oldwomanc6

Sandy

I thought I would start a thread so we can all talk about how, or if, or not, Sandy is affecting us.

The Federal govt. and Calvert County schools are already closed.

FREE DAY! (I hope)

Things are fairly battened down, so we are sitting here drinking wine. The kittens are kind of wound up from increasing wind, and they are entertaining us. :)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

My better 1/2 flew into Newark from Stockholm this afternoon.

The airport was a zoo & flights overbooked by 70%, fortunately she hitched a ride home on an empty 777 they were ferrying out away from the storm.

I wUz gettin' worried! :)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I am smack dab in the middle of the predicted landfall in New Jersey (Atlantic City area). Prepared for the worst, hoping for the best. I am about 25 miles inland from Atlantic City. It's been raining lightly since this afternoon and the winds are picking up as the evening progresses.

http://climate.rutgers.edu/njwxnet/sandy/

I'm concerned about someone who has chosen to stay at home on a barrier island despite an evacuation order. Whatever. Don't get me started...

Plus, I'm worried about my Dad's house in Ocean City that's directly on the bay. Ugh...

I really pray we don't lose electricity. I can deal with almost everything else, no problem, but I don't have a generator. I guess I'd only use it to power the TV and computers anyway.

I took 5 movies out at Redbox this morning and now there's a travel ban. Yeah, worried about getting them back on time. I'm a dork.
Always be kinder than you feel.

Only saw this thread now, but I have been tracking Sandy since she was a mere wave in Caribbean and have been following intently since.

Sandy is a pretty awesome and unique storm, it underwent RI (Rapid intensification) just prior to Cuban landfall but naturally land interaction lead to weakening and dry air started to get pulled into the inner core of the storm, which eroded the central convection and kept it from strengthening too much.

Sandy then began to take on some slight subtropical characteristics, while actually maintaining her warm core, keeping her a tropical cyclone. Dry air and vertical shear continued to keep her moderate in wind speeds, at around 65kt for most of the time. But her central pressure continued to drop, now for small systems and most systems in general, lower pressure means stronger winds. But as with Sandy, as happened with Irene - instead of the lower pressure translating into an increased tight pressure gradient and in turn, strong winds... Sandy and Irene both spread out their lower pressure instead, what this does is it allows the storm to keep it's wind speed, but instead spreads it out over a large distance in the wind radii.

Sandy's ability to maintain decent wind speeds over such a large area is also due to some baroclonic influence. The pressure gradient from the ambient pressure around her can cause the wind speeds to increase even if her physical appearance deteriorates.

The main problem for towns and cities with these storms is that the large wind radii allows for a lot more energy being transferred to the waters below and in turn creates larger storm surge. The reason Katrina was so bad was because it was a large wind field and a strong storm prior to landfall, and even though it weakened as it approached the GOM coast, the surge that it created as a stronger storm remains with it.

Sandy's primary threat is likely to be surge, surge and rainfall. Areas of NY are likely to see up to or more than 10 feet or surge, that's more than double what Irene gave. In fact 3.5ft is already being reported in Battery Park. It doesn't help matters that it is a full moon, and tides are going to be higher already than normal.

Sandy is a type of hybrid system though being mixed with a trough, what this does is it enhances outflow of the storm for one, which can strengthen it. It basically ventilates it. Which is why the storm may gain an extra few mph over the next 6-12 hours.

I know of beach damage along the VA coast already, and flooding and a bit of surge already occurring in parts of New York. The rain totals are going to be quite large, but for places like NY harbour where they can only take 5 ft of ocean water height increases before it will lap over the harbour walls - the 10 ft of surge could end up shutting down subway systems.

Best of luck to you, you are in probably what one could call the 'bulls eye' and in all honesty, I expect power losses are going to exist largely throughout the NE over the next few days.

Though you mention you're 25 miles inland, meaning that your biggest threat will be rain water, which while potentially bad - is better than being along the beach in the surge zone. Houses on the beach do pose risk of heavy flood damage should they be in a position of surge potential. But there is nothing one can really do about those situations apart from hope for the best and remove any easily removable valuables prior.

Best of luck to you, you are in probably what one could call the 'bulls eye' and in all honesty, I expect power losses are going to exist largely throughout the NE over the next few days.

Though you mention you're 25 miles inland, meaning that your biggest threat will be rain water, which while potentially bad - is better than being along the beach in the surge zone. Houses on the beach do pose risk of heavy flood damage should they be in a position of surge potential. But there is nothing one can really do about those situations apart from hope for the best and remove any easily removable valuables prior.

