airtwardo

~lowering jpeg res - any Free software?

I have a couple hundred pics I need to email today but each one a 3 to 4 megs...need to knock 'em down to more email friendly size.

Anyone have any free software ideas they can recommend?

I have an old 'livpix' basic program at home I would use if I were there. No real editing software in the new laptop...anybody - anybody - Bueller?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

For a smaller job I'd suggest something like the GIMP, which will run on Windows, Linux or OSX.

But for a couple hundred, you want a batch job and for a batch job you need a command line program! And the only command line program I've ever known for that sort of thing is ImageMagick (http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php). Sounds like you want its "Transform" functionality.

In Linux (Or Windows with Cygwin and a bash prompt) you could probably just drop all your images in one directory and do something like this at the command prompt:

for i in *.jpg ; do resize $i -resize 50% smaller_$i.jpg; done

If you do the base install for Cygwin, I'm pretty sure you can select imagemagick as one of the optional programs you can install. Maybe the GIMP, too...
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I used the link Muff provided, downloaded the program, opened the folder and 3 mins later they were all re-sized...B|

Remi's program suggestion does even more, I downloaded that too but didn't have time to play with it yet.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

But for a couple hundred, you want a batch job and for a batch job you need a command line program!

No, there is a Windows (GUI) freeware programme available which also provides the opportunity of batch jobs for resizing, sharpening, softening, brightening, rotation etc pp with only a few clicks B| It's Photofiltre, I have been using it for years no need for 'shop or anything else ;) Also has a number of free add-ons/plug-ins.
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks