all the inputs with a 1K resistor to ground plus a 1K resistor to a common output. Connect the common output to the input of your speakers. Your volume will have to be about 3x what it normally is to get the same output.

Alternatively use an op amp (TL082 should work) at the common node to give you a 3x amplification (or any amplification you like.) For this you'll need a power supply of course. Parts should cost around $10 at Radio Shack.

Not quite "simply" enough. :)
Peace,
-Dawson.

Not quite "simply" enough. :)

It's really not that difficult, probably a guy at the dz that could put one together for a couple beers. :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

This is what I'm looking at. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SplitMix4/

However it states, "Designed primarily as a line-level mixer for medium input/output impedances..."

I don't know impedance from impotence. Would this, in conjunction with the aforementioned adapters work for my set up?
Peace,
-Dawson.

I don't know impedance from impotence

Well, the first is when she says "No, I can't". The second is when you say "No, I can't". :P

:D:D:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

This is what I'm looking at. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SplitMix4/

However it states, "Designed primarily as a line-level mixer for medium input/output impedances..."

I don't know impedance from impotence. Would this, in conjunction with the aforementioned adapters work for my set up?

A pre-amp of some sort would be ideal, but that mixer should work, in conjunction with the 1/4 inch headphone adapters. All you need is something that can accept at least three inputs and send the signal out through a single channel.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!