melushell

Broken Pin ?

Well I have no clue if this happened before
or how normal it is but .........
this is the story

We were packing a new Mirage Rig that just came for my friend
We put the pilot chute for the reserve
( which is darn strong ), and when we wanted to pull the temporary pin ....... BUM we couldn't pull it off

..........the photos say more what happend

I was thinking maybe it happened because we had to press really hard on the pilot chute to stay closed

But the pin is smaller than the ring on the base of the pilot chute , and we couldn't put oposite forces on it(also considering the metal plate on the top of the chute wich stoped the pin from bending by pressing the plate )

I am really courios if this happened before to some more experienced packers
anyway i never imagined that this temporary pin will bend so darn easy, and is so flexible.

If the temp pin was left in, and another closing flap was tightened down with a positive tension device on top of the temp pin, yeah it will bend like that.

is exactly what i try to explain
when this happened we were closing the pilot chute
we were presing on the metal plate of the pilot chute, how can a plate bigger than the pin ,bends it like this ?
when the tension force of the plate forces pin not to bend? (or puts the force equal to all the suface of the pin )

If the temp pin was left in, and another closing flap was tightened down with a positive tension device on top of the temp pin, yeah it will bend like that.

I use a knee plate and positive tension device and don't tear up my temp pins. Or do you mean the temp pin ended up under a flap, bending it and making removal difficult?

Derek

The temp pin is larger than the base of the PC.

actually in this case is equal
:$

but anyway , the place were the bent is was exactly in the middle of the pilot chute

as the bent looks we are thinking the only oxplanation is becasue of the pulling force

but again...............are those pins so darn soft???????

actually in this case is equal

With the temp pin in the closing loop, the pin extends out past the edge of the base of the PC. If the pin is the same length as the base of the PC and the PC is centered over the closing loop, 1/2 of the temp pin minus however much of the pin is through the loop will be sticking out from under the edge of the PC.

Someone brought a good point to my attention, could the temp pin have been bent while being put into the closing loop?

Derek

I use a knee plate and positive tension device and don't tear up my temp pins. Or do you mean the temp pin ended up under a flap, bending it and making removal difficult?

Yes, i was asking him if thats what he did to bend the pin.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Yes, I have bent a couple of temp pins over the years.
The bending occurred when I knelt on the half-closed rig.
My 180 pounds is enough to bend mere stainless steel.

Next time, put a little pressure on the rig, remove the temp pin, then put all your weight on the rig.