sundevil777

I just got a teaching job!

I was a mechanical design engineer, decided to do the career change thing, and I've finally got a science teaching gig at a nice high school! Don't know what subject yet, they have to figure that out.

Hooray for me!
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

That's wonderful! just remember on the days when the kids all give you that huh? look, the days when they're all excited and interested.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Look into "Project Lead the Way"! As a former engineer, you may be interested. :)

Yes, I will only need one class to get the supplemental licensure to teach those classes, and the STEM/PLTW curriculum is huge at my school.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

One of my favorite science teachers in high school was my physics teacher, who was a longtime engineer in the Navy who picked up teaching as his second career. His enthusiasm for the subject was infectious!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Cliff, I hope you LOVE it. B|

I, too, had several teachers that inspired me (7th grade French teacher, for one :)).

I wish you great success in turning young minds on to the beauty and amazement of science.

Thanks! I'll try to emulate Ben Stein from Ferris Bueller's day off!

I've been substitute teaching for quite a long while. Being able to do that has prepared me well, besides the student teaching.

Let's set the record straight, shall we. You didn't decide to switch careers, giving up your six-figure ME job for $30 or 40k in teacher salary. That decision was not yours!

Fact is that there is an oversupply of STEM graduates (and that includes Engineering). What the world does not need, contrary to all published news, is another science, engineering, technology grad.

Am I being close?

I was a mechanical design engineer, decided to do the career change thing, and I've finally got a science teaching gig at a nice high school! Don't know what subject yet, they have to figure that out.

Hooray for me!

Let's set the record straight, shall we. You didn't decide to switch careers, giving up your six-figure ME job for $30 or 40k in teacher salary. That decision was not yours!

Fact is that there is an oversupply of STEM graduates (and that includes Engineering). What the world does not need, contrary to all published news, is another science, engineering, technology grad.

Am I being close?

Hooray for me!

Sorry, no, you got it wrong in my case.

Am I being close?

R I G H T!

Which is undoubtedly why STEM graduates get such lousy job offers on graduation from college.

www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2013/01/24/college-degrees-with-the-highest-starting-salaries-2/

NOT!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Am I being close?

Unfortunately, I think you are incorrect. Again, look into the PLTW website. In the USA, good engineers were hard to find. The initiative to up the stakes in engineering curriculum was funded by some of the big players in business and industry. They don't spend that kind of Cash$$ if they don't need to.

The idea is to produce "quality" STEM grads. We're not talking about computer literacy, we're talking about Technological Literacy. Manufactures need people to train for good paying Tech jobs. The skill sets needed for these jobs are pretty specific and extremely demanding.
… Oh! And as for teachers pay? A teacher with some experience and advanced degree can do very well. Plus, some make more $$$$ during their three month summer vacation than you do in a year. Something to consider?
B|
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."