BigMark

Sending money to another country

Bought a rig from Canada and got hit with $150 in currency conversions fees from paypal on a $2500 item, also got hit with $170 in brockerage fees and import taxes from UPS.

Whats the best way to send money to to other countries? I know if you can get the sender to put gift that will save you some dough...

Looking to maybe buy from Denmark.

TIA,

Mark

Bought a rig from Canada and got hit with $150 in currency conversions fees from paypal on a $2500 item, also got hit with $170 in brockerage fees and import taxes from UPS.

I usually send and receive international shipments via air mail (ex - US Postal Service outbound, UK Royal Mail inbound) where brokerage fees aren't charged and inbound tariffs usually aren't applied.

Outbound shipping itself is usually much less than UPS or Fedex too especially where you're shipping a bulky item because most options avoid dimensional weight (you ship a bulky 5 pound item via FedEx and you might pay for 20 pounds of weight).

Maybe look into using your credit card to see if they don't have the currency conversion fees?
In every man's life he will be allotted one good woman and one good dog. That's all you get, so appreciate them while the time you have with them lasts.

- RiggerLee

If you're transferring money to Europe, then do a normal wire transfer, you know from a bank account to another. I've understood Americans are paranoid about this for some reason but thats how I've bought and paid for most of the stuff I buy in Europe. Or is it even possible for Americans to do this? Since it sounds so complicated every time you're trying to move money around.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Make the seller accept payment in USD. Paypal, banks, credit cards, it doesn't matter. All money changers charge about 2 to 3 %. If you buy in your own currency then the seller can either pay the fee himself or use the USD in his paypal account for another purchase.

Being in Canada that's what I do for US customers. It's fairly easy for me to spend USD and I'd have to pay the fee both ways otherwise.

UPS will hammer you with broker fees all the time. I always use the post office for international shipments for just this reason.

Ken
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.