crazydiver

Dolphin for CReW

I have a dolphin that I use for CReW. Works fine for now. I was wondering if it violated the TSO to put a little flap on the bottom reserve flap to kind of cover the bottom edge of the pop top. I want this so that when I come down someone's lines to plane up, I dont run the risk of their canopy or lines behind me being able to snag on the pop top. See what I am saying? It would only have to bee like two inches tall and three or four inches wide and just sewn to the container on the bottom edge of the flap. Is this legal for a rigger to do? I know it is if the pilot chute is under all the flaps, but if the pop top is exposed...any thoughts. Thanks.

Travis

Cheers,
Travis

A couple thoughts:

First, your rigger can get a written okay from Mike Furry, the Dolphin manufacturer, which will allow him to close the flaps in Javelin sequence. Then lines will snag on the reserve flap instead of the pop-top.

Second, packed correctly, the pop-top is snugged down into the pack job. The pilot chute hat should touch reserve container flaps all the way around except for a little bit under the reserve pin flap. If you can see F-111 pilot chute material, the closing loop is too loose.

You'll know your Dolphin is safe for CReW if you can slide a taut length of line up, down, and sideways across the reserve container without it catching on pop-top or reserve pin flaps.

Finally, altering your reserve container in a way that might retard pilot chute launch is not something a rigger can do, except with manufacturer or FAA approval.

Mark

Finally, altering your reserve container in a way that might retard pilot chute launch is not something a rigger can do, except with manufacturer or FAA approval.

Mark

I thought a Master Rigger could do this? I've seen this mod on all types of rigs - Dolphins, older Javelins, older Vectors, Reflexes, ...

I would want it actually not as much for the pop-top but mainly to avoid catching the reserve pin. The Dolphins generally only have a Velcro-closed reserve flap - I'd be MUCH more worried about snagging the reserve pin in there than the poptop. That's the reason you saw this mod a lot on Older Javelins and the ilk as well.
W

Ya, I was wondering why they closed the reserve like that and if they could close it like a jav. I too thought that you could put that mod on there if you were a master rigger. I have also seen it done. Many of them on old vector II's. Why do you have to get a letter from Mike Furry to close it like a javelin? Is there special precautions or something you have to take that are different from a javelin or a dolphin?

Cheers,
Travis

Why do you have to get a letter from Mike Furry to close it like a javelin?

Because it isn't a Javelin. Riggers are required to follow the manufacturer's instructions, and the packing instructions for a Dolphin say to pack it like ... a Dolphin.;)

Mark

I would want it actually not as much for the pop-top but mainly to avoid catching the reserve pin. The Dolphins generally only have a Velcro-closed reserve flap - I'd be MUCH more worried about snagging the reserve pin in there than the poptop.

The 2004 Dolphins have a tuck flap on the bottom side of the reserve flap that tucks under the final reserve flap, protecting the pin. This reserve pin cover flap could be installed on this Dolphin along with closing the rig in a side/side, pilot chute, bottom, top, manner...

Mike
ChutingStar.com

Hello Wendy!

The Reflex deflector tabs are available from Action Air/Trident, the current TSO holder. They come with installation instructions -- I figure that's the same as manufacturer approval.

The one example I've seen of a CReW tab on a Javelin mid-flap appears to be installed at manufacture, so I'm guessing (though I'm not sure) that they have drawings and instructions that show how things go together under the TSO. If so, getting parts from Sunpath and doing a field installation would be straightforward. Similarly for the one example of a modified Vector I've seen. Regardless, modifying the reserve container is not something for casual, creative rigging.

The Dolphins you've seen with mods: are the flaps closed Javelin-style? How are the reserve pin and reserve pin flap protected?

Mark

The rigs I have seen with this mod are mostly vector II's. The final reserve flap on a javelin is basically the same. The only difference is that a Vector II doesn't have the exposed pop top. The flap is only sewn on one side(the bottom side), so it lets the reserve container open up nice and freely. It doesn't obstruct the way the pilot chute would come out. And I am not trying to argue...I am just still curious...if pretty much any rigger can get permission from mike furry to close the dolphin like a javelin, why isn't it just allowed?

Cheers,
Travis

I use a Lightning 143, which packs up more like a 160 or 170, and a pdr 143 reserve. I am actually more looking for a second rig for video. I have a javelin and would prefer another NJ if I could get one for cheap. My mind's open though. I am looking for another pdr 126 or a pdr 143 for another rig.

Cheers,
Travis

Because it isn't a Javelin. Riggers are required to follow the manufacturer's instructions, and the packing instructions for a Dolphin say to pack it like ... a Dolphin.;)

Mark

I just talked to Mike Furry and he said a rigger doesn't have to have permission from him, because when they tested the dolphin, they closed it like a javelin also and it didn't change the way it deployed. He said it is simply a matter of whether or not the rigger feels comfortable closing it that way.

Cheers,
Travis

Altico sells CRW reserve deflector flaps which you can have them or any master rigger put on your rig. The flap keeps lines from going under the top reserve flap when the rig is closed like a Javelin. I seem to remember that Altico only charged me around $15 for it.