3fLiEr

Barrel Rolls

Bored sat at work so I thought about things to do next time in the air........... its been a while......... this grounding lark sucks!!.......so..................Does anyone have experience of barrel rolling a canopy.
Firstly how can you test that the canopy your flying will create enough speed and momentum to actually barrel roll rather than dump you into the bottom skin and into one of the worst days of your life?
What drills can you practice leading towards this Manoeuvre?
How do you complete the barrel roll?
Thanks for any information..............
http://www.undercanopy.com/rolls/broll-crash.mpg
bsbd
"In a world where we are slaves to gravity I am pleased to be a freedom fighter"

speed and momentum to actually barrel roll rather than dump you into the bottom skin and into one of the worst days of your life?

... or more like the last day of our life. You fall into your shute and you can kiss your sorry ass good-bye.
Anyway good luck with your trial and error experience on that. Hope you'll stick around a bit longer to let us know how it went.
blue ones
Phil

I have done only 12 jumps since my grounding (2nd December 2000) at another DZ.......god i need some airtime!......... mmmm........ spain is close!
anyway I have learnt my lesson..... I enjoy the canopy ride now and get more of a buzz pulling off a nice low hook than I do from goingwaylow............... and I know have bets on with many people that I will not get grounded in 2002....... so I will be very well behaved.............. you wont recognise me!
bsbd
"In a world where we are slaves to gravity I am pleased to be a freedom fighter"

"I can join you freaks... and this time it's for good"
You will have to wait til march for me and Alex to fly withcha!!
So anyone with some constructive thoughts on this subject rather than - you gonna kill ya self or dont bottle it???.................. someone MUST know!!!
bsbd

Take a look at the thread on uk.rec here.
there are also a couple of threads on rec. -try a google search.
The guy in the vid is called Will Packard. He bust himself up in that crash.
Apparently the way to barrel roll is:
"get a really hard front riser dive going, get as
much speed as possible, then drop it, grab both rear risers just long enough
to get the canopy back above your head and then yank on the opposite rear
riser. I was told not to use toggles because there was a much greater chance
of running out of momentum partway through (and this sounded like it was
spoken from experience so I never tried it :) The rear riser technique works
great though. My Jedei would barrel roll nicely. Unfortunately I can't quite
build up enough speed on my Triathalon these days to roll it, so I haven't
done it in quite a while. Its definitely a rush though. Just watch the
horizon - that's how you can judge how steep the roll is. (And do this
high - just in case you do run out of momentum ;)"
And as for falling into the canopy, according to Will:
"This won't happen, as long as you are flying *level* when you start the roll.
The canopy will always be slightly behind you throughout the roll."
No I haven't tried it either, and I don't recommend that anybody does.Tell your lawyer: "I SWEAR GEOFF DID NOT ENCOURAGE ME TO TRY THIS" ;)
Geoff

I wouldn't recommend trying it on a regular canopy, but an airlock canopy works great!
Front riser the canopy to pick up speed, then let go and pull down hard on the opposite toggle and you will barrell roll. Once again, this is just for the airlock canopies. I tried it with my sabre and that was just scary! :D
Tee

Tee, you've got more guts than I do--can't say the same for balls tho.

LOL I hope not! lol
I tried it on my buddies Vengence first and it was a such a rush that the next jump on my sabre I thought...what the hell. I managed to twist my canopy in half and scare myself to death. But apparently that wasn't enough, I tried it again thinking maybe I did something wrong. I soon realized that it just isn't possible. :D
Tee

So would you say trying this on my Sabre135 loaded at 1.6 would not be advisable..... perhaps wait until I get a smaller elliptical.................??
Thanks for the help............ cheers Geoff!
bsbd

Just thought I'd mention, since the subject came up...
I've got a freefly suit winging its way to me from NZ in a coupla weeks. Yes folks, the dark side it is.....Bollocks, I knew I'd succumb one day, despite resisting the lure of those Crater brothers for so long....Farewell flat friends....the ungainly 'having a shit in mid air - squat' position beckons (sit-flying, is it? SO unfeminine..ah well).