Thanks so much. It is definitely going to be a challenge the next few days. You are right about the intensification. Woke up to the news it did just that overnight.

Someone very special to me decided to stay on a barrier island where they live. Pretty much the northern most point of the island, where the bay and ocean are certainly going to shake hands if the storm surge predictions are correct, as I suspect they are. I've been promised some updates and pics throughout the day. Hope he's able to send them (I'll share them if I can) and glad he's a strong swimmer. Told him I should've brought over all my scuba gear and tanks for him the other night when I was there because he's gonna need them and another BCD for the dog too.... Grrrr....

This guy http://www.facebook.com/TheOfficialDanSkeldonPage?ref=stream is a freakin' savior and hero around here. His predictions are always accurate and he's working his ass off for us locals. http://www.nbc40.net/weather.php If you're bored check him out.

Guess I should get up and fire up the Keurig before we lose power. Last time we lost power for an extended period of time I took the Keurig machine out to me car and plugged it into the A/C adapter and it wouldn't work. I had to go through coffee withdrawal for 2 days and it sucked. I guess I'll make a bunch of cups and warm them up over the grill or sterno if I have to this time!!

Thanks again for the storm information you posted. It was great!!

If you have a lot of food in your freezer, pack it with bags of ice from the store (if there's any left!) to help keep it cold in there.

Also, if you're worried about roof leakage and valuables getting ruined, put what you in inside your dryer as an extra layer of protection. Every time there's a storm here in FL, that's where my rig goes! I do also put important documents there too.

Good luck! Keep us posted if you are able to stay online.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Not a lot of food in my freezer or fridge but I still bought 4 bags of ice and I have the ice maker going nonstop and I'm dumping that in a cooler in my garage. Gotta be able to keep the whopping 4 bottles of Red Stripe in the house cold.

Thanks for the advice about utilizing the dryer. I would've never thought of that! Unfortunately, a couple of weeks ago I noticed water in the drum when I hadn't used it so until I have it looked at I am going to use that idea in the future.

I did discover a leak at the top of a window in my living room but it has been there a while from what I can tell. The front of my house is all brick so I'm sure it was the quality workmanship of the builder shining though (neighbors have had same issue but they're vinyl sided). No biggie in the grand scheme of things.

The winds are picking up here and I was excited to learn that the weather station for my town on this website http://climate.rutgers.edu/njwxnet/sandy/ is literally on the other side of my backyard fence across a blueberry farm field.

Sophia Lucia and I are just chilling, surfing the Internet and looking at all of the pics posted from areas where we have a loved one/property/etc.

I really gotta get some videos returned to Redbox. :D

Category 1 - meh
Down here on the Gulf Coast we have to walk ten miles thru a cat 1 just to buy beer.
One little tip. If you see water running over a road, don't drive thru it. Playing that game just makes life hard for rescue workers.
Good luck and y'all stay safe.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

If you have a lot of food in your freezer, pack it with bags of ice from the store (if there's any left!) to help keep it cold in there.

When the power goes out, throw extra blankets or sleeping bags over the freezer. The extra insulation will buy you more time. :)
Same trick works when camping, throw a spare sleeping bag or two over the cooler. Your stuff will stay icy cold days longer. :)

Oh, good idea!

I always tell people to fill their washing machines and tubs with water too. They think they have bought enough for drinking but it's not for drinking. I suggest it so you can flush your toilets if you have to go without power for many days. People don't think of that!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I filled the tub and the jacuzzi with water yesterday.

The attached pic was taken around noon and it is much, much worse now. This one was grabbed from someone on Facebook.

The heavy rains and winds are moving in over the next few hours, can't wait. :S The winds and rain have picked up inland and there's lots of reports of power outages.

Oh, and of course my cell phone decides to stop holding a charge today. YAY! >:(

Wouldn't happen to have a portable radio with a few sets of batteries (or one you can handcrank) would ya?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Wouldn't happen to have a portable radio with a few sets of batteries (or one you can handcrank) would ya?

I sure do! And a battery operated lantern. ;)

Awesome!

Keep an ear out and your head down!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I sure do! And a battery operated lantern. ;)

Awesome!

Keep an ear out and your head down!

LOL... like I haven't heard THAT before!! :P

Truthfully, I wish I was on the island riding it out with someone and their dog. Call me crazy. :S

Well, the southern tail of the cold front that's on a collision course with Sandy passed over me yesterday. Boy it got really cold at the fall festival yesterday evening. My hands were going numb and white. :S

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban