promise5

zombies? seriously??

Just got done with a marathon of the Resident Evil movies and what the crap? I don't see the fascination with zombies. Rather battle aliens, much more of a challenge. Oh and the Predator, now that's a challenge! But, then my 10 yr old sister beats me at COD and Halo. :P:P
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

I think some of the appeal to zombies vs aliens is that they were us at one point.

Might be easier to kill an anonymous alien, but killing the zombified remains of your daughter might be more difficult since there would still be emotional bonds.

just my 2 cents on why zombies have become the soup de jour lately.

Horror movies tend to follow what the population as a whole is afraid of. In Japan it's Godzilla, the unstoppable force of nature. In the 60's and 70's it was radiation and the fear that mankind would go too far with science before he was ready. For a while it was werewolves and vampires, though vampires seem to sell more to the teenage girl demographic than the population as a whole. Zombies are, what, I guess an unknown biological threat turning us in to something that looks like us but is no longer us?

I still have a short story from the old Heavy Metal Magazine stuck in my head, about a couple of boys (One a fish for a head for some reason) meeting a normal-looking little boy who claims to be a monster. They ridicule the idea and point out that he's just an ordinary little boy. "I know, " he says "but I'm a monster on the inside." So the two other boys decide they want to be monsters too, and they go around doing all manner of horrific things. When the angry mob of villagers shows up, the little boy who said he was a monster was nowhere to be found, so the mob casts the two other boys out and they end up starving to death. The last panel is the monster-boy standing over their skeletons and saying "I told you I was a monster."

Monsters are easily dealt with. Your own nature, not so much.

If you want a different kind of monster movie, check out Frank Zappa's "Uncle Meat" album, second disc, where they talk about trying to make the Mothers of Invention monster movie. "When she sees the monster she claims she's going to vomit. But really, it gets her hot..."
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Zombies are no particular race, religion, age etc.
EVERYBODY can hate 'em & not be racist. ;)

The "monsters" in stories have throughout history frequently been nothing more than socially acceptable surrogates for real life "enemies." I think the modern zombie represents our own people (whoever they may be) becoming "infected" by whatever socio-econmic "other" we happen to disagree with taking over.

So, yeah, I think you've pretty much nailed that one.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Movie zombies aren't that good.

Book zombies are much better.

Start with Day By Day Armageddon and continue with White Flag Of The Dead. Finish those series and I can recommend a few more. Maybe I'll be done with the rewrites/edits on my novel by the end of the year and you can read that one too.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

[reply In Japan it's Godzilla, the unstoppable force of nature.

I always thought it was an atomic war cautionary tale.

If you want a different kind of monster movie, check out Frank Zappa's "Uncle Meat" album, second disc, where they talk about trying to make the Mothers of Invention monster movie. "When she sees the monster she claims she's going to vomit. But really, it gets her hot..."

Some of the body's reactions to fear mimic the sensations of love/lust. That's why horror movies are so popular for dates and skydivers get lucky so much. ;)

The trailer for World War Z looks remarkable.

Yeah, trailers often do [:/].

I'm reading the book at the moment - has an interesting approach. I can't see there being much correlation between it and the movie.

Most reports say that WWZ has had the Starship Troopers treatment.

WWZ is a decent zombie book, but there are others that I enjoyed much more. WWZ is a "zombie book for the masses," people who aren't really into the genre.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."