Dutchboy

What a day

Just having a great day and had to share. I finished my flight review and am now a current pilot for the first time in over seven years! When I got home found my new Bev suit waiting for me. Now I hopefully won't spend my whole RW dives trying to get back up to the slow fallers.
If you don't care about flying stop reading now. OK, if you are still reading this you are probably a pilot. I just had to tell the best part of my flight review. I'm cruising around and he pulls the power and says "You just lost the engine, where are you going to land". I trimmed it out for best glide and looked around a bit. Saw an airport a good 6-8 miles away. Focused on it for a couple seconds and said "I'm going to land there". He was very sceptical and I told him if I didn't make it there was a field between me and the airport I was going to go for. I not only made the field I had to do a 360 on final to burn up the extra altitude. Nice landing. My only dead stick landing. He's never had anyone actually land at an airport on a simulated engine failure before.
He was really impressed. At first I think he thought I was just lucky. Then I asked him if he wanted to know why I knew I would make it. I told him about the accuracy trick I learned skydiving and about how my angle to the airport got steeper and not less shallow, etc. You should have seen the look on his whuffo face. BTW, I always wear skydiving shirts when I fly just to see what the other pilots say.
Sorry to bore y'all with this. But hey, I'm just really happy and you didn't have to read it anyway now did you?
The Dutchboy
PPSEL - and actually current again

WOW when you said he cut the engine I was expecting you to tell us how you told him what you should do in that situation. I didnt know they would actually make you land the thing. Kinda like skydiving, they teach you about all the mals but hey dont purposely pack one for yu to figure out what you would do!!(or do they) > Any way nice job. Hey by the way hows this for an idea. We all know tey have fully scale remote controlled planes. How about you learn to fly one of those, and then take one up to altitude jump out w/ the remote and then when you land you can land it. B|. that will save you jump money wont it ?? :)

There are a couple problems with the RC idea. First, the RC plane would likely cost as much as the plane I've been building for the last four years that's nearly done. Second, I couldn't log the flight time on the RC. Third, gotta get my own jump plane and let one of my friends fly it to build time. Fourth, I have way too much fun jumping with my friends in the otter at Skydive Atlanta.
You know I think those RC planes are harder to fly since you aren't actually sitting in them, but maybe it's just me.

Hey Dutchboy,
I'm a pilot also, that's a great story. Congrats on being current again. I know what you mean about most pilots not understanding why anyone would jump. All the instructors here, except mine, think I'm crazy. My instructor is the youngest of all the others and he is more open, in fact I think he might jump this summer. Actually the guy that owns the flight school I got my Private Pilot's license at had a part in my desire to jump. He didn't know why a person would want to jump, but he used to fly jumpers and told me a story of one. She was there to do her first jump on the static line progression and he was the pilot. She was a small girl and was kind of scared to jump. She finally climbed out onto the step and got ready to go, but kept hanging on. He put in a little bit of power to maintain altitude and when he looked over she had jumped. When he got back on the ground she told him how great it was and thanked him for the help. He didn't mean to blow her off with the power, but being small she did blow off. He told me she went on to be a professional skydiver with a demo team for a beer company, Coors I think. Sorry for the long post, but I thought it was a good story and was the first time I really thought about trying a jump. Congratulations again on your flight review.
Blue Skies,
Adam

I finished my flight review and am now a current pilot for the first time in over seven years!

Dutchboy,
Congrats! I'm in the same boat (so to speak) or plane for that matter... You know: "No bucks, No Buck Rogers." I haven't "logged" a PIC hour in about the same period of time! It's pretty funny, first being a pilot, then becoming a skydiver years later. My pilot friends really call me "crazy!" They say: "You fly planes! Not jump out of them!" Some of these guys I almost consider whuffos. :)

. I told him about the accuracy trick I learned skydiving and about how my angle to the airport got steeper and not less shallow, etc. You should have seen the look on his whuffo face.

Nice one, Dutch! You're makin' us proud!
Frank

Dutchboy - Congratulations!
Now of course we are all wondering which side you will choose around the BBQ fire : pilots slagging skydivers or skydivers slagging pilots
;)
Shark :

thing I miss most is a summertime (in SoCal) IFR departure to VFR on top

You kiss your mother with that mouth??? Bloody pilots, using anagrams us skuffos (skydiving whuffos) don't understand...
:)/s