airtwardo

~ Flu Shot

There's something like 1000 strains of flu, from what I've heard. Six months ago the drug companies took a guess at what was coming this winter. They throw 5 or 6 strains in the mix and sell it. I'm a bettin' man and would never bet on anything with those odds.

The WHO studies what strains are prevalent in the southern hemisphere and then, based on the southern hemisphere, makes recommendations what strains should then be targeted in the northern hemisphere. The vaccine is then grown in fertilized chicken eggs starting in March. To say that they "guess" is just not true.

The flu vaccine has been proven to save lives, particularily in the very young and the very old. While healthy adults may only have minor symptoms, they could pass it on to someone more vulnerable, and this is why the more people that get vaccinated the better.

Ugh... got one Friday afteroon. Friday night the non-stop runny nose and low fever started. Then it was really miserable Sunday... thought I was feeling better so I scheduled a facial and massage at a spa for Monday afternoon. During the facial I started to get dizzier and thought I was spiking a fever. Went to the massage a little while later and the massage therapist told me my face felt like I was burning up with fever. I felt like a truck ran me over in the course of about 2 hours. I've never in my life end a massage early (I'm a total spa slut) but I asked her to stop, I got up, got dressed and then had the longest drive home (20 minutes) of my life. I'm still feeling shitty but I can't imagine it's the true flu.

I'm not getting the shot next year. I'll take my chances, the illness came on pretty fast and then got nasty.

Screw that.
Always be kinder than you feel.

I've gotten them in the past, typically when my employer makes it super-easy for me. I've never gotten the flu (even though I've gone more years without a shot than with), and I've never had a bad reaction from a shot. I currently work for a health care organization, so they push hard for all employees to get the vaccine, and make it very easy for us to do so. However, since I'm not on the "front lines" of care delivery (or anywhere close) I'm at no higher risk than any other office worker of my age & health status, so I don't feel like it's a big deal for me not to get one.

In recent years, I've become much more aware of what I will and won't put in my body, and am actively seeking non-pharmacological solutions to ongoing health issues. This year, that includes the flu shot; I'd rather manage my risk by building up my immunity. I focus on eating clean, real food from good source (pastured meat, organic produce), and staying active and getting good sleep. All of those things conspire to keep my immune system humming pretty well so that I have (so far) managed to avoid all the cold/flu/other crap that's been floating around this winter. In fact, the only time I can recall being sick in recent memory was a relatively minor cold in October when I had eight trips to various U.S. locations within seven weeks. Being on planes constantly and shifting time zones took its toll on me, but I was able to get through it pretty quickly thanks to strong defenses.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

There have been long-term studies published that flu shots are only about 55-60% effective anyways.

From the article I posted above

Flu vaccine is actually less than two percent effective, based on the figures

But as we reported back in 2011, the data the CDC is using to claim even a 60 percent effectiveness rate for the flu shot is largely misinterpreted. Only about 2.7 in 100 adults gets the flu every year on average, according to the Lancet published meta-analyses that the CDC is referring to with its 60 percent effectiveness claim. But when you introduce vaccines into the picture, that number only drops by 1.5 percent.

My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

There have been long-term studies published that flu shots are only about 55-60% effective anyways.

From the article I posted above

Flu vaccine is actually less than two percent effective, based on the figures

But as we reported back in 2011, the data the CDC is using to claim even a 60 percent effectiveness rate for the flu shot is largely misinterpreted. Only about 2.7 in 100 adults gets the flu every year on average, according to the Lancet published meta-analyses that the CDC is referring to with its 60 percent effectiveness claim. But when you introduce vaccines into the picture, that number only drops by 1.5 percent.

I love how you can make statistics say darn near anything you want, but misquoting a single word says even more! (bolding mine)

http://www.naturalnews.com/033998_influenza_vaccines_effectiveness.html

If you go from 2.7 in 100 to 1.5 in 100, THAT's where the 60% effective (actually ~60% less likely to contract) rate comes in. Whether it becomes a statistically significant number is open to interpretation. :P

Statistics and semantics run hand and hand, IMO :D
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Might want to ask your Dr. for a prescription for Tamiflu

Went to the Doc with Capt. Mom...she was getting over it somewhat but still having trouble breathing.

They wrote me a script for Tamiflu ($120.00)...and took blood, Doc said I look awful.
~ "Yeah...I know, that's normal for me...ya aughta see what it looks like from the INSIDE lookin' OUT! " :o

I asked what to expect, and no I'm not on any other meds to interact.

"Dizziness, mood swings, possible vomiting & Hershey squirts, loss of appetite, possible rash..."

I dunno...maybe just gettin' the flu would have been better!

So...real fun weekend, can't tell if it's the flu or the medicine! :S

Hindsight is 20/20 ~ but ~ Next year...FLU SHOT for this candy-ass! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hi Mr T

Trust me :S

I think the flu shot program is a gov't plot to inject us with GPS microchips, micro mind readers etc

If "they" want to give us something to prevent the "flu" they can mail it to us so we can apply it to the exterior of our aluminum foil hoodie.:|

OTOH if my roomie had to be sealed inside a aluminum tube with to many: who? from Where? non refundable appointments[:/][:/][:/] Flue shots and whatever else is available.I wonder how long a bottle of air would last during one of her "sessions":D

In Japan there's lots of folks walking around in public wearing medical masks. I wonder if the the japanes get they flue less than we do.:|

Or is the flu shot vs medical masks a decision made for us for cultural reasons:S]

On a serious note :P

We did get the shingles shot. Shingles sounds nasty.B| washing hands don't work on that stuff.Hopefully we won't turn into zombies.>:(

Time for my nap.

One Jump Wonder

I just read on Facebook today that one of our skydiver friends has a friend who died from the Flu this week. She was a healthy, middle aged woman. So, for her family and friends, it's very real. [:/]

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

In Japan there's lots of folks walking around in public wearing medical masks. I wonder if the the japanes get they flue less than we do.

They aren't 'just' medical masks...they are bio masks.

Tokyo subway vending machines have 'em...yeah I KINDA DID ;)

http://www.medline.com/product/CURAD-BioMask-Antiviral-Isolation-Mask/Isolation-Masks/Z05-PF07326

I just read on Facebook today that one of our skydiver friends has a friend who died from the Flu this week. She was a healthy, middle aged woman. So, for her family and friends, it's very real. [:/]

Hi Moms

Sorry for your loss:(

I remember a reporter interviewing a guy on the unemployment line about the 8% rate. The man told the reporter when it happens to you it'snot 8% its 100%[:/]

Of course the flue is real. I think last year was supposed to be a real bad yr and the CDC came up with a rate of 30k/yr based on past records. B|

I'm lucky enough to have people so I don't have to be exposed to other peeps germs. Have you looked at how dirty the money in your purse is. Talk with a bank teller they wash their hands every 15 minutes, no licking thier fingers when counting the moneystack etc.:o

If I had to go to a job, use mass tranportation, go shopping etc than I would consider getting the shot.

I've got OLD so I'm officialy in a high risk group for serious adverse health effects when I get the flu.

The point I was trying to make is who's medical system is better?Is the Western way the only way?

Gotta go wash my hands and take my Nap;)
One Jump Wonder

Have you looked at how dirty the money in your purse is. Talk with a bank teller they wash their hands every 15 minutes, no licking thier fingers when counting the moneystack etc.

We do a lot of traveling so trying to stay healthy becomes almost an obsession with Capt. Mom & me...nothing worse than getting sick far from home.

Anti-bacterial hand wash is always in the easy reach pocket of my backpack. When you start paying attention to what you touch it gets scary.

There's people coughin', sneezin' & sweating everywhere at the gym, we all have our hands on the same equipment.

The young lady at the grocery store checkout today is not only handling dirty money but also blowing her nose in a pretty pink snot rag which she then stuffed in the apron pocket before handling every food item I purchased...and I wonder who was pushing the shopping cart before me? :S

If ya let it get away from you, ya can see why Michael Jackson wore a mask & glove! ;)

You can only do so much, but at least we're trying.

If ya let it get away from you, ya can see why Michael Jackson wore a mask & glove! ;)

Gallagher: I have to say something about people, even when it's somebody like Michael Jackson. I have to say something about a little dude who runs around the country wearing one glove and singing "Beat It!"
:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Hi T

Germs:S

When in rome:ph34r: If I go to the grocery store I watch the peeps as we enter the store. The ladies know where the handiwipes are stashed so I just do what they do. Wipe off the handle on the shopping cart.:)
My People usally pay but we both try and use plastic so we don't end upwiththe dirty cash as change. As a last resort we use paper. Haven't figured out what to do with the dirty change yet.:(

Cash:ph34r: our local bank lets us order the fresh stuff from the federal reserve.

The protocal at the bank is every time a employee touch's cash they have to count it[:/] I order mycash by the brick so why cant I just get the bricks after the teller washs their hands hands it over and leave.

"Not allowed"[:/]

But your going to get your germs on my clean money;)

How about if we run it thru the machine:).

The boss and I ended up in a conference room with a few bricks of nice clean untouched money and the branch manager and her assistant.

They took turns counting the money using a pencil erasor to flip thru the bills so they could count each one.:|

Took about a hr By the time we were done The pencil eraser was gettting worn down and was turning black. [:/]

I was :o at the service we got just by being nice, making a apointment and explaining our concerns in a cool calm manner. (no spelling required;)).

The bank must get some strange requests if they would go thru all that trouble for little old me. This little town has a lot of show dogs the boss and I are go dogs. Bibs long beard me the boss is a Q tip retired carpenter.

Gotta try my disinfecting handiwipes on my plastic CC's.
Thanks for the heads up Mr T.

Hiope your boss gets better real soon, Seperate bedrooms? :D

One Jump Wonder

Hope your boss gets better real soon, Separate bedrooms?

Separate time zones! ;)

Funny about the bricks of money...My Mom passed away last year, sis & I are slowly going through everything.

I found 1/2 a dozen bricks of $2 bills...Mom use to always give the grandkids gifts of money - always brand new two dollar bills.

Clean & shiney, not often seen...the kids always hung onto them...Grandma's sneaky way of encouraging a savings program! B|

Sis & I got quite a chuckle & we decided to continue the 'program' with OUR grand-kids! :